Problem with Windows install to RAID 0 array.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacWisco

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Brand new build. Set SATA mode to RAID, Setup new RAID 0 Volume on 2 128 SSDs, Start Windows install, after first screen get following error message: Required CD/DVD drivers not found

If I set SATA mode to AHCI, Windows install starts fine, doesnt ask for drivers, but my RAID Volume is not recognized and shows up as 2 seperate drives with letter assignments.

I want to install them as RAID 0. My Last ASUS Motherboard (1155) This same RAID 0 installation went off without a hitch.

The SSDs are attached to the INTEL SATA 3.0 sockets. The DVD drive is plugged into the INTEL soclket also.

Any ideas what could be problem here?

furry_roadkill

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
looking at your manual, chapter 4.4 will show you how to create the raid array in bios (so that both drives are "combined" and listed as one) then section 4.5 shows you how to create a disk with the raid drivers so that when you get to the point where windows asks you for a driver to install windows you just point to that disk you made and then you can continue. Windows just needs a driver to communicate properly with your controller and put the data where it needs to go according to your raid array (since it's splitting the install between two hard drives). For future reference, creating a raid array almost always requires additional drivers to be added before windows can be installed. link for the manual download here:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Rampage_IV_Extreme/#download

RacWisco

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I am still researching, but some questions still remain:

1. Why does the board default all the SATA drives, to RAID if you slect that? Including any Optical drives?
(To me that seems to be where the problem lies)

2. On my last ASUS board, I did not run into this issue when installing a raid array. This was 7 months ago.

3. Im sure I will get this worked out, but to be honest with you am thinking this is a bit of poor design in the BIOS.

furry_roadkill

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
it appears your board has two storage controllers. the bottom two (sata6g_e1 and sata6g_e2) are on a separate controller from the rest. so you can set the storage drives to those two, enable raid, then put any optical drives on the other ones and select ahci. as far as requiring drivers, it depends on the brand of controller. windows may not have the driver on the disk.

RacWisco

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I after much research have found many posts with this same problem and at least 17 different work arounds all of which involve putting drivers or all of windows on a USB drive and installing that way. Kind of pisses me off as I will have to wait till tommorow and go buy a USB drive to get one step further in this build. Im a little bit pissed to start as I was close to completion 3 days ago, and have s[pent the last 3 days dealing with a bad PSU. Thank god I got it from Amazon and didnt have to deal with RMA etc. I am just as pissed that this exact same install on my ASUS P8P67-M, 2 SSDs with a fresh install of WINDOWS 7 did not require me to jump through these kind of hoops.

RacWisco

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

This seems to make sense, I will try this tommorow, plugging the Opyical drive into the other controllers. One thing a guy told me on another board, is that because of designs like this he lawys keeps WINDOWS on a USB drive for installs so he doesnt have to jack with stuff like this. Seems to make sense and I will probably put together a similiar USB drive, possibly even add some other trouble shooting software.

furry_roadkill

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
y don't you try just swapping cds? load windows until the point of where it asks you for drivers, put your motherboard cd in, point to the raid drivers folder, when it's done loading the drivers and goes back to the 'select hard drive for installation' section, just put windows cd back in. worth a try and can't mess anything up so give it a shot. just make sure you select the right one based on the controller and version of windows (also 32 vs 64bit).

RacWisco

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

I will give that a try, thank you for everyones responses. Im tired now, and that is usually my sign to pack it in and hit it with a clear head tommorow. I will make sure I post, (hopefully) what I ended up doing. Cheers.

RacWisco

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
OK, finally had to put windows 7 and the raid drivers on a USB stick and install like that, some other issues popping up with raid drives dissapearing. Starting to be a bit dissapointed in this board. Probably should have waited for X79 to mature some.

Yeah you must have the RAID and SATA completely ready in the BIOS before installing the OS, and frankly I'm dealing with issues with a non-primary RAID 1 mirror.

Otherwise, yep a flash drive with the unzipped Intel SRT (RSTe_V3002003_XPWin7) drivers is required. I assume you used the (64bit) drivers.

Here's IMO a better alternative -> http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10163-RIVE-Install-Windows-7-from-a-thumb-drive-on-a-RAID0

I'm a hair away from reformatting and re-installing (everything) myself. Maybe Win 7 SP2 will have the drivers on the OS DVD. Anytime there's a newer than the OS chipset you run across this stuff, and I assume you are using the latest BIOS and if not EZ Flash 2 the latest.

Good Luck! :)

edit:

Make certain both registry 'Start values = 0 ; see -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

RacWisco

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
My disk on the USB did have the latest drivers, now im running into the RAID 0 drive dissapearing. Pretty unimpressed with the polish of this board. Type in RAID 0 problems Rampage 4 extreme in Google and it is pretty dissapointing for a board this expensive. Im about ready to shelve it for a month and let other people be Crash Test dummies until they iron this POS out.

Preaching to the Choir - I know. It isn't limited the R4E, as mentioned I'm having Fun myself with Sabertooth X79.

In my case, I might simply move my mechanical's to Marvell. The HDD's are SATA3 interface, and 'normally' I prefer Intel for RAID...go figure.

I'm having a little Déjà vu -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276715-30-x58a-ud3r-raid-bsod-disk-boot-failure However, the ASUS are seemingly immune from the C1/Vt-d 'bug' and I have an excellent OC 4.8GHz @ 1.4v.

RacWisco

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
dude, if i could get this drive un[censored], I may want to do some overclocking. 2 asus ago i had a watercooled Rampage, with 3 GTX 480s 980x, and 1.5 years later that thing has had ) problems. My son uses it for his daily at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.