Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1500 gaming rig run down

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2011 2:39:25 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: very soon, current desktop on life support

Budget Range: $1200-$1500 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, photoshop, light video editing. No online gaming

Overclocking: Yes, I'll try it after I enjoy the new toy for a while.

SLI or Crossfire: I'd like to have the ability to add a second card if need be down the road

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mid-Tower $150
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Graphite-Mid-Tower-Gaming...

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W $130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MOBO: ??
ASRock P67 Extreme4 LGA1155/ Intel P67
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P67-EX4&tit...
Not %100 on this one, and it's out of stock. other recommendations?

CPU: i7 2600k $315 (after rebate)

CPU COOLING: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus $27
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Univ...

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB $75, maybe.

GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD $330 after rebate

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
$140

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s $65

AROUND $1380 if the mobo is around $150. It wouldn't hurt to trim some fat here, but I don't have to. Will this run superclocked GTX 570's SLI if I want to in the future? I've heard mutterings that the p67 board wouldn't be great for GTX570 SLI. I am considerding the i5 2500k and overclocking it for "bang for buck"value. Could I get it to 4.0 with air cooling alone?

THANKS!

More about : 1500 gaming rig run

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
March 15, 2011 5:00:04 PM

Mobo: The ASRock is the best P67 motherboard, though the B3 stepping version hasn't been released yet. It should be out soon. If you don't want to wait, expect to pay an extra $40-50 for a similar board.

Case: There's no reason to pay $150 for a case. One of the best, if not THE best, cases on the market is the HAF 922 and it's only $90 (after rebate). Or if that's not to your liking (it is pretty ugly), the Coolermaster 690 is $70 (after rebate).

RAM: Those G.Skill's aren't $75 (they're $100), but these very similar Corsair sticks are only $10 more.

PSU: I'd rather have the XFX 850W for $136 (after rebate and shipping). It's modular, more efficient and more highly reviewed for basically nothing more. You could easily get by on the 750W model for $30 less.

HSF: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B. It's a touch more expensive, but it offers a lot more cooling. It's also in a combo with either the i7-2600K or the i5-2500K, which may or may not save you anything over using that rebate.

OS: Do you really need Professional? There's really not much of a difference between it and Home, other that $40. Either way, Newegg's got a combo for both versions, that'll save you either $5 or $10.

As for your other questions:

SLI: Yes.

P67/570: Where did you hear this? I've heard nothing of the sort, and it's pretty much categorically wrong. The H67 wouldn't be a good choice with a discrete GPU (no overclocking traded for the integrated graphics), but the P67 shouldn't have any issues.

i5 vs i7: There isn't a lot of difference between the two, until you start through productivity apps at them. If you do a lot of Photoshop and video editing, the i7 would be a better idea.

Overclocking: 4.0 GHz would be easy. I've heard the Sandy Bridge CPUs can go up to 5.0 GHz, even on air.
a b 4 Gaming
March 15, 2011 5:21:41 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$15.00 Combo Price: $434.98
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Here's a 850w psu that stomps that Corsair.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $124.99 FREE SHIPPING
Seasonic SS-850HT 850W ATX12V v2.31,EPS12V v2.92 80Plus Silver Certified, Active PFC Power Supply - OEM
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
March 15, 2011 5:39:35 PM

^That combo is actually MORE expensive than the Ripjaws and the 570 the OP picked. I don't see any reason to go with the combo, espeically whe you can get good RAM for less than the $100 the Ripjaws (or Ripjaws X) will cost you.

As for the PSU, you'd need to buy a separate power cable for it. I think that alone makes it worth paying the extra for the XFX...
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 15, 2011 6:01:05 PM

MadAdmiral said:
^That combo is actually MORE expensive than the Ripjaws and the 570 the OP picked. I don't see any reason to go with the combo, espeically whe you can get good RAM for less than the $100 the Ripjaws (or Ripjaws X) will cost you.

As for the PSU, you'd need to buy a separate power cable for it. I think that alone makes it worth paying the extra for the XFX...

:heink: 

The RAM is the exact same RAM the OP chose...in fact I used the OP's link to make that combo. Also not only does it say in every review on the internet in regards to recommending low voltage RAM (1.5v or even lower) for the fact these 1155 boards don't play well with high voltage RAM, but the board manufacturers recommend the same thing (low voltage RAM). That Corsair RAM you linked is 1.65v sans the reason I would never ever recommend that RAM for a 1155 build. RAM that you have to pump 1.65v into in order for it to achieve it's rated speed and timings < RAM that you only have to put 1.5v into it to get it's rated speed and timings.

