Will this video card work with my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldcore12191

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
]hello I have a gateway DX4300-05. Not a high end computer but its not terrible. Pretty much most of the games i played i get good FPS and did not have to many problems however some of the newer games with great graphics is really putting a strain on my computer so i was wondering if this card would work with my computer
http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-PCI-Express-Video-HD557XZHF2/dp/tech-data/B003C23HTY

Also would I see a big improvment with this card? as in beable to play some higher end games im not saying play them on highest quality but at leats be playable even on lowest settings. Typically the game im talking about is a new one coming out called RIFT.

Im not sure what other info you guys need on my computer so tell me if you need to know anything else.

motherboard
Manufacturer: Gateway
Model:RS780
ChipSet:AMD 780G
Memory: DDR2

Thanks and like i said if you need any other info tell me and i will try to get it to you (Im not an expert on computers but I do know a few things)

Solution
to find the wattage of your psu just open up your case and look ate the psu's side it should say what it is. yes the card's minimum wattage psu is 400w. here is a 450w psu that should work fine it is 30$ on new egg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817822002
it has 24A on the 12v rail which is not bad it also has a single 12v rail which is also a good thing.
Really if you are not trying to over clock or anything any psu with a good rating should work for you

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
That card is leagues better than the 780G. Just for comparison, the 5570 has ten times as many stream processors. You should be able to play any game out on at least mid settings, most older games on high. You should be able to find a better price, though. Personally, I love newegg.com, and I just checked and they have 5670s, which are better, for cheaper.

sharpbrick

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

I agree with what Jryan388 said one thing to keep in mind however is if your PSU can handle the new card (HP's have had some very under powered power supplies in the past). What is the wattage of the psu you have in you pc right now?

Coldcore12191

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

yea i was a bit worried about that. Where can i find what my power supply is?

Coldcore12191

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I did a little reasearch and im almost certain the power supply is 300 watts. Im pretty sure that card is 400 watts tho. lol things can never just be simple can they? Any suggestion guys? maby another card in that same price range that would work or something else i can try?

Coldcore12191

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Ok so i was looking and power supplys seem relativly cheap like 20-30$. as im sure you know by now im not really that knowledgeable when it comes to things being compatible with each other so final question is what reasonly priced power supply should I buy that would work with my computer and the GPU i linked at top of thread?

sharpbrick

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
to find the wattage of your psu just open up your case and look ate the psu's side it should say what it is. yes the card's minimum wattage psu is 400w. here is a 450w psu that should work fine it is 30$ on new egg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817822002
it has 24A on the 12v rail which is not bad it also has a single 12v rail which is also a good thing.
Really if you are not trying to over clock or anything any psu with a good rating should work for you

Solution

sharpbrick

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

to me that sounds like the best way to go... but then you know that already because i have been the one talking ;)

Coldcore12191

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
accutally i fixed my own problem....first off let me state i hate best buy. now that that is out of the way i will explain. I was told this computer will only take low profile cards and when i asked if i can use the graphics card i already had a e-geforce 8800 gs i was told nope to big. Well i just did some testing now and it turns out all this time it would of fit just fine. all i would of had to do was run out and buy a new power supply. so yea thank you bestbuy lol anyway thanks for your help was still useful i learn alot about my computer and i know what power supply to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.