Ace Adey

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
My thread disappeared. WTF

I need advice on my Radeon HD 6990 to connect up properly to Silverstone Strider 1000 PSU.

Ace Adey

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Thanks,

My question is it possible to make this config, rather than use a 6+2, which isn't custom built for the Graphics? At the end of the day is 6+2 to 8 does the job then I may settle for this. One more thing, I booted with the 6990 plugged in...Windows downloaded Catalyst 11.5 one can only assume and the error messaged "incompatible display drive/device." Sorry, I can not remember which, it was more than likely driver.

I am then confused, is my cable doing the job and Windows has downloaded the wrong CCC...I really can not answer. Anyway, after a reboot and the display not being installed properly 'black screen'. Am now using 6600 GT to further research. I might buy some cables too...?

Cheers,

Ace

brianbuys

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
6990's need two 8-pin PCI-Express power connectors from PSU. it can be two 8-pin power cables or it can two of the 6+2pin power cables (which is found on many modern PSUs). Your silverstone PSU already has the needed connectors.

The 6+2 is essentially a 6 pin pci-e cable with the option of the other 2 pins should your graphics card need it.

It can be used as a 6 pin or an 8 pin you don't need any additional cables.

Remove all your ATI related drivers, go to the ATI drivers download pages and find the drivers for your card and OS and install them.

This way you will get the right and most current drivers.

Make sure you uninstall all the others before trying to re-install.

Ace Adey

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

Thanks.

I have not found a shop with this 8 pin direct tp 8 pin cable. As there are two GPU's on the market powered like this I can maybe expect demand is not so high...If someone knows an online store with the 8 pin direct from PSU then I will purchase two of them.

I have made my own out of old cables, using some 8 pin plugs that I had, but I feel (because I made them myself) that to copy a purchased one will be 'safer.'

Cheers

Ace

popatim

Titan
you have two 6+2 cables sitting there on your Strider 1000w PSU. Look at one of them closely. You will see how they connect together to form the 8pin and then all you do is Plug them in....