Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI Raedon HD 5770 freezes when playing video

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2011 6:25:47 PM

My HD 5770 freezes my computer when playing video or a graphic intensive game such as "Left 4 Dead2". It doesn't freeze when playing Amnesia. I have replaced my old SATA drive and then ran SeaTools, Memetest 86, replaced my firewall (it was giving me install issues), uninstalled(plus DriveSweeper) and reinstalled CCC and graphics driver.

Any ideas as to where I should go from here?

This is my system below:

<<< System Summary >>>
> Mainboard : Gigabyte P55-UD3R
> Chipset : Intel P55
> Processor : Intel Core i5 750 @ 2666MHz
> Physical Memory : 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
> Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
> Hard Disk : Seagate ATA Device (160GB)
> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG HM120JC (120GB)
> DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD RW DRU-810A
> Monitor Type : LG Electronics L222W - 22"
> Network Card : RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit
> Operating System : Windows 7 (64-bit)
> DirectX : Version 11.00
> Windows Performance Index : 5.2 on 7.9
January 9, 2011 7:18:19 PM

You didnt mention the power supply.Most freezing issues are due to inefficient power supply.My previous pc was freezing even without a Graphic card since the power supply had on 10Amp on the 12v rail.
Score
January 9, 2011 7:39:16 PM

Sorry, Here's the PS spec.

Mushkin HP-550 550W ATX 12V 24PIN SLI Ready
Score
Related resources
April 10, 2011 5:21:42 PM

You have the same problem as I do, although my rig often freezes even when I'm doing something innocuous like typing a message into facebook. Quite often, it will play games without an issue but it will always freeze when transcribing video using autoGK. Having read some forum entries I thought this may be a windows 7 or driver issue, but a full reinstall and driver update has not fixed it. I also thought it may be a voltage setting issue for 2D on the card may be at fault but the fix that's been posted relies on the earlier version of Catalyst with Profile settings (these options don't appear to be available with the new "presets"). Any ideas welcome as I'm dreading having to buy another PSU and/or graphics card just to check if it's this or the mobo which is failing. The internet is full of 5770 card issues, so my suspicion is that....

GigaByte H55M-UD2H LGA1156, Cfire, DDR3, SATA2, mATX
Intel i5 750 2.66GHz LGA1156 Processor
4Gb (2X2Gb) Dual Channel DDR3 1333Mhz Memory
1024Mb ATi Radeon HD 5770 PCI-Express VGA Card
NEC AD-5240S-0B 24x+/-DVD-R SATA DL DVD Writer
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200rpm S-ATAII 32MB Hard Drive
NZXT Beta Black ATX Gaming Case
600W Silver SLI Ready 24Pin PSU
Score
April 10, 2011 5:40:24 PM

Calculate your load and purchase PSU with established quality and realiability

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

You can get reviews of specific model/brand on this site

http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php
If your PSU is not on this site its probably new release or its not worth reviewing at all. You will be able to see BAD performing PSUs and Great PSU on this site.

My personal preference is corsair...

Good PSU are Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, Antec, Enermax

Score
April 10, 2011 8:33:11 PM

bladesew said:
I have this one

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=PS-X6...

I assume by "Generics" - this means it's just a generic unbadged PSU?

What you have is not a good PSU... Use known brand with history of reliability and quality. Brand that have excellent reviews. Even experience users from this sites recommend these brands. These are based on actual experience.

Read the PSU reviews. It is pretty detailed with good rating method to grade different PSU.

Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, enermax, Antec.

PSU Reviews are very detailed:
Score
April 17, 2011 8:42:49 PM

leon2006 said:
What you have is not a good PSU... Use known brand with history of reliability and quality. Brand that have excellent reviews. Even experience users from this sites recommend these brands. These are based on actual experience.

Read the PSU reviews. It is pretty detailed with good rating method to grade different PSU.

Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, enermax, Antec.

PSU Reviews are very detailed:

My PSU is fine and of good quality. This definitely not the problem. If it was it would happen regularly and when playing memory intensive games etc. The only time I've noticed it happening lately is when I am watching a video (any format i.e. divx, youtube, flash) and a update to either Firefox or one of my addons (i.e. adobe flash, adblock plus etc) automatically updates. I know this is what is going on because when I restart Firefox I almost always seem to have a notice about a recent update. And before you say Firefox is to blame, I 've had similar issues with IE, and Google Chrome. This leads me to believe that it is something to do with Windows 7 64 bit. It started happening after an update that was pushed out some time in December. I've contacted MIcrosoft but they won't help because I got my version of Windows through my school and their policy does not allow them to support these products. What a good way to buy student loyalty eh? NOT So if anyone has had the same issue and got a fix from Microsoft I would appreciate a heads up.
Score
Anonymous
October 14, 2011 1:50:44 PM

Same for me - after a lot of blue screens (conflict: work cycle CPU<->GPU, win 7) the hard-disc was gone! >>> my advice: change the card!
Score
October 24, 2011 2:45:45 AM

I believe the problem was my RAM. Even though I performed memory tests (passed) nothing showed. However I recently decide to upgrade my RAM to a higher speed and 16GB, and have had no issues since. It's been about one month now.
Score
November 6, 2011 6:10:16 AM

nothing to do with PSU or RAM, my system was running fast and fine until several "Windows 7 recommended updates" to video card and then more freezing whenever playing flash or video - I read this from another site, disable hardware acceleration within Flash settings, so far working in the last twenty minutes ;) 
Score
November 12, 2011 11:52:16 PM

JunkieRx angel2011..If you have to disable hardware acceleration then I would think it's a symptom of another issue.

Regardless, It's been two months now and I haven't had a single freeze or BSOD. I'm even running VMWare with multiple OS with no issues. I'd say my problem is solved.
Thank you for your input.
Score
!