Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HDMI Connection Issue PC->Vizio TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2011 8:47:48 PM

In August, I tried to connect my computer (specs in my sig) to my 26" Visio LCD TV. That experience resulted in a melted HDMI cable, 1 melted graphics card, and 1 terminally damaged TV. Today, against my better judgement, I made an attempt to connect my 32" Vizio LCD TV to my computer again. I proceded by shutting down my computer and turning off the TV. Upon attempting to make the connection, there was a spark...which resulted in a melted HDMI port on the TV and another melted HDMI cable. Fortunately, no damage was done to my graphics card this time. Not sure I could deal with another 4 weeks without a graphics card.... So, is there any explanation as to why there would be a spark while trying to connect a computer to an LCD TV via HDMI, while both are turned off??? I've connected DVD and Blu-Ray players via HDMI in the past with both TV and player turned on with no issues....as well as my HD4850, GT240 and GTX275. Is there some inherent problem with HDMI 1.4a on the GTX460 that's causing this to occur?
January 9, 2011 11:50:44 PM

Do you have a line voltage and ground wires reversed or shorted somewhere with no Ground? A floating device can have AC on the case and may you never know it!
::: CHECK YOUR AC WIRING IMMEDIATELY BY A PROFESSIONAL ::: YOU COULD POSSIBLY HAVE A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION AT HAND :::
Do you have +5/+12 volts shorted to case?
::: MANY SITUATIONS POSSIBLE WITH SOME THAT COULD BE LIFE THREATENING :::
I don't care about the "it - worked - before". This could be very serious ....
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 11:56:22 PM

As far as the house wiring, it was inspected last year and passed....which state electrical code requires inspection of all outlets/wiring at outlets, inspection of electrical panel/wiring at electrical panel, and wiring at power meter box/wiring at power meter box., as well as all under-house wiring and any remote electrical panels for houses that contain them. Outlets are also checked with a receptical tester. By city procedure...recepticals are tested with a Desco 98130 AC Outlet analyzer....recepticals were tested prior to inspection using an ETCON CT101.

After the last attempt in Aug, PSU, Mobo, CPU, GPU, Ram were all replaced....as well as the TV and HDMI cable. As far as shorting wires to the case....no wires make direct contact with the case itself.
Score
Related resources
January 14, 2011 1:04:37 PM

So, is there any explanation as to why there would be a spark while trying to connect a computer to an LCD TV via HDMI, while both are turned off? You have a difference in potential between the two points. An "off" device doesn't mean it's not "on" at the power supply.
Is there some inherent problem with HDMI 1.4a on the GTX460 that's causing this to occur? No. I hook up my PC to a Samsung 46".

Score

Best solution

October 13, 2011 8:00:31 PM

ctbaars said:
So, is there any explanation as to why there would be a spark while trying to connect a computer to an LCD TV via HDMI, while both are turned off? You have a difference in potential between the two points. An "off" device doesn't mean it's not "on" at the power supply.
Is there some inherent problem with HDMI 1.4a on the GTX460 that's causing this to occur? No. I hook up my PC to a Samsung 46".

Yes there is a possible explanation for this problem. Check out my post on this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

kwd
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2011 4:28:14 AM

Best answer selected by sykozis.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 21, 2011 10:21:41 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!