Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will this video card work with my computer?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2011 8:47:53 PM

]hello I have a gateway DX4300-05. Not a high end computer but its not terrible. Pretty much most of the games i played i get good FPS and did not have to many problems however some of the newer games with great graphics is really putting a strain on my computer so i was wondering if this card would work with my computer
http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-PCI-Express-Video-HD55...

Also would I see a big improvment with this card? as in beable to play some higher end games im not saying play them on highest quality but at leats be playable even on lowest settings. Typically the game im talking about is a new one coming out called RIFT.

Im not sure what other info you guys need on my computer so tell me if you need to know anything else.

motherboard
Manufacturer: Gateway
Model:RS780
ChipSet:AMD 780G
Memory: DDR2

Thanks and like i said if you need any other info tell me and i will try to get it to you (Im not an expert on computers but I do know a few things)
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2011 10:22:57 PM

That card is leagues better than the 780G. Just for comparison, the 5570 has ten times as many stream processors. You should be able to play any game out on at least mid settings, most older games on high. You should be able to find a better price, though. Personally, I love newegg.com, and I just checked and they have 5670s, which are better, for cheaper.
January 9, 2011 10:28:39 PM

jryan388 said:
That card is leagues better than the 780G. Just for comparison, the 5570 has ten times as many stream processors. You should be able to play any game out on at least mid settings, most older games on high. You should be able to find a better price, though. Personally, I love newegg.com, and I just checked and they have 5670s, which are better, for cheaper.

I agree with what Jryan388 said one thing to keep in mind however is if your PSU can handle the new card (HP's have had some very under powered power supplies in the past). What is the wattage of the psu you have in you pc right now?
Related resources
January 9, 2011 10:54:25 PM

sharpbrick said:
I agree with what Jryan388 said one thing to keep in mind however is if your PSU can handle the new card (HP's have had some very under powered power supplies in the past). What is the wattage of the psu you have in you pc right now?

yea i was a bit worried about that. Where can i find what my power supply is?
January 9, 2011 11:18:02 PM

I did a little reasearch and im almost certain the power supply is 300 watts. Im pretty sure that card is 400 watts tho. lol things can never just be simple can they? Any suggestion guys? maby another card in that same price range that would work or something else i can try?
January 9, 2011 11:49:12 PM

Ok so i was looking and power supplys seem relativly cheap like 20-30$. as im sure you know by now im not really that knowledgeable when it comes to things being compatible with each other so final question is what reasonly priced power supply should I buy that would work with my computer and the GPU i linked at top of thread?

Best solution

January 10, 2011 12:51:40 AM

to find the wattage of your psu just open up your case and look ate the psu's side it should say what it is. yes the card's minimum wattage psu is 400w. here is a 450w psu that should work fine it is 30$ on new egg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
it has 24A on the 12v rail which is not bad it also has a single 12v rail which is also a good thing.
Really if you are not trying to over clock or anything any psu with a good rating should work for you
January 10, 2011 1:23:21 AM

ok thanks. So everything looks good to go ahead and buy the PSU and card?
January 10, 2011 1:32:23 AM

Coldcore12191 said:
ok thanks. So everything looks good to go ahead and buy the PSU and card?

to me that sounds like the best way to go... but then you know that already because i have been the one talking ;) 
January 10, 2011 1:42:46 AM

lol true thanks for all your help man you really made this alot easier for me hopefuly it all goes well =)
January 10, 2011 1:43:47 AM

Best answer selected by Coldcore12191.
January 10, 2011 1:54:15 AM

good luck! :hello: 
January 10, 2011 3:29:41 AM

Hey man im back....i was looking over the specifications for the graphics card and i realized it was not low profile. Idk why i left that out i know thats important i think i just forgot to mention it. I was looking tho and would
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
make a good replacement? also will that power supply beable to fit in my computer?
January 10, 2011 4:58:41 AM

this card suck...get a gt240 1gb dd5.....it would work on any 300w power supply
January 10, 2011 5:21:38 AM

accutally i fixed my own problem....first off let me state i hate best buy. now that that is out of the way i will explain. I was told this computer will only take low profile cards and when i asked if i can use the graphics card i already had a e-geforce 8800 gs i was told nope to big. Well i just did some testing now and it turns out all this time it would of fit just fine. all i would of had to do was run out and buy a new power supply. so yea thank you bestbuy lol anyway thanks for your help was still useful i learn alot about my computer and i know what power supply to buy
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 3:37:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!