France, Britain, and US Light Up Libya

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like that France, Britain, and the US militaries have opened up on Libya in light of the UN resolution authorizing the use of force to protect civilians. French fighter jets began the strike against Gaddafi's forces, while the US began launching tomahawk missiles (50-100) against many anti-aircraft installations. I'm not sure of the British role, but I'm sure they are providing some sort of air or missile support to the operation at this point.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/03/19/libya.civil.war/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Yes, they hadn't stated that the Brits were firing Tomahawks off as well. Obama said that there would be no US ground troops involved, at least right now, which leads me to believe that the coalition will rely on firepower for the time being to weaken Gaddafi's forces and then let the rebels have at him. That's just a guess though.

Looks like Gaddafi has begged the Russians to try and stop the allied assault on his forces. From CNN:

Russia urged coalition nations to stop the use of force against Libya, challenging the use of the U.N. no-fly zone resolution as a " controversial step." In a statement published on its website, Russia's Foreign Ministry said air strikes carried out by coalition forces killed 48 civilians and injured 150.

I don't think it will work. Keep in mind that it has long been the plan of Gaddafi to play the "civilians have been killed" card if action were taken against his forces. I'm not doubting that a few civilians may have been caught up in it, but nowhere near that number and nowhere near the number that Gaddafi's forces have slaughtered.

Watch the interview with Gaadafi's son Said and Ray Martin on 60 Minutes.

The guy is a few sandwches short of a picnic so he must have bought his PhD from LSE ... there is NO WAY the guy has a brain capable of writing that dissertation ...

That University's reputation just got flushed down the toilet ... at least in my mind.

For interest ... he donated $2 Million ... thats what a PhD is worth now.

The guy's a complete idiot.

Add his name to the list for SF to double tap.

Air superiority and No Fly Zones alone have never won a war. US troops along with a UN peacekeeping effort MIGHT remove quadaffi. Quadaffi has to go now or Obama is a total fail. Obama will have to fight for his political life to remove Quadaffi at this point. Obama and Clinton certainly do not speak or act in the name of all Americans. Obama and Clinton have chose to start yet another war with their elitist ideals. Obama is a shameful cheap con man to say the least about the situation He He has created in Libya. He calls it protecting the innocent. If Obama does not remove Quadaffi He FAILS.

I agree badge- air superiority does not win a war, i.e. Vietnam. However, my take on this whole deal is that we are trying to give the rebels a chance to overthrow Gaddafi and to give the people a chance to choose for themselves. Unless the UN sends in peacekeepers, I think it will be left to the rebels to take care of the rest. If they don't though, it shows Gaddafi that he is being watched in regard to slaughtering and intimidating his people. Frankly, it's only a matter of time before someone- the allies or the rebels get their hands on Gaddafi. By "hands" I mean bullets or cruise missiles.

True. But that was an extraordinary amount of air power in a different circumstance (bad example I guess). I don't think we'd be willing to spend that much or risk killing civilians with that amount. Heck, the Tomahawk barrage (if you count Britain) ran somewhere near $63 million ($599K a pop) based on the 112 fired on the first day. Then again, the DOD has a budget of $663.8 billion, so $63 million is a drop in the hat.

I just worry about the women and children caught up in all of this rubbish.

When a government turns on its own people it loses the right to legitimacy.

It would have been much better if Russia and China had sent over a couple of ships ... even if it was just to show Gadafi that the world stands united.

Have the French surrendered yet ?? lol ...

And of course air superiority won WWII against Japan, after relatively small nuclear bombs were used against Hiroshima and Nagasaki. So yes air superiority can win wars, depending on the political will of those who wield it. Korea, Vietnam, Iraq - all would have caved in and surrendered if we had dropped nukes on them :p..

If we ever do get into it with Iran, I think several nuke bunker-busters would put a permanent end to their nuclear ambitions despite their burying the facilities deep inside mountains.

N. Vietnam actually surrendered. Then Jane Fornda rode in on a tank and caused their ressurection. The type of air power used against Quadafii, establishing a no fly zone and destroying a few tanks and positions, has never won a war. Ground tropps will be needed to remove Quadaffi. Of course Obama and Cinton made it very clear we would not use ground troops. had Quadaffi not known this he may have had other plans. Like moving his troops to defensive positions around his bunker instead of attacking further.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
MY GOD! I leave for a few weeks and Japan is in the middle of a nuclear breakdown and the middle east is in the throws of a western backed revolution. Glad to see everything is progressing nicely.

Alright for japan we just need some sort of reptile that feeds on radioactive wastes, remember it has to be tall enough to reach down into the reactor cores. Or some batteries for the love of god. I feel like this should have been a little more fool proof.

As for Libya we do have some nukes that could be used up before they go to waste (HEY! some people arent lucky enough to live in a country where there are plenty of nukes to go around), Ive also heard that Japan could use a place for dumping some radioactive equipment...... I would like to see libya like i see most one night stands......For a couple of brutal hours one night then second hand from most of my friends.

G

Where were the world when Robert Mugabe killed and slaughtered his people, where was the support for Zimbabwe! A country that was rich enough in resources to feed Africa, barren and desolate now, where was the international community through all this,...

