Wiki - Docs etc.

Hi,

as there has been much talk about the docs etc. lately and it was
stated several times, that we should have a way to work collaboratively
on the docs and other things i decided to put up a wiki. I think this
could be used for raceguides too.
If there's interest, i could also put up a Error-Reporting System
(bugzilla) so that all errors/feature requests etc. could be well
organized.

Well waiting for your replies and some material for the wiki.

Ahhh most important - the link:

h t t p ://
shove-it.de/
open/
jochen/
wiki/
index.php/
Main_Page

Jochen

i like this flower ;)
Well it's a plain media-wiki (used by wikipedia etc.), but íst
customizable...

Where to start? If the creators of existing guides allow us, we could
use these guides as starting material in the Race Guides Section.

Ahh, it just saw there are some "Tips & Tricks" ;)

Jochen

I just added a bug and a feature request page.
These could be more up to date then Tim's...

Jochen

Hi !
I would humbly throw in my ,02 cent of experience with privs.

Great initiatives need to be supported.

Andreas

This is a very good idea, I hope many ppl get involved. Tim could do the
fial editing of the doc.

Lord Lancelot

I like the Idea to have a wiki, but could it be a little more Planets Style
:)

What do we start with ?

splitted

"Black No1" <keineahnungwas@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> as there has been much talk about the docs etc. lately and it was
> stated several times, that we should have a way to work collaboratively
> on the docs and other things i decided to put up a wiki. I think this
> could be used for raceguides too.
> If there's interest, i could also put up a Error-Reporting System
> (bugzilla) so that all errors/feature requests etc. could be well
> organized.
>
> Well waiting for your replies and some material for the wiki.
>
> Ahhh most important - the link:
>
> h t t p ://
> shove-it.de/
> open/
> jochen/
> wiki/
> index.php/
> Main_Page
>

> Jochen

A great idea!

In fact, this needs to be supported.

Yalnin

Hi Paul,

First of all, thanks for your contributíon and thanks for the link ;)

Regarding the race guides:
As I stated, the wiki is meant to be the community's playground. So I
can imagine links to existing guides hosted somewhere else (for example
at your (great ;) page) and race guides etc. directly written in the
wiki (This could be a chance for people, who are willing to
contribute, but think a whole race guide would be too much work for
them).

Regarding the Relationship to Wikipedia:
The Wiki uses the same software as Wikipedia (MediaWiki), but the wiki
is hosted at a server I rent with some friends. So no direct
relationship.

Regarding the Tips:
"You state..." <-- I state nothing ;) Remember this is a wiki and this
article was not written by me. So if you're sure somehting is wrong,
change it by yourself or maybe a bit more "polite" than a direct change
you could discuss it. Every page has a "discussion" tab, so this could
be a way to tell that you think something should be changed in a
article.

mmh maybe we should work out some guidelines on writing in the wiki,
like "don't simply overwirte someone elses articles. Write something in
the discussion tab before." and the like...

As i said, this Wiki is for the community, not only for me and it
should be done by the communtiy, not only by me.

Jochen

Fantastic work. Well done. This has huge potential. I have put a link to
this on Klingon Kommand. Please let me know if the description is OK.

I have added some comments for a Rebel Guide.

I suggest that rather than transfer extant race guides to this site, you
simply link to them.

Can you explain the relationship between this site, and the "real"
Wikipedia?

You state in your Tips section that you need 400k colonists to gather
contraband at the full rate. This was changed to 1 million colonists in
host 160. (And while checking that, I realised that my "tip" for the
Rebels says selling contraband makes crime - this may no longer be true-
see Host 188)
--
Paul Honigmann

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Hi Jochen,

I like what you have placed here; however, I am wondering how useful it
is when reviewing Tim's Online Help Documents. Too many Cooks and all
that. Especially with many items within the help documents, sparking
off debates and arguments over certain issues and such. Plus the
documents need to be written in a way of a Help File rather than a
newsgroup, if you know what I mean.

I don't know what I am looking for exactly, but a forum where everyone
has update rights is not exactly what I would be looking for. I would
love to leave it there for updates but I don't think I would get the
results that I would be looking for. If you have any ideas or
suggestions would be great. Especially, if it helps.

Doc.

It's good that some is trying to do this. I actually almost managed to
start a Wiki after the last converstation on the subject -
unfortunately I'm not that much of a technical guy so I sort of run
into a dead end. - I am however somewhat of an web designer... on a
good day.

