Suggested changes to contraband.

Playing a game with host vers. 193 and a friend of mine has mentioned
how virtually no money can be made from contra now. He raised the
(pretty reasonable) point that if it does nothing, why have it?

He suggests replacing it with usable items, like psi-spy ware that
would give bonuses to spying. (basically exotic tech style bonuses).

I would like see something that encouraged trade between players.

ALL contra could be made similar to Spice. IE: it is continually
generated by something (as Amorphs generate spice), creating a
renewable resource. I mean Vaggen War Hounds and Repterren Psi geese
must breed mustn't they? Surely someone somewhere is writing illegal
books or churning out cheap handguns. It could be left as simple as
that, with the owning player then selling off the contra as per
exisiting structure.

OR another alternative: once contra is generated as per above it can be
sold at any market. Price based on the racial contra desires and pop at
the base. The money is then split between the seller and buyer (import
tariffs) as well as increasing happiness at the base where it was sold.
Selling limits kept as they currently are (1 contra per 1000 cols).

I believe there is currently a mechanism by which pods can be landed on
(exploded over?) a base thereby delivering contra and making money for
the pod's owner and crime or maybe unhappiness for the base. Could
this be adapted to allow trade?

This would have the effect of bringing actual trade into the game which
would dilute the pure 'war' aspect but bring an extra level of
interaction to the game.

Thoughts anyone?
3 answers Last reply
More about suggested contraband

    >virtually no money can be made from contra now. He raised the
    >(pretty reasonable) point that if it does nothing, why have it?

    It WILL fluctuate later in the game. At the start of a game the prices
    stay quite steady but as different population growth rates kick in
    things will shift slightly. The big shifts occur when some races
    suddenly get unhappy later in the game - for example because someone has
    taken prisoners.

    >I believe there is currently a mechanism by which pods can be landed on
    >(exploded over?) a base thereby delivering contra and making money for
    >the pod's owner and crime

    It doesn't work any more. It broke. Tim has been informed.
    --
    Paul Honigmann

    Smiley schrieb:
    > Playing a game with host vers. 193 and a friend of mine has mentioned
    > how virtually no money can be made from contra now. He raised the
    > (pretty reasonable) point that if it does nothing, why have it?
    >
    > He suggests replacing it with usable items, like psi-spy ware that
    > would give bonuses to spying. (basically exotic tech style bonuses).
    >
    > I would like see something that encouraged trade between players.
    >
    > ALL contra could be made similar to Spice. IE: it is continually
    > generated by something (as Amorphs generate spice), creating a
    > renewable resource. I mean Vaggen War Hounds and Repterren Psi geese
    > must breed mustn't they? Surely someone somewhere is writing illegal
    > books or churning out cheap handguns. It could be left as simple as
    > that, with the owning player then selling off the contra as per
    > exisiting structure.
    >
    > OR another alternative: once contra is generated as per above it can be
    > sold at any market. Price based on the racial contra desires and pop at
    > the base. The money is then split between the seller and buyer (import
    > tariffs) as well as increasing happiness at the base where it was sold.
    > Selling limits kept as they currently are (1 contra per 1000 cols).
    >
    > I believe there is currently a mechanism by which pods can be landed on
    > (exploded over?) a base thereby delivering contra and making money for
    > the pod's owner and crime or maybe unhappiness for the base. Could
    > this be adapted to allow trade?
    >
    > This would have the effect of bringing actual trade into the game which
    > would dilute the pure 'war' aspect but bring an extra level of
    > interaction to the game.
    >
    > Thoughts anyone?

    I'm against any change, as there was reasons to change the old contra
    model (to much money without any risk).
    You can use contra to make some money as it is now cause the prices
    increase with the number of people of the races as in the old model, but
    you must decide if it is worth now. Or you can make nasty thinks with
    contra now and so I think no changes is necessary.

    Bye-Bye JoSch.

    Don't forget that you can also find contra on planets and generate it
    with amoprhous!

    The whole contra and crime concept needs to be reworked. I would rather
    fix what is broken than to introduce completely new concepts.

Internet Explorer Video Games