Sign in with
Your question

Video Artifacts / Crashes - Multiple Video Cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2011 11:37:02 PM

As long as I've had this computer, I've experienced video artifacts and crashes when playing games. I initially put the blame on the games (Oblivion and Fallout 3), as I have experienced problems with these games on other computers in the past. When I started playing other games (World of Warcraft, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Thief: Deadly Shadows, etc.), however, I started having the same issues, and decided to contact Sapphire about the video card I was using at the time (Radeon 4890.) I ended up RMAing that card, but had the same problem with the new one I received.

I have since tried a brand new card (Radeon 5850), and an older card (Radeon 3870), and experience the same issue with both of those cards. Additionally, I have run all three cards in a different computer with no issues. I have completely removed old drivers each time I have swapped video cards, and have also tried with and without the onboard video enabled. I have tried cards in both PCI-E slots on the motherboard, but have the same issue in both. I have done no overclocking of any kind. I have monitored CPU and Video Card temperatures while playing games and neither exceeds 65°C. I get artifacts even when running the games on their lowest settings.

I have tried swapping the power supply in the problem computer with the power supply that I knew ran the cards successfully in the second computer, but still had the same issue with the problem computer.

I have updated the motherboard BIOS three times since building the computer. The only time that games have ever run without issue for me is when I use only the onboard video, but this is obviously limiting.

I have uploaded videos below of the type of artifacts I'm seeing. They are often much worse, but I can't force the issue to happen, and this was the best I could capture in a brief run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UN8hoVHUhI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6s6qWKg6X4

I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can provide. Thank you for taking the time to read through this.

Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Memory: 2 X 2GB G.Skill DDR3 SDRAM 1333 (F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK)
a c 1410 U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 12:35:51 AM

You have pretty much ruled out everything but the motherboard!
All the cards work in different computers and working power supply from a different computer that ran the cards fine does not solve the problem in yours.
Replace the motherboard!
m
l
January 10, 2011 12:41:08 AM

That's what I was afraid of, sadly. I actually sent a support request to ASUS at the same time I posted this. I just thought I'd see if someone more knowledgeable than I had some other suggestions while I waited lord knows how long for their reply. Thanks for your reply!
m
l
!