Maybe I should combine the forces with Jochen and see what we can cook
up? Expect a long email any time now.

Skies

... although it might take a while since I can't find your email
address. You can send me email through Drewheads (handle: Skies)

- The Same

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

I would be an application & database developer myself and not really a
web designer so I would be looking for help from you guys on this.

Ideally what I would be looking for is something along the lines of (if
possible):
At the top of the page is the original document which nobody but the
editor can edit.
People can add their comments at the base of the page.
The Editor can review the comments and amend the original copy of the
document online.
The Editor can mark these comments as 'open', 'pending' or 'closed'
when the comment is applied.
All new comments made have a status of 'open' by default.
There should also be a link to closed comments, which should be taken
off the main review page when the comment is closed.

This would help a lot, but I don't know if it can be done. Even then
original Race Guide Editors would still then be able to maintain
control over their pages while gaining good comments from the community
and ensure the document is kept uptodate.

Hi Doc,

First of all: respect to your work on the docs.

Regarding your wish to protect documents:
In the wiki I'm using for the planetswiki, you *can* protect pages. As
an example, I protected the page "jochen". Other people can still
comment on the page using the discussion tab. That way the person that
is responsible for a certain page can still "mark these comments as
'open', 'pending' or 'closed' ".

Jochen

Hi Doc,

As stated in my other reply, there are ways to protect pages, so that
only "admins" would be able to change them.
But in most cases I think, that the concept to let all people edit
works - Just have a look at wikipedia...

and regarding the "debates and arguments over certain issues":
I don't know if there would be that much of them? The docs are about
'facts', not opinions, so they shouldn't differ? Hmm, ok at least they
shouldn't differ that much... ;)

Jochen

You mean me or doc?

If me, an email adress can be found at the wiki (recent changes: look
for Jochen)

Jochen

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Hi Jochen,

This would be want I would be looking for...

However, I think I have just updated your page.

Doc.

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

No I cannot reproduce it now. Excellent!

So how do I go about setting up the files etc for editing on wiki?

[You can email me through Drewshead, if you want to take this offline,
My profile is "Doc"]

I just mailed you through Drew and gave you the details.
Has the mail arrived?

Jochen

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Hi Jochen,

I have the login etc. Thanks.

However, how does one add a new page to Wiki?
Under Documentation, I can edit, but I am unable to add a new page.
There will be 166 pages in total to be added & edited.

Doc.

Hi Doc,

You just have to add a link in double brackets to the page like
[[Fighters]] or alternatively add the descriptive text like
[[Fighters|All you wanna know about fighters]].
If you click on the link, and the page (in this case 'Fighters')
doesn't exist, you're instantly taken to an edit screen, where you can
create the page and save it.
If the page already exists, you can make a reference to it like
described above.
External links are done either directly like http://www.example.com or
in single brackets like [http://www.example.com] using brackets you can
also add a descriptive Text liks [[http://www.example.com Example
title]].

Further Information on editing wiki-pages can be found at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents#For_editors

Jochen

Regarding the help files: I think the official help files should be on
tim's page, but the wiki could be a working ground for revisions of the
help (and other infos). Like a beta version (hmm we are in beta aren't
we ;)). So the help files could be (at least) almost correct for a
fixed host/date. The wikis could also include things that changed or
additions to the help files, which could then be put in the next
version of the official help.

Regarding existing pages like clausimu's: I think it would be great, if
we could take infos from these pages and use them for the wiki. But of
course the repsonsible persons should be asked before.There are lots of
infos scattered over many pages. I see the wiki also as a chance to use
the power of the communtiy to collect these infos together and update
them, because it takes a huge amount of time to do it for one person.
So everyone, who wants to contribute: you're welcome!

Jochen

See the wiki primary as addition to the help files. There´re a lot of things
that are not written in the help files. Put them in the wiki and fine. Once
Clausimu´s page had those extra info but it´s old by now and many new rules
have come in.

Greetings
Sebastian

I would give it a try, let Doc put the Docfiles in the wiki,
let him protect certain pages and maybe let some be unprotected.

I think it will be an advantage either way.

splitted

"Sebastian" <Sebastian@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> See the wiki primary as addition to the help files. There´re a lot of
> things that are not written in the help files. Put them in the wiki and
> fine. Once Clausimu´s page had those extra info but it´s old by now and
> many new rules have come in.
>

> Greetings
> Sebastian

TRENDING THREADS