Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer keeps shutting down

Last response: in Motherboards
February 15, 2012 8:22:55 PM

As usual, I'm having a problem and hoping the good people of TH can help me.

I believe I'm having a motherboard problem. If I'm wrong, please move this post to the proper forum.

I have an HP m7260n desktop computer. It is about 6 or 7 years old but always worked fine. My father uses it for 3 reasons; chat on aim, check e-mail and scan slides.

The PC just refuses to stay on. It now shuts down for no reason even when he's not doing anything.

Naturally, I would think it's an overheating problem.

The fan works great. I cleaned out the little dust inside and changed the power supply. Same problem. Thought of changing the heatsink but it is as cool as it could be; since it's not hot at all, I don't think that's the problem.

I changed the CMOS battery. No luck.

I accessed the bios. Nothing unusual.

I used one of those PCI Diagnostics tools. Got the code FF which says the problem has to do with system booting.

Not sure if this is true though because occasionally, Windows does load up. Safe mode loads up also. It just won't stay on.

It's highly unlikely to be a virus.

It makes sense to me that it's a motherboard problem since everything else seems to be working fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

More about : computer shutting

a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2012 9:06:06 PM

try another power cable if that doesnt work try another Power Supply see if that helps
February 17, 2012 2:41:56 PM

I did mention that I had already tried a new power supply.

However, I didn't do the power cable. I tried a new power cable and it still doesn't work.

Any other suggestions please?

Thanks again!
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2012 8:49:15 PM

try a different hard disk
February 17, 2012 9:42:33 PM

I doubt it is the hard disk. Windows does load at times, it just refuses to stay on.

If it was the hard disk that was failing, then the pc would keep restarting and trying to load up the hard disk.

Instead, it just shuts off.

Am I wrong?
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2012 12:34:35 AM

if the hard disk is failing it will boot and the windows will load but midway the hard disk will just power down and then power up again causing the computer to restart
February 29, 2012 2:27:07 AM

Nope, it is not the hard disk. I switched it and it gives me the same problem
February 29, 2012 3:31:48 PM

check capacitors by the cpu socket ..are they swollen like balloned ..that could be ur problem

Best solution

a c 715 V Motherboard
February 29, 2012 3:49:05 PM

Most often than not it's a sign of a dead or dying MOBO; 'shutdowns' with no BSOD.
March 7, 2012 12:59:24 AM

Best answer selected by skeptikaltruth.
March 7, 2012 1:00:19 AM

Thank you for your help, everyone! Looks like the MOBO is the problem. I have ordered a new MOBO and will be replacing it soon.
a c 328 V Motherboard
March 7, 2012 1:49:37 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!