VCR movement tuning

Seems to me, that Tim keeps tweaking VCR and saying it's fixed. Then
there is a storm of complaints about it being broken.

I suspect that the movement, for example, is governed by about 20
factors. A ship will be thinking "I need to get near that thing... but
I've got this standoff command... and I'm on Strike Through... and I've
got a HG... and that ship over there is firing at me and distracting me"

The code is probably all there. And more or less working. It's the
balance of what has priority, which is confusing the issue. Tim must be
testing the code differently to the rest of us.
--
Paul Honigmann

Sparrow

Unfortunately I don't think so. From the remote position I'm in, I
suspect that the VCR code needs to be completely rewritten! An
initiative has already been started by Gabor, but alas Tim doesn't tell
if he would inherit it or if this is all vain effort. :-(((

I hate seing my ships randomly floating, stayign still, or zooming by
on some space track.

I'd like to see whole concept of the circular movement needs to be
removed. Where ships don't try to go into middle, but rather to other
ships. And they should never make circles around a fake middle. They
should always try closing to the enemies, that was the point of the VCR
for ship combat. I think once we remove the circular concept we can
start addressing things.

Yes please remove the carousel.

Use a direct to the target like in the killing floor (vgap 3 alternate fleet
comabt vcr).

1120584033.500465.24970@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Lord Lancelot wrote:
> Yes please remove the carousel.
>
> Use a direct to the target like in the killing floor (vgap 3 alternate fleet
> comabt vcr).
>
> <codynelson@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 1120584033.500465.24970@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>>I hate seing my ships randomly floating, stayign still, or zooming by
>>on some space track.
>>
>>I'd like to see whole concept of the circular movement needs to be
>>removed. Where ships don't try to go into middle, but rather to other
>>ships. And they should never make circles around a fake middle. They
>>should always try closing to the enemies, that was the point of the VCR
>>for ship combat. I think once we remove the circular concept we can
>>start addressing things.

I would like the kill target to be the priority if set, then the attack
settings should apply. I am also getting the idea that the settings
either do not work or that Tim has a completely different interpretation
of them than most of us. I have set "Ram" plus "hold the line at all
costs" for thousands of battles, and have only seen one ram in the
however many years we have been doing this. I would think that the VCR
should have ships running all over trying to fulfill their orders insted
of going round and round, you could throw up watching a few of them.

Of course that is just my .02 Euros,

al

I would like to get all that 0.02 EUR,USD,... said about vcr...

--
GFM GToeroe alias Gabor Törö
gfm@gtoeroe
"alevans" <vze6n8p0@verizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:U6Dye.3605$vu5.1932@trndny08...
> Lord Lancelot wrote:
> > Yes please remove the carousel.
> >
> > Use a direct to the target like in the killing floor (vgap 3 alternate fleet
> > comabt vcr).
> >
> > <codynelson@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> > 1120584033.500465.24970@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >

> Of course that is just my .02 Euros,
>
> al

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Gabor Törö wrote:
> I would like to get all that 0.02 EUR,USD,... said about vcr...

I'm totally confused by vcr movement. Especially such things as Star
Destroyers or Terras moving faster than Annis.

And today I had a couple of diplomat battles where two identical ships
entered combat on the same vector, and having taken similar damage
(about half their armour gone) one of them was sitting still at the edge
of the map and the other was whizzing around the outside of the map at
top speed.

And I did notice some interesting fighter behavior. They weren't just
zooming round the outside, they were breaking in towards the enemy ships
near the centre of the map. Unfortunately they then veered sharply away
from the enemy ships just before getting into conbat range and returned
to the outside of the map, before repeating the whole thing.

And also interestingly, I had Pulsed Lasers creating internal explosions
- well it was either them or the flake cannon.

Well, I believe much can be healed in the current code. If it is not yet too late, I take a second run on the two host routines I've got...

--

codynelson@gmail.com writes

>I'd like to see whole concept of the circular movement needs to be
>removed.

Yes.
--
Paul Honigmann

>I'd like to see whole concept of the circular movement needs to be
removed. >

I'd like to see it gone too. Atleast the very least the ships should
use direct attack vector.

Skies schrieb:
> >I'd like to see whole concept of the circular movement needs to be
> removed. >
>
> I'd like to see it gone too. Atleast the very least the ships should
> use direct attack vector.

Yes,
circular movements for ships is not realistic.
the whole vcr needs to be rewritten from straight calculations.
No weird exclusions and complex nested programming..

Please !!!

sun_z

nameless

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

codynelson@gmail.com wrote:
> I hate seing my ships randomly floating, stayign still, or zooming by
> on some space track.
>
> I'd like to see whole concept of the circular movement needs to be
> removed. Where ships don't try to go into middle, but rather to other
> ships. And they should never make circles around a fake middle. They
> should always try closing to the enemies, that was the point of the VCR
> for ship combat. I think once we remove the circular concept we can
> start addressing things.

What about the ships which are not trying to engage any other ship in
the vcr,
in most cases that would be the case if the ship wants to flee, where
are they to go and how do you want to have them move (and bear in mind
that you can be faster at another point far away if your speed is
faster in the beginning since an object does not move with zero speed
one tick and at max speed the next combat tick)?
And I think sometimes a few ships would prefer to move backwards (away
from the middle of the vcr) from the start, but that is not possible...

Ships that wantto leave should be able to try and leave (something that
doesn't happen anyways). But to make it a little more fitting where
ships apear inside the boundy a certain amount, and they try and turn
to go the oposit direction.

There should be cool down speed up times to do the turning, so the
other ship will have time to prety much be line to it. If no ships are
damaged, then no VCR, you just get a minor ship conflect. If you ships
are still together in the next movement phase, then it generates
another VCR, again no ships damaged no CVR, