Sign in with
Your question

GeForce 9800 GX2 not detecting second DVI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2011 10:02:26 PM

I am running Win7 Pro 64bit. I have two different monitors hooked up to the 9800 however the second monitor is never detected. Both monitors work and both cables work ( tested by swapping them out and using the working DVI port on the graphics card ). I have the latest Nvidia drivers, and when using the nvidia control panel to configure multiple monitor support it is not detecting the second monitor at all. I am afraid the second dvi port is completely dead :(  any thoughts on how to test or has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance!
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 7:19:33 PM

Do you have any other ports, or is it just the two?
January 10, 2011 7:36:29 PM

Pallimud said:
Do you have any other ports, or is it just the two?

the card only has 2 DVI ports and an HDMI port. The working DVI port is parallell with the HDMI port, I can do dual monitor using one DVI and one HDMI, but dual DVI does not work.

Thanks for the response as I hadn't considered dragging an HDMI cable out of the entertainment center to test this until you asked an obvious question :)  So for now this works but still concerned that there may be a larger issue with the card if one of the DVI ports is fried.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2011 12:52:19 PM

Glad I could help a little :) . If the card is new, I'd send it back and get a replacement. It could be the port itself, or it could be the connections from the port to the card board, either way it would be best to get it replaced. I'm sure warranty/RMA would apply to this.

I doubt it would affect any part of performance for the card though, so if you do nothing and just run on HDMI/DVI then you'll get what you want from the card. You can get a HDMI to DVI adapter on ebay for really cheap, just make sure it is the right size HDMI and the right side (male or female). HDMI is annoying because there are many sizes (3 or 4) and can get confusing sometimes.
February 2, 2011 9:32:59 PM

jma8chz said:
I am running Win7 Pro 64bit. I have two different monitors hooked up to the 9800 however the second monitor is never detected. Both monitors work and both cables work ( tested by swapping them out and using the working DVI port on the graphics card ). I have the latest Nvidia drivers, and when using the nvidia control panel to configure multiple monitor support it is not detecting the second monitor at all. I am afraid the second dvi port is completely dead :(  any thoughts on how to test or has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance!

Try the working monitor on the other port.

If it fires up then I'd be looking at the other monitor.

I've had my gx2 for bout 3 years now I think mine died on me yesterday after the ole bout of driver crashing etc then went totally dead.

I stripped it down to the PCB's and baked it in the oven at 200 for 10 mins, cleaned the sinks etc new paste put it all back together and poof good as new again from completely dead.

It seems all Nvidia card from 8000 series up have problems with heat causing faulty connections on the PCB's after time.

Mine was well outta warranty so Baking it was a last resort, and yes I thought it was kinda nuts too but it does actually work.

Test the other port with another monitor try a fresh install of windows with a driver, still no joy try it in another machine if possible.

If that still doesn't work and it's outta warranty maybe a little trip to the kitchen might help. :) 
February 11, 2012 5:19:29 PM

Try using just the second dvi that doesn't work only and see what happens?
!