Oh wait, they were fighting over countries with OIL!

That is all this is about!

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008

This may be true for western Europe, but the situation is different in eastern and, probably, northern Europe.

neo700

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
when gaddafi didn't step down and dicided to get rid of the rebels america, britian ,franc etc immediatly raise their voice to the atrocities of gaddafi and made UN security council pass a resolution which gives them a right to bombard libya, which they did and as acolletral damage many innocent libyans died.

but what about palestine, isreali forces have razed whole palestenian cities to the ground but NATO and america never raized an eyebrow they on the otherhand vehemently opposed any action against isreal and full full military support to isreal and made it a nuclear power which isreal threaten to use against iran and pakistan.

and also what about kashmir hundreds of thousands of innocent kashmiris have been killed by indian millitary which has occupied kashmir illegaly. BAck in 1948 when india occupied kashmir there was a fierce battle between pakistan and india over the issue and pakistan was on top and was kicking india's ass india begged UN to intervene and stop pakistan which UN did. pakistan honoured UN cxeasefire and withdrew but india didnot stop now 60 years later idian army continue to kill innocent kashmiris and rape kashmiri women.

and what about Bosnia

at all these issues UN was silient America NATO was silient they didnt gave a damn about what happened to these innocent folks. now what does all this show.

this shows that any crime commited against muslims is alright. infact killing their children old folks women and men is alright and its no big deal infact every nation should play a part in eradicating muslims of the face of the earth.

Actually whats happening nowadays is the final crusade which will decide the fate of humanity. it seems now that west is winning but this all is false illusion which in time will wash away and when the truth will reveal itself all the people who are now happy at what is happening in the muslim world will regret the day they were born.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
I read that Iran is going to launch 10,000 Missiles if attacked! On You tube is that current was with the Libya getting bombed video, sucks we don't have CNN here on our tv's!

What are all these wars over Beside Petroleum, it seems everyone has grudges!
It Seems Canada French has power they could be involved, France Looks Dead after clash of Nations trailers, and Resident Evil 2-3, not Romania! Anyways Real Firepower looks Capt. Picard/Cartoon Mad Scientist with the Specs!

neo700

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

First of all in Islam killing an innocent is like killing the entire humanity its written in our holy book, secondly religious fanatics are in every religion who due to their ignorance and wrong interpretation of religion think that they are doing their religion a service.

Do you know how the state of Israel came to existence? The land which nowadays is occupied by Israel belongs to Palestine. And they were forced to leave their homes and state of Israel was formed by force with the blessing of US and Nato.
Israel doesn’t settle at that and bomb remaining Palestine and does not allow any supplies to Palestine either by land or by sea now if you were in such a situation what would you do? If your wife and children and your mother father are killed in front of you and you are kicked out of your own home what would you do?
Why Palestinians were forced to evict their homes in the first place? Jews were living before somewhere, they had homes and jobs, why was it considered necessary to kill Palestinian Muslims and acquire their homeland by force and build an Israeli Nation on the graves of innocent Muslim men, women and children?
If US was so sympathetic toward jews why didn’t it gave a piece of land from itself to jews to build their country?

And you said that US sent war planes for Bosnian people, that’s all a bunch of crap. Was
Serbia bombed like libya and Afghanistan were bombed and why would it be ? only muslims are being killed.

And you said about screwing, well first of all CIA published its documents in which it admitted that it has overthrown many heads of state only because that didnt agree to what US is saying? Whoever says that we are living in a modern world is a fool! We are still living in the dark ages, where its OK to kill and plunder any one who doesnot agree with you. Similarly Israel sent Scientist and spies to sabotage Pakistan nuclear programme but they were caught.
And lastly about turning us into parking lot of shattered glass, presently US and Nato with all their latest technology and modern warfare is in Iraq and Afghanistan.
In Afghanistan only Kabul kandahar, jalalabad and a few cities are under the control of US and Nato forces and the rest of Afghanistan is under the control of Taliban and mujahedeen who only have old fashioned Kalashnikovs, grenades and rocket launchers.
You said in you post I am being funny well then I will tell you another funny thing Certain European countries including UK and Italy has paid to Taliban to not kill soldiers of these countries. They have all the latest weaponry and satellite technology and they are paying Taliban to not heart them? Now this is something that is funny.
You would never see any such thing on CNN and BBC because if such things came to light who will go to Afghanistan and Iraq to in this so called war against terrorism

My friends I think that we need to respect each others differences and let this one go ... its a messy topic.

I don't want to close threads in the news area when Bu only put it up a few days ago either.

Please don't declare a jihad on me or send me to the holy inquisition either ... I am but a humble peace broker here ...

My dad said don't discuss politics or religion unless your prepared to lose an eye.

We all need two eyes ... its hard to drive let alone catch a ball.

/Closes eyes

Note: The UAE has committed planes to the no-fly zone and tha Arab League approved the thing in the first place ... they pushed for it. The UK and France drove it through and the US agreed in the end (and I would bet grudgingly too). I hardly see what any of that has to do with Israel either ...

Lets hope the rebels get their act together and form another arab democracy.

I'd like another tourist destination which is safe to visit thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.