Why can't I run my computer through my router

G

My computer works fine using my cable modem with no issues. Once a hookup my router ( I have tried 3 different routers) I lose connectivity. The message I get is:

Local Area Connection 2

This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. For more info. click this message. When I do that I get the following:

The problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

Please help.

Frank

G

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

G

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

Thanks for getting back to me, but I have windows xp and don't know how to select TCP/IP properties

G

Well, the steps described work with XP:

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
alternately, control panel - network connections - local area connection - right click on that, then properties. scroll down to tcp/ip and click on properties.

also try running a command prompt, then type "ipconfig /all" and let us know what that says.