Wat. Z68 mobo has no display port. Isn't Z for switchable graphics?

flossbandit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Ordered this thing a few days ago and it's supposed to be coming in today. I was looking at pictures of it just now and I realized it has no display port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188096

This may be a big under-informed noobfail, but I thought the whole purpose of the Z68 chipset was for using both display types as well as overclocking.

I used my last motherboard's HDMI port when troubleshooting some graphics problems and seems like it would be kind of nice to have if I had any more trouble.

Guess it doesn't really matter either way because I'll always be using a GPU, but the question remains. What's up wit dis?

Please embarrass me.

EVGA assumes anyone buying one of their boards is not going to be using the IGP off of the CPU, so they decided to not offer it.

Kind of strange that they didn't just sell the P67 instead of moving to the Z68 chipset.

You are correct that switchable IGP is one of the big differences between P67 and Z68. The other being SSD caching.

Correct, not all mobos have the HDMI/VGA/Display ports .... ASUS included.

The gamers mobos don't have them...
If u want to use it, exchange it. It sucks, but that is the choice.

flossbandit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I'm not really bothered with it I don't guess. Just seemed strange.

Anyway, I got it in and had everything installed in about an hour and fifteen minutes. Then put the same HDD that I had in the other mobo (an RMA) and it wouldn't fire up. Really grinds my gears because I just formatted about a week ago and already had 15 or so games and 53GB of Seinfeld.

Both were Z68's running Windows 7 x64 on a 2500k with a SuperClocked EVGA GTX 560 TI DS with 8GB (2x4) or 1600Mhz RAM. Same exact hardware except for the new mobo. 1TB Samsung 5400 RPM HDD.

Safe mode didn't work. Sucks. Reformatting as we speak.

The BIOS had some pretty awesome features and the splash was pretty sleek. Beat the crap out of the Gigabyte.

Only complaint is that the inside looks like a freaking circus with all the lights. Bad idea if you've got a mesh panel case like mine and aren't really into LEDs. Keep that in mind when considering EVGA.

During the Windows install, windows will examine your hardware and install drivers specific to your hardware, in this case, your motherboard. When you get a different motherboard, it requires you to do at least a repair installation to pick up the correct drivers. That's why just moving the HDD to the new motherboard didn't work.

A clean install is the preferred method for this situation.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
You're supposed to look at the pics and read the description before you order. Video cards are often difficult because unless you research further, online descriptions often don't give a realistic PSU wattage or how many power connectors it needs.

huh? confused...

flossbandit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Guess I was just impressed by the number of USB ports and didn't think about/assumed a Z68 motherboard would have onboard video ports, since that's one of the main features that makes it not a P67.