Sign in with
Your question

Are my temps too high for an oc'ed i7 2600k

Last response: in CPUs
June 14, 2011 10:59:58 AM

literally just built this yesterday, and looking at other peoples overclocks, oc'ed mine straight to 4.5ghz stable (seemingly). however i have a noctua nh-d14 which is supposed to be one of the best cpu coolers if not the best available, yet other people report having like mid 20's idle and i have mid 30's.

ambient temp is 20.8 and cpu is 34 degrees Celsius. is this bad? i am gonna post a screenshot of voltages in a sec. Also, im new to intel, i came from amd, so i was literally just looking at other peoples overclocks for voltage help etc, primarily this site:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-...

in the table down the bottom, 4th row down. I have not gone as high as their voltages as my oc is only 4.5ghz, i have gone pretty much halfway between stock and their voltages on all of them, apart from dram.

im running 16gb 2133mhz cas9 lol ;) 

More about : temps high 2600k

a b à CPUs
June 14, 2011 11:31:25 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about idle temps being off from other folk's temps....

Run a few instances of Prime95 and/or SuperPi....

In 30 minutes, you'll know your 'at 100% load' temps...

(yes, your Noctua is pretty close to being 'king' at the moment)
June 14, 2011 11:38:44 AM

as this screenie depicts, i have just noticed my mobo claims my cpu is much higher than the 34 degrees i stated earlier, which is what both coretemp and realtemp said. this has just gone up to 36 by the way still idle, with an ambient of 21 degrees.

anywho here are my voltages.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/9959/110614120728.pn...

so. is this a normal temperature? or should i reseat my noctua? Perhaps the thermal paste was too thick?

Related resources
June 14, 2011 11:43:21 AM

mdd1963 said:
I wouldn't worry too much about idle temps being off from other folk's temps....

Run a few instances of Prime95 and/or SuperPi....

In 30 minutes, you'll know your 'at 100% load' temps...

(yes, your Noctua is pretty close to being 'king' at the moment)

temps are higher than id like at load. they just shot up to 65 from 35 within a few seconds on prime 95, so id guess theyd top out at 70. i mean seriously for a noctua nh-d14? even with higher voltages? surely it shouldnt go higher than mid 50's with this cooler. i thinking reseating. ughhh, i spent ages on this yesterday
June 14, 2011 11:46:02 AM

also guys, when running p95, coretemp says my cpu VID is 1.35?? this is not the 1.3 i set. however i have load line calibration turned to extreme in the bios, which i think ups the voltage on max load if i am correct? Do i need this for my overclock? and is this what is causing my temps to be high?
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2011 3:57:27 PM

I don't think your temps are too high. I switched my system (2500K) to 4.5GHz at 1.328v. It idles at 29ºC and gets Prime95 peak of 50ºC -- and that's with a real water cooling system. I'd expect your NH-D14 to get mid 60sºC or so.

And don't worry about BIOS temps ... they will always be high as the CPU cannot go into low-power idle mode until it boots fully into Windows.

As far as CPU voltage readings go, I've found CPU-Z to be more accurate than Core Temp. Core Temp's temp readings seem to be accurate (based on comparisons with other temp programs), but it's "off" when it comes to voltage.

Edit: One thing you might try is decreasing the CPU PLL voltage. That could decrease your temps a bit. I run mine at 1.7v and it's rock-solid stable.
June 14, 2011 4:56:05 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
I don't think your temps are too high. I switched my system (2500K) to 4.5GHz at 1.328v. It idles at 29ºC and gets Prime95 peak of 50ºC -- and that's with a real water cooling system. I'd expect your NH-D14 to get mid 60sºC or so.

And don't worry about BIOS temps ... they will always be high as the CPU cannot go into low-power idle mode until it boots fully into Windows.

As far as CPU voltage readings go, I've found CPU-Z to be more accurate than Core Temp. Core Temp's temp readings seem to be accurate (based on comparisons with other temp programs), but it's "off" when it comes to voltage.

Edit: One thing you might try is decreasing the CPU PLL voltage. That could decrease your temps a bit. I run mine at 1.7v and it's rock-solid stable.

cheers il try lowering that.

by the way do most people, youself included have speedstep on? i.e. it turns down voltage and clock speed or ups it depending on load? i had that turned on, but i had the manual voltage thing set and not offset. i enables the offset and now my idle temp is like 31 degrees and load about 62, with an ambient of 23.7. This seems slightly better. Just wondering if most people have this mode enabled as this would be why other peoples temps were so low in comparison
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2011 7:37:30 PM

Sandy Bridge is designed to have SpeedStep enabled, yes. This is so you save power when the system doesn't need its full speed. It's also less wear and tear on the system, so it should last longer. The vast majority of users should have it this way.

I do not have SpeedStep enabled. I am an extreme overclocker/gamer, so I like the CPU to be at top speed all of the time. It doesn't matter to me that my system won't last as long, as I'll be upgrading long before it dies anyway.
June 14, 2011 7:39:25 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
Sandy Bridge is designed to have SpeedStep enabled, yes. This is so you save power when the system doesn't need its full speed. It's also less wear and tear on the system, so it should last longer. The vast majority of users should have it this way.

I do not have SpeedStep enabled. I am an extreme overclocker/gamer, so I like the CPU to be at top speed all of the time. It doesn't matter to me that my system won't last as long, as I'll be upgrading long before it dies anyway.

i would do this too, and i aim to upgrade in around 3 or 4 years, but it makes me more comfortable seeing the temps lower like most other people's
!