Win 7 search does not work correctly..help??

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
:hello:
This is a fresh install and I have Indexing enabled for the Entire root drive and have not altered any settings for Windows Search functions.

Example is file extension .fdb (It's a legacy database file), I have hundreds of this is several locations that I cannot recall all locations so I'm trying to use Search.

The OS is exactly named "Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium"

What is going on?
What could be something to check?
Is their some setting I've missed?
Is their any info from MSFT? Registry settings?

I'm embarrassed because I've owned a computer since 1983 :sleep:

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I thought it was obvious when I said 'not working' meant it would not give any results to simple 2 or 3 letter queries.
I thought that was obvious :D

AnyWho.....guess what?

REBUILD-I found it in control panel under Indexing Options. It took under 60 minutes and I now can search easily as I did in XP and VISTA

I'm glad I found an answer to my own question so soon.

We aren't going to sit here and guess as to what your problem is when you post the initial message. Jonmor is right, you need to be clear about the problem you are having so that we can properly assist.

I'm glad you found the solution to your own problem, but next time, please gloat about it to yourself out loud. Gloating about it on the forum just makes you look like an asshole.

No, it wasn't obvious as I'm not sitting in front of your computer or watching over your shoulder to see what you're doing. If you expect help, you must give COMPLETE information. We may know a lot about computers, but mindreaders we are not. "Not working" is not complete information. Now if you had said it's not giving you results to simple 2 or 3 letter inquiries originally, that would have been MUCH more to go on.

Helping people shouldn't turn into a fill-in-the-blank quiz. Remember, a vague description of the issue doesn't help anyone when they can't sit in front of your computer to see what's happening. Complete information is absolutely essential in helping you solve your problem. It's extremely frustrating when someone neglects to provide essential info and then comes back with "well I thought it was obvious". Of course YOU thought it was obvious... you're sitting in front of the damn thing and have all the information you need. WE don't. In the future if you can't provide the required information, then don't bother posting. It's easy to sit there and gloat about solving your own problem and laugh at the rest of us when you've got everything you need to solve it.

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

Obviously 'search not working' generally means 'when I search I get wrong or too little info in return', I stated that in the 2nd reply.

But honestly, I've never seen questions about 'search not working' that didn't mean 'search doesn't return results or to few results', maybe someone has described "search not working" as being something other than 'too few or no results at all' but if I've seen this I would recall it over the last 6 years since reading forum related posts on this and other forums.

Honestly, I wasn't asking about C++ or Java where very very fine details is an absolute.

My solution was to rebuild indexing and then disable the indexing service completely and it is working now.

I do tire :sleep: though of the hokey-poky dance :bounce: , left arm in,left arm out requests and I am VERY glad I fixed this issue all by myself.

..Throws dancing shoes into garbage can...whoosh 2 points nuttin' but net!

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

My gloating? LOL, is everyone around here that thin skinned that my laughter causes you to call me an asshole?

lol, God help us if something really terrible happens....More Keyboard Heroes at work I see.

Of course YOUR use of the word asshole is going to turn out to be ok but my reply to it will be deleted, or otherwise, deemed some posting violation.

If I was thin-skinned enough to ban you because of what you said earlier, I wouldn't be a moderator right now. I'm simply pointing out that you look like an idiot coming on here and posting a question with not enough info, therefore setting up the rest of us for failure. Then you posted not one, but two cocky replies about how you fixed it yourself, and implicitly how the rest of us were useless.

Had you come back and said "Hey, I managed to figure it out. Here is what I did...", and if you're feeling generous, throw in a short "thanks for the suggestions anyway" even if they didn't contribute to the solution at all, this would not have been a problem.

Detaill

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

I agree !!

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

If it would calm nerves and make all involved feel better and not so, what appears, angry at me then please allow me to openly offer an apology for the entire thread.
I should have posted more 'details' but my lack of proper terminology prevented that.

At least now I know how to properly post a question, the part about giving enough information so that it makes more sense.

Not just an apology to you but to anyone I might have offended or made angry or otherwise uncomfortable.

I offer the apology to you all as a serious gesture in hopes that we can all hit the reset button.

thanks.

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
BUMP With NEW CONTENT

People please..

I know what Windows Search is for and am barely sure what indexing does. All I want is to be able to ?index? the desftop and other disk areas that I visit often[how would I determine my most looked at/reviewed locations].. When I disable INDEXING the searching, even of desktop plain sucks, find very few things and none of them after files/folders within desktop.

I've also read other forums about this very same topic and even they are obtuse and verbose but only for some kind of macho status?

So...I guess I enable indexing for all locations so that Windows Search will work but even the Windows 7 Home Premium x64 edition WARMS ME that indexing the whole drive will slow this to a crawl, so then WTF to do then??

If I failed to mention this please accept my apologies but my main C: Drive is a 128GB Solid State Drive made by 'crucial' company.

Please help me or send my to a proper forum.

shmenig

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
hey, i have the same problem. that the windows search is not working at all! none. it does not response at all ( i hope i wrote it right i'm not talking english). any way i try to do rebuild but it didn't help. i try to use the "fix it" of microsoft but he wrote me a mestake messege. i love to get some help here.... thank you!!