Understanding Engines

Tristan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I just want to make sure I am understanding the way engines work correctly.

If I fit FTL-1 Warp Drives on my Virgo it will do the following:

- Propel the Virgo a maximum of 90LY a turn (Virgo max speed and engine max
velocity)
- Burn 50kt of fuel to go 1,000LY if my Virgo moves at max hull speed (50kt
per 1000kt mass)

Now, presuming I have that correct...

If I fit FTL-4 Warp Drives on my Virgo it will do the following:

- Propel the Virgo a maximum of 90LY a turn (Virgo max speed regardless of
the fact that the engine has a higher max velocity)
- Burn 40kt of fuel to go 1,000LY if my Virgo moves at max hull speed (50kt
per 1000kt mass)

Is that correct?

Assuming it is, the reasons I might consider to fit engines higher than
FTL-1 on a Virgo would be the fuel burn and the hardness correct?

Thanks for the help!

You'r right (Although if you're going for hardness (and maybe power
you should consider Thylium Trusters especially as you may often use
lightspeed on a virgo which uses the same fuel with each type of
engines).Additionally it could be said, that it is no use to put faster
engines for faster combat speed as this is determined by the hulls max
speed.

Jochen

Tristan wrote:
> I just want to make sure I am understanding the way engines work correctly.
>
> If I fit FTL-1 Warp Drives on my Virgo it will do the following:
>
> - Propel the Virgo a maximum of 90LY a turn (Virgo max speed and engine max
> velocity)
> - Burn 50kt of fuel to go 1,000LY if my Virgo moves at max hull speed (50kt
> per 1000kt mass)
>
> Now, presuming I have that correct...
>
> If I fit FTL-4 Warp Drives on my Virgo it will do the following:
>
> - Propel the Virgo a maximum of 90LY a turn (Virgo max speed regardless of
> the fact that the engine has a higher max velocity)
> - Burn 40kt of fuel to go 1,000LY if my Virgo moves at max hull speed (50kt
> per 1000kt mass)
>
> Is that correct?
>
> Assuming it is, the reasons I might consider to fit engines higher than
> FTL-1 on a Virgo would be the fuel burn and the hardness correct?
>
> Thanks for the help!

you broke the code.

if you have enough ghyps, you build everything with transwarps. there is
also a bonus in power for better engines and it does become an issue
with some weapons very fast.

al

Goto http://www.saarlandoutpost.com/clausimu/

Navigate to FAQ -> Starships -> Engines

There's a sheet I wrote explaining which engines are best and the
different speeds. Oddly, as much of a gas hog as the Tylium is at
higher speeds, it is quite efficient at speeds of 52 and slower.