With the PSU.... let's see now....a Corsair 80+ rated psu vs a Seasonic Silver rated psu...granted it's OEM, but for $10 or even less a guy can run down to any hardware store and choose the length of power cable he wants depending on how far the nearest power outlet is.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 15, 2011 6:34:54 PM

The difference isn't the RAM, it's the GPU. The one the OP picked out has a rebate on it, making it a lot cheaper to start with at $330. The one in the combo is $350. Therefore, the combo is $5 more expensive after the $100 RAM and a $15 discount (350+100-15 = $435 vs 330+100 = $430). You'd spend less money on basically the exact same parts if you didn't buy the combo.

You may be right on the voltage (typically Intel likes RAM that doesn't use more than 1.65V), but even so, here's some cheaper sticks: Patriot Signature. And still, the combo isn't a better price.

I said nothing about the Corsair PSU, if you had bothered to look at either of my posts. I'm recommending the XFX one that's also 80+ Silver and roughly the same price.
m
l
March 15, 2011 9:30:17 PM

2282179,2,511676 said:
Mobo: The ASRock is the best P67 motherboard, though the B3 stepping version hasn't been released yet. It should be out soon. If you don't want to wait, expect to pay an extra $40-50 for a similar board.

Case: There's no reason to pay $150 for a case. One of the best, if not THE best, cases on the market is the HAF 922 and it's only $90 (after rebate). Or if that's not to your liking (it is pretty ugly), the Coolermaster 690 is $70 (after rebate).

ETHANW:
I'll consider the Coolermaster 690. I like the Corsair for a couple reasons. The cable management seems pretty tidy, all the fans have easily removable dust filters for cleaning (I have dust problems at my place), and I just like the look. I sort of feel like spending over 1,000 on the inside, an extra $60-$70 for the case isn't too big of a deal. I'd like to enjoy the looks and, therefore perceived quality of the case. Plus, I have heard very good things about it.

RAM: Those G.Skill's aren't $75 (they're $100), but these very similar Corsair sticks are only $10 more.

ETHANW:
I'll check those out. The G.Skill's WERE $75 when I checked them out, but I guess it was a special deal.

HSF: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B. It's a touch more expensive, but it offers a lot more cooling. It's also in a combo with either the i7-2600K or the i5-2500K, which may or may not save you anything over using that rebate.

ETHANW:
Thanks for the heads up on the CPU cooler improvement option.

OS: Do you really need Professional? There's really not much of a difference between it and Home, other that $40. Either way, Newegg's got a combo for both versions, that'll save you either $5 or $10.

ETHANW:
I had a friend recommend pro. He will actually be helping me build this. I will ask him why he said to go with that. For me personally, I think the XP mode may very well help, I have some old programs that could cause issues with windows 7.

As for your other questions:

SLI: Yes.

P67/570: Where did you hear this?

ETHANW:
Well, I can't find it now. But it was something someone said somewhere in the Tomshardware forums. He said he wouldn't recommend it. It was based on some chart he found.

Sorry for the multi-quote formatting issue here, it doesn't work the same as other forums I'm on.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 15, 2011 9:38:43 PM

OK..that post was a bit weird...but anyways. If you go with the Scythe Mugen II, then I would look at the G.Skill sniper, or older Ripjaws for RAM seeing how both of those have lower heat sinks. Or the Mushkin RAM for that matter.
m
l
March 16, 2011 2:25:32 AM

Yeah I know it was sort of weird. In the other forum I frequent, DPreview (photography site), you can just insert your answers in the middle of the quoted text, and it all formats properly and makes sense. Obviously, I did not get that right. But thanks for the tip. I was wondering about whether or not the profile on the Ripjaws would be a bit high. Everyone seems to love them here, but if there is a size issue, I'll certainly go another route.
m
l
March 16, 2011 2:35:00 AM

Why_Me said:
The top link is 4 gigs (2x2gb) of higher mhz (1866) rated RAM, and the bottom link is 8 gigs (2x4gb) of lower mhz rated RAM (1600)

Wow, I REALLY wasn't paying attention. I didn't even notice that they were 2x2 and 2x4. I was looking at the mhz. For my purposes I would want the 1600, yes?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 16, 2011 3:06:38 AM

ethanw said:
Wow, I REALLY wasn't paying attention. I didn't even notice that they were 2x2 and 2x4. I was looking at the mhz. For my purposes I would want the 1600, yes?

Yep, especially for the fact 8 gigs for photoshop is ideal....that and it leaves you room if you ever opt for another 8 gigs later on. :) 
m
l
March 17, 2011 4:02:05 AM

Best answer selected by ethanw.
m
l
!