  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 5, 2005 9:06:07 AM

After doing some sims recently I discovered that fighters do not get
destroyed by exploding barb, hype, or nova minefilds. Now I understand
that they can travel through these minefields without taking danger,
however, an exploding minefield? Whats with that? Could someone please
give me a reasonable explanation on this. I'm sort of believing that
all fighter pilots are Jedi knights and have learnt to ignore such
*small* things like an exploding nova minefield.

I realise that this is probably well known. I thought that they took at
least some damage!

Robert.

More about : jedi fighter pilots

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 9:15:15 AM

Also recently people have been commenting that fighters are too
powerful. What do people think? I think in combat they are good,
however, its all the little extra things that make them too powerful.
The fact that they do not use crew, troops, or even minerals when they
are built. the fact that they can be refuelled and rearmed by a pod or
scout ship (I always find it funny picturing a pod surrounded by 30000
fighters). The fact that they can move through all minefields, except
lasers of course, unharmed. The fact that they survive with no damage
after several nova minefields have exploded around them (oh so pretty,
nice of them to turn on the fireworks for us).

As I said, I think in combat they are about right, unless of course I
am on the receiving end. It's just all the other things. Am I alone in
this?

Robert.
July 5, 2005 9:23:46 AM

I agree. Would be fair to see them cost something.

I remember a thread on this mesage board quite a while ago discussed
this. What if anythign is going to be done I don't know. Anyone got any
news on this?
July 5, 2005 9:33:38 AM

Oh yeah and the mine field thing is a bit silly. On the other hand they
are annihilated by laser mine detonations.

as a rationale I offer:

Space is big. For mines to be effective they must either be able to
close in on targets or have a massive area of effect.

Regular mines (ie: not laser mines) have some sort of motive ability
and sensors that allow them to close in on large targets (ie: ships)
but not on the fast, low signature fighters. So when a field is blown
the regular mines do damage to targets close by (ie ships).

Laser mines on the other hand destroy their targets by sending out
gamma rays (or whatever) in a HUGE area that does not bother highly
shielded captial ships but fries the lightly shielded fighters.

How's that sound?
July 5, 2005 10:03:46 AM

They are immune to hitting/running into nova minefields ,immune to
exploding nova, barb, and grav mines. They can run into barbs,grav and
laser minefields, with the highest chance to run into/hit a laser mine
and lowest chance the barb. exploding is when a minefied is set to
detonate. The modification to the nova was to help the bots who have to
send out huge size wings for the bot type1 fighters to do any damage.

soxee wrote:
> After doing some sims recently I discovered that fighters do not get
> destroyed by exploding barb, hype, or nova minefilds. Now I understand
> that they can travel through these minefields without taking danger,
> however, an exploding minefield? Whats with that? Could someone please
> give me a reasonable explanation on this. I'm sort of believing that
> all fighter pilots are Jedi knights and have learnt to ignore such
> *small* things like an exploding nova minefield.
>
> I realise that this is probably well known. I thought that they took at
> least some damage!
>
> Robert.
July 5, 2005 10:55:41 AM

well there goes my nice rationale.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:47:48 PM

as stated in the thread in Drewheads.

there has been a lot of philosophical discussion regarding wings and
exploding barbitics.
not that there was anything made out of it but at least rest assured
that topic has been discussed and beaten down with a stick countless
times now :D
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:02:00 PM

Yeah, I know. But it is always good to keep things in working memory
:-))
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:37:17 PM

Wings ARE slightly damaged by running through barb minefields.

Have you noticed though that HG make no difference to the performance of
a Wing?

And to answer the other part of this thread - Wings probably only seem
"too good" in combat because ship are now weaker.
--
Paul Honigmann
Anonymous

soxee wrote:

> the fact that they can be refuelled and rearmed by a pod or
> scout ship (I always find it funny picturing a pod surrounded by 30000
> fighters).

I always imagined the pods as fairly large aluminum cans, considering
their storage capacities.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:56:40 PM

Holding 400,000 people in deep freeze even packed liked sardines is a
rather large can. Not one I would want to be shoved into, no wonder the
chups always teleport out of them.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:02:46 AM

True! Now I no longer find it funny :-( How dare you make me sad!
!