Solved

Better cpu or better gpu?

Hi, i need some advice.I want to buy a gaming pc and I have 3 choices.
Ignoring the prices, which of the following is the best option?

The first one has a 6-core cpu, the 2nd has faster clock rate and more memory, while the last one has a better video card but the worst cpu...

Fyi, I dont do any video editing, this would mainly be for gaming.
I am not going to upgrade in near future
and I want to be able to play the new games (mostly fps or rpg) in the next 2/3 yrs.

Thanks in advance ^_^

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI Express Graphics
4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333
1TB (1 x 1TB) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
24X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive

AMD Phenom II X4 965(3.4GHz)
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI Express Video Card
8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1333
1TB (1 x 1TB) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
24X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive

AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.80GHZ Quad-Core CPU
AMD Radeon HD 6850 with 1GB GDDR5
4GB Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
24X DVDRW Combo drive
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about better
  1. How about Phenom II x4 955, 4GB DDR3 RAM and a HD6850?
  2. what he said.
    youll gain nothing in the extra cores or ram for your purposes
  3. But out of the choices you have I would go with the Athlon/6850. In gaming the gpu always is more important than then cpu.
  4. I'm considering buying from these places rather than building it myself
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229237
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229206
    http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6970829&pagenumber=2&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=#ReviewStart

    Since I'm a noob with hardware issues, I prefer to pick one of them without making any changes...

    Hi zooted, I would like to know if the Athlon/6850 can give me more fps, say if I'm playing at crysis at resolution 1920*1024, high details, directx 11 mode ?

    I just saw another choice
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6655831&csid=ITD&body=REVIEWS#tabs
    It has i7-860 and 8G ram but a little bit more expensive.
    Though it seems that a memory size of more than 6G is more than necessary, am I correct?
  5. 8GB Ram (2x4GB)is the sweet spot now. I also would go with the HD6850 combo. for the same reasons as zooted.
  6. saintshing said:
    I'm considering buying from these places rather than building it myself
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229237
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229206
    http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6970829&pagenumber=2&RSort=1&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=#ReviewStart

    Since I'm a noob with hardware issues, I prefer to pick one of them without making any changes...

    Hi zooted, I would like to know if the Athlon/6850 can give me more fps, say if I'm playing at crysis at resolution 1920*1024, high details, directx 11 mode ?

    I just saw another choice
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6655831&csid=ITD&body=REVIEWS#tabs
    It has i7-860 and 8G ram but a little bit more expensive.
    Though it seems that a memory size of more than 6G is more than necessary, am I correct?

    The problem with those prebuilds is that they usually skimp on key components (ie. PSU) It is wiser to build you own. It is a very simple process to put a computer together and there are plenty of guides/people to help you here/other sites.
  7. clarkjd said:
    8GB Ram (2x4GB)is the sweet spot now. I also would go with the HD6850 combo. for the same reasons as zooted.

    Bold statement no follow up, show me the benchmarks where in Strictly gaming having 8gbs helps more than 4gbs in multiple scenarios/games, and then i will agree with you.
  8. zooted said:
    The problem with those prebuilds is that they usually skimp on key components (ie. PSU) It is wiser to build you own. It is a very simple process to put a computer together and there are plenty of guides/people to help you here/other sites.


    Guys what are your opinions on the following build?
    The total cost is $~1000. I am buying from NICX.

    I think this will suit all my needs. The only things that I'm worried about
    is that the power supply may not be enough,
    maybe some more fan/cooling system are also needed?
    I'm also not sure if the cpu, gpu, memory and hard drive are compatible with the motherboard.

    For $50, they will do the testing and assemble it for me. Is it worth the money or I can easily do it by myself?

    $136 Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 ATX LGA1155 P67 DDR3 3PCI-E1 2PCI 1PCI-E16 CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

    $215 Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB

    $95 Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-27 240PIN Core i5 i7 AMD Memory Kit

    $200 Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI 2XMINI DisplayPort HDMI PCI-E Video Card

    $63 Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB 1000GB Hard Drive SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache 3.5IN OEM

    $16 LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM

    $50 Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio

    $97 Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular Power Supply SLI ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC 2X8PIN PCI-E 135mm Fan

    $130 BenQ G2222HDH Black 21.5IN Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1080 5ms 40000:1DC VGA HDMI *IR-$25*
  9. Best answer
    Don't like the case.
    what about the HAF 912


    you can easily build it yourself.
    don't waste cash on having someone build it for you
  10. HeyImGodly said:
    Bold statement no follow up, show me the benchmarks where in Strictly gaming having 8gbs helps more than 4gbs in multiple scenarios/games, and then i will agree with you.


    I didn't say it helped with gaming :non: , simply that with a 64 bit OS, and the current low prices for 8GB RAM kits, that appears to be the sweet spot. :) Also, unless your are getting more than 4GB, there is no reason to get a 64 bit OS. :ouch:
  11. Best answer selected by saintshing.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build CPUs Systems Product