Sign in with
Your question

Computer to TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2011 12:31:27 AM

Have a 32 inch tv (720p) in a Dr.'s waiting room which would like to connect to a computer as the second monitor for the purpose of displaying things like PowerPoint presentations, infommercial videos, some online content as well as playing DVDs. Image quality just needs to be decent (as opposed to super quality). Would the typical PCI card (i.e.; Diamond S60PCI64 Stealth S60 Radeon 7000) be adequate to the task?

More about : computer

January 10, 2011 1:06:58 AM

lbrookx said:
Have a 32 inch tv (720p) in a Dr.'s waiting room which would like to connect to a computer as the second monitor for the purpose of displaying things like PowerPoint presentations, infommercial videos, some online content as well as playing DVDs. Image quality just needs to be decent (as opposed to super quality). Would the typical PCI card (i.e.; Diamond S60PCI64 Stealth S60 Radeon 7000) be adequate to the task?

We need to know the type of inputs the TV has - Also, is it a tube TV? In general as long as it's an HDTV with a component input, you could use an adapter like this, which would work with ANY computer video card since they all have VGA, even integrated video for that matter. If the TV has DVI that would be another option, though I'd be kind of surprised to see that on a TV in that size.
January 10, 2011 1:29:54 AM

the TV has a VGA, a couple of HDMI and a DVI input and it is a LCD. since we're not looking to send HD signal to it, using the VGA seems to be the best option due to the much lower cost of the cable (the computer and tv are about 60 ft from each other). just wanted to make sure the typical pci card will work in this situation as far as screen dimension (I'm thinking we're fine with regard to color and resolution).
January 10, 2011 1:37:31 AM

lbrookx said:
the TV has a VGA, a couple of HDMI and a DVI input and it is a LCD. since we're not looking to send HD signal to it, using the VGA seems to be the best option due to the much lower cost of the cable (the computer and tv are about 60 ft from each other). just wanted to make sure the typical pci card will work in this situation as far as screen dimension (I'm thinking we're fine with regard to color and resolution).

It looks like VGA is your best option, from what I can find. Something like this?
!