Which one is the Best Workstation in between AMD % Intel ?

comseek

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hi

Sir I am doing Graphical works like Maya, 3dx Max, Z Brush like that.

I want to built a new Workstation with 2 * Amd Opeteron 6168 (1.9GGhz 12 core processor)( so total 24 cores) + 16 gb Ram ddr3 (1333)

If we have more cores our Rendering work will be done quickly according to my experience. And some Applications run sommothly am i right or not (really i am confusing in this regard)

Intel is more expensive and that to in workstation series intel processors having only 6 cores. ( And expensive also compared with amd 12 core processor)

So please guide me which system is best to my Works(For Smooth real time working) and Rendering purpose also.

Please give your valuaable suggestions and openions also. thanks for your time and attention

Atchuth

popatim

Titan
Just an FYi but in AMD workstations each CPU will have its own memory. So 16gb would be two 4gb sticks for cpu1 and two 4gb sticks for cpu2. (giving each cpu 8gb) This might not be what you intended so I thought I'd point that out. Siince rendering usually involves lots of ram, you may want to give each cpu 16gb or more.

hilltopmonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
err/ it really depends on what you want to use the redering to achieve.
If it is games design a load of gpu cores with lots of gpu ram would be more productive (and cheaper)
Engineering, architecture or anything along those lines would be better with the setup you have in mind.- and opterons are the best you can go with

dakisan

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Rendering requires CPU, not RAM. RAM is required for complex model manipulation.

comseek

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010

hi Dakisan,

Thanks to your answer. I have another doubt regarding Processer. Amd opteron 6168 processor haveing 1.9 Ghz 12 cores.i want to built 2* 6168 so tatal 24 cores will come. But some body told me so many applications use only some (may be 4 or 6 or 8 )so no use with 24 cores better to go with Intel high Ghz (like 2.5 or 3 Ghz ...) like that .
1.My doubt is Which specification is decided the system real time work? (Ghz or Processor cores)? I am very confusion in this regard?

2.What is the main use of Graphic card ?I am using in my system (Phenom 1075 6 core processor with 16 gb ram) ATI fire pro 5800 Graphic card but i am not got any significant performance in real time works(Maya, Zbrush, View)?
Please give me accurate answer and valuable your suggestion.

thankyou

cad_kiran_19

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
hii,Comseek,

U can go ahead with your configuration.....Minimum a Quadro card is good enough for complex 3d modeling works( Not for rendering) Ram and processor speed is very much advisable...all i am saying is I have bought a amd optrone 6128x 2 .with nvdia 600 card....8 gb of ram..( I have to upgrade 16 gb minimum) if get a processor with 8 core with 2GHz that will be 8x2= 16.....surly speed up the rendering time...see the link
http://www.titanuscomputers.com/A300-AMD-Workstation-16-and-24-Core-Dual-Opter-p/a300.htm

...they built the same way...carefull about the power supply...and appropriate parts..

Best wishes....for a Beast System!!!

popatim

Titan
Dakisan while that is mostly true it really depends on the render. If you need to render a crazy scene with millions of polygons and dozens of textures, then you will need a lot ram to be able to keep that in memory for fast access and prevent hashing.

otherwise the general rule I go by is: If you need faster renders, get more CPU power. If you need a faster viewport get a faster video card.