Solved

LIQUID COOLING UPGRADE HELP

I am wondering if I should upgrade to Liquid Cooling.
My CPU temp is around 50c at IDLE.
Is liquid cooling worth it?
I mean people say liquid cooling is not needed and is a geeky thing.
My PC is actually VERY VERY loud even at IDLE (CPU Fan is LOUDEST).
What worries me the most is the fact that there is a chance of a leakage in the entire system.
Are all liquid coolants non-conductive, because I don't want it to fry my motherboard?
I know liquid cooling comes with a radiator...Is that loud compared to CPU fans?
Does liquid cooling require you to have an amazing case (BECAUSE I HAVE A CHEAP CASE)?
In my case I only have two 120 mm fan slots and one 80mm fan.

Is liquid cooling worth getting? What are the cons and pros?
Do I need a specific case?
THANKS PLEASE HELP =D!

AMD Phenom 955 x4 3.2 ghz stock
CORSAIR 4GB DDR3
Radeon 4870 512mb
600w Pwr Supply
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about liquid cooling upgrade help
  1. Don't mess with water unless you're sure, one leak and there's your whole system.

Eventhough you have a pretty bad case, temps shouldn't be that bad. Try reseating the cooler and check if TIM is correctly applied.
  2. There are sealed liquid cooling systems out there if your not sure of building a water loop yourself, Corsair's h50 etc, loads of them and if you do fancy a 'real' loop you can get pre designed kits from several companies including xspc, I have their Rasa RX240 kit I'm currently building into a new project,
    or you can scour the watercooling sites, learn as much as you can about it and go full custom on your loop,
    You can buy non-conductive fluids for kits and custom loops, not sure what gets used in Lcs like H50 though, but theyre sealed and you cant really spill it,
    My four fans on the RX240 Rad are whisper quiet, and they are mounted outside the case,not internally so noise-wise I'm confident I'm going to be happy too
    its up to you to decide really which you opt for, but read up on all possibilities and educate yourself first, maybe post a thread in the W/c section here on Toms, (which is a subsection in overclocking btw)
    Moto
  3. Ok thanks, I actually got the Corsair H50 Liquid Cooling =D. It said that it is pre-filled. Is the coolant inside it non-conductive? Are all coolants non-conductive?
  4. Best answer
    xerb said:
    Ok thanks, I actually got the Corsair H50 Liquid Cooling =D. It said that it is pre-filled. Is the coolant inside it non-conductive? Are all coolants non-conductive?

The coolants are purified/distill water (with additives for most), which is as conductive as water is (very).
    The closed loop kits shouldn't have problem with leaking though.
  5. Ok, thanks =D.
  6. Timop said:
    Quote:
    Don't mess with water unless you're sure, one leak and there's your whole system.

Eventhough you have a pretty bad case, temps shouldn't be that bad. Try reseating the cooler and check if TIM is correctly applied.

Water-cooling is better, dont let people tell you it is not. If you buy good compression fittings for the whole system the likely hood of leaks is low. But if you cant afford to drop 1,000$ or more then dont touch it, cheap water-cooling components are trash.

example.

Good cpu block-100-200$
    good 360mm rad-150$
    good 140mm rad-89$
    good gpu block-100-300$

Good 1/2 id 3/4 od compression fitting-10-20$ and more for angles. Stay away unless you can afford it.
  7. Timop said:
    The coolants are purified/distill water (with additives for most), which is as conductive as water is (very).
    The closed loop kits shouldn't have problem with leaking though.

Google corsair h50 leak/leaking it might make you rethink getting a knock off product from coolit.
  8. cia24 said:
    Water-cooling is better, dont let people tell you it is not. If you buy good compression fittings for the whole system the likely hood of leaks is low. But if you cant afford to drop 1,000$ or more then dont touch it, cheap water-cooling components are trash.

example.

Good cpu block-100-200$
    good 360mm rad-150$
    good 140mm rad-89$
    good gpu block-100-300$

Good 1/2 id 3/4 od compression fitting-10-20$ and more for angles. Stay away unless you can afford it.

Watercooling is better only for absolute performance without concern for the price. Shelling out $1000 for a $500 system is silly, and closed loop systems usually lose to a high-end air cooler.

In your theory, Phase change is even better.
  9. If you have enough real-estate in your case, look into a Noctua NH-U12P cooler (be forewarned it's tall). Another thing, how is the airflow in your case? If you have 1 intake (120mm), and 1 exaust (120mm). See about adding more fans, or getting a case with better airflow first. (or dust out the fans and heatsink, and reapply thermal paste) (the noctua comes with good stuff btw).
  10. Yes phase change cost even more, and can be dangerous anyway its a matter of opinion. Yes 1000 for a 500$ system is kinda stupid I didn't tell him to buy it I was only saying it is better, high end air has a hard time beating the h50, the issue with the h50 is that ones all the water inside of it begins to get hotter it becomes worthless because there is only a single 120mm rad, the plus sides to a air cooler per say like the coolermaster v10 is the TEC once the temp his 60c it almost in most cases i have seen drops its 3-10c very fast so the cooler can catch up.
  11. Alright....I guess I just wasted money on the Corsair H50. I still have 25 days of warranty left on most of my computer components since its new =D. There is absolutely no way I can spend above $100 for just liquid cooling. What are the chances for a leak? If chances are high I guess I'll return the Corsair H50 ad stick to air cooling. Is there any other type of water cooling under $100?
  12. coolit systems are alot better, dont get my wrong the h50 is not bad, everything is prone to leaking. http://www.coolitsystems.com/
  13. So is COOLIT a better choice compared to Corsair? I can replace my H50 easily right now. I just want the best choice.
  14. If you cant afford water, you dont want to get into it,
    if you have the H50 already, keep that going while you research watercooling then decide if you want to get wet properly,
    the words 'cheap' and 'watercooling' only belong in a sentence together that has the word 'isn't' sandwiched between them :P
    Moto
  15. xerb said:
    So is COOLIT a better choice compared to Corsair? I can replace my H50 easily right now. I just want the best choice.

Yes, Coolit is a much better choice.
  16. cia24 said:
    Yes, Coolit is a much better choice.

Whos the OEM for Corsair anyways?
  17. Timop said:
    Whos the OEM for Corsair anyways?

coolit
  18. Is there a significant price difference between Corsair H50 and any Coolit Liquid Cooling System?
  19. Not really there are alot of coolit system you will have to figure out which is best for you.
  20. Alright thanks =D
  21. Best answer selected by xerb.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cases Water Cooling CPUs Components