Intel i7 2600K build

Damienyoung

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Ok, well I have gave this some thought and done some research (sorry in advance for being a pain). And I need to know my config within 24hours.

I know nothing about overclocking and only the basics of hardware.
Please keep in mind that I want this build to have the ability to be heavily upgraded in the future (maybe some OC).
Can you give me a definite best build in terms of performance and upgradability? [new word]

An:
Intel 2600K Sandy Bridge (do I need a non stock cooler?)
The highest performance and upgradeable MOBO?
Highest performance RAM? (with larger increments, eg 6gig per card) 8-12gig needed.
Highest speed Hard drive for booting and running programs? (not sure if 6gbs sata or ssd)
Best reasonably price VGA card which will be able to support 2 (or more in conjunction with a 2nd for crossfire/SLI [which yields the best performance?]) 1gig card needed.
Do I need an independent Sound card for Voice recognition?
Does the MOBO have built in wireless? And if not what network card would you recommend?
For case and PSU: either the NZXT Guardian 921RB, NZXT Phantom or Coolermaster HAF 932 with a compatible PSU (that is able to power everything plus the possible future addition of a 2nd VGA and/or other hardware)
DVD + CD playerand burner. If cheap enough ability to play bluray.

All these choices must be compatible and it would be great if they fully support future upgrades. But all the hardware MUST be from this site http://www.cpl.net.au/pdf/page1.pdf

Wanting to spend from $1500-1900. Please include a full list of this hardwares build!
Thanks in advanced for you help.

And which specified case would be best for keeping the pc cool, eg, the Phantom has fan controllers, others have temp displays

Intel 2600K Sandy Bridge (do I need a non stock cooler?)
Only for overclocking and the stock one is OK even for that

The highest performance and upgradeable MOBO?
Get a P67 one if you want to ever be able to overclock or run Crossfire/Sli

Highest performance RAM? (with larger increments, eg 6gig per card) 8-12gig needed.
You need to buy it in identical pairs so from what you say you want 2 x 4Gb DDR3 the speed makes little difference in real life apps but the higher the large no and the lower the CL no the better

Highest speed Hard drive for booting and running programs? (not sure if 6gbs sata or ssd)
SSD is much quicker you can get a small one for the OS and a few games you play alot and a mechanical drive for storage

Best reasonably price VGA card which will be able to support 2 (or more in conjunction with a 2nd for crossfire/SLI [which yields the best performance?]) 1gig card needed.
Depends what you mean by reasonable AMDs 6850 and Nvidias GTX460 are good performance to price and work well in pairs as well

Do I need an independent Sound card for Voice recognition?
I don't think so

Does the MOBO have built in wireless? And if not what network card would you recommend?
They don't normally just get a USB one

For case and PSU: either the NZXT Guardian 921RB, NZXT Phantom or Coolermaster HAF 932 with a compatible PSU (that is able to power everything plus the possible future addition of a 2nd VGA and/or other hardware)
I always get generic ones so not sure

DVD + CD playerand burner. If cheap enough ability to play bluray.
All much the same just get the cheapest that does what you need

Also note if this is a purely gaming PC the 2500K is as good as the 2600K but cheaper

Sorry I was too lazy to bother looking at the PDF hope this helps

Damienyoung

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply.

Does this sound good?
Intel i7 2600K
Asus P8P67 Evo V3
12g G.skill Ripjaws (does the 1600 run on this mobo?)
Sapphire 1gb HD 6870
WD 1Tb Blue 7200 Sata3
Samsung Blu-ray combo x12
Intel Pro 1000Ct PCIe Network card
NZXT Phantom Case
Antec TP Quattro 850W PSU

D

Deleted member 217926

The Sandy Bridge i7s use dual channel memory. As you have 12GB picked out I imagine that is 4GB x 3 sticks if so change that to 8GB ( 2 x 4GB ) or 16GB (4 x 4GB).

Change that WD Blue HDD to a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. The Samsung will generally be as cheap as a Blue and much faster.

You do not "need" a network card unless it is for something specific.

Power supply is great but overkill. If you only plan on running 1 x 6870 then a good 550w unit is PLENTY.

The best case you had picked out is the Haf 932 by far.

Damienyoung

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I have already ordered it.
I changed the Dvd drive, PSU and Network card.
Would my new 750W PSU be able to support a 2nd VGA car and an extra 4 gig?
And I chose the phantom case due to its supreme cooling abilities

D

Deleted member 217926

750 watts should handle 2 x 6870s as long as it is a quality unit.

The Haf is one of the best cooling cases made.