Sign in with
Your question

Mac won't boot from OS X CD

Last response: in Mac Os X
August 1, 2010 5:35:49 PM

Hi there,

So first off, I have very very little experience with operating Macs outside of schoolwork (Photoshop and whatnot).

Anyways, I've got a friend's PowerBook G4 here that he's recently purchased (used, of course), and the last owner didn't format it/reinstall OS X, so we don't have access to the computer past the login screen, so he's asked me to reinstall OS X.

I've got the CD here (OS version 10.2.1, if that matters), and I put it in and reboot, and press/hold C while it starts up, but it just goes straight back to the login screen every time. I've tried Googling this, but it doesn't look like anyone else has had this problem, or I'm just bad at searching.

Any solutions?

More about : mac boot

August 1, 2010 11:59:56 PM

Nevermind, gave up trying to install OSX and just cracked the admin's password and made a new account.
m
l
August 12, 2010 7:02:51 PM

hrm. if you ever need to boot from disk again, try holding down "option" instead of "c" when you boot. this should give you the option of booting from disk vs. hdd.
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2010 8:40:56 PM

rehkhan97 said:
Why Mac??

Are you a born moron or did you have to practice hard to get that stupid? Quit trolling the UNIX and OS X forums.
m
l
August 16, 2010 10:37:30 PM

Ijack said:
Are you a born moron or did you have to practice hard to get that stupid? Quit trolling the UNIX and OS X forums.

he probably just had some time to kill while his main PC was defragging/running virus scans/bluescreening/having driver issues.
m
l
August 17, 2010 3:34:58 PM

Call Steve.
m
l
!