Laptop hard drive recovery. PC freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

omniscian

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Hi all.

I am trying to recover some data of my friends laptop that has exploded. I have gotten the hard drive out and tried to connect it directly to my PC (via Sata) as a secondary drive. At first my PC didn't boot at all. I messed around in the bios and saw that the laptop hard drive was recognized as Master, as well as my PC hard drive being Master too. I changed the boot order to use my hard drive and the PC booted up to the Starting Windows screen before hanging.

Is the laptop hard drive buggered or do I need to change the settings some how in order to add to laptop hard drive as a secondary drive rather than Master?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
90% of laptop faults come from hard drive problems. If you cannot boot the hard drive from your pc then I think the hard drive is nearly dead. I have quite a good experience when it comes to laptop hard drives. Have you tried setting the laptop's hard drive as primary hard drive when connecting it on your pc?

fongmh

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I'm assuming your PC's HDD is SATA as well. Don't think there should be any issues there as I am running the config as above. Perhaps getting a HDD enclosure for the laptop's HD might work?

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Don't think so. If he connected the hd correctly with his pc, then I doubt that an enclosure will fix the problem. Worth trying though

omniscian

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Thanks for your replies.

Yes my primary HDD is Sata too. I tried plugging it in with my HDD and without it. With my HDD, it got to "Starting Windows" before freezing and without it, it didn't get past the bios screen. In the Bios, it is seeing the laptop HDD as master so don't know if this is a problem or how I would change it?

Also, the laptop died because a hot drink was spilt on it. With the HDD still spinning up, I'm pretty sure that this wouldn't break the disk, although I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.