Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
PC specs are this:
MB: DFI lanparty x58 t3eh6
CPU: intel core i7 920
RAM: 3x2gb corsair ddr3 1600mhz ram
GPU: radeon hd4870
PSU: coolermaster 650 watt RS-650-PCAR-E3

The other day, while playing battlefield 3, my computer just switched off (had been running perfectly for 3+months i've owned it). no blue screen, just off. Long story short, did some digging and worked out the issue was probably the PSU (apparently this particular model PSU is rubbish).

Tested the PSU with a multimeter as per this site's guide, all voltages were within acceptable tolerances. Got to this step:Check Pin 8 (Gray, Power_OK) should be 3~5V to signal the CPU that power is okay to start. If not above 2.5V then signal not high enough to trigger CPU for start.

And sure enough, my multimeter read zero volts. So, i plugged the PSU into another machine i had lying around, and it booted/operated fine- which rules out the PSU as the issue.

When the PSU is plugged in and switched on, the "standby power" LED is lit, but the "DRAM power" LED is not. When the power button on the motherboard is pressed, connected fans will "twitch," but nothing is displayed on the onboard POST display.

What do you guys suggest?

Does all this point to a faulty motherboard?

warmtape

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Sweet cheers for your help. Even if it is the motherboard, it wont hurt to upgrade my PSU, so i'm not too worried about spending the money. Will replace the PSU and post back with the results.

warmtape

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Alright, so replaced the PSU with the Antec High Current Gamer 620w. Still having exactly the same problem.

Something i've noticed: Motherboard's manual states this regarding LED's:

"DRAM Power LED- This LED will light when the system’s power is on.
Standby Power LED-This LED will light when the system is in the standby mode."

So if I read this right, when the PSU has power, but the computer is off, only the "standby power" LED should be lit, and once the power button is pressed, both the DRAM and Standby Power LED's should be lit?

See above.
At power-on, the fans twitch, and then nothing happens. No POST codes on the LED.
-- The CPU has not had time to overheat and shut-down the computer.
-- You connected the 8-pin power connector to the CPU_PWR connector on the motherboard.
-- You connected both power leads to the GPU.
You may have a dead motherboard, but DFI made some of the best boards available. Unplug the system from the wall, wait for the standby LEDs to extinguish. Find the CLR_CMOS and move the jumper to cover the exposed pin and the middle pin, wait a few seconds, and then replace the jumper to its original position. Plug-in and power-on the system.

Does it POST and boot?

warmtape

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Currently the POST LED does nothing... I've tried resetting the CMOS, but not since I replaced the power supply.

Will check this when I get home and report back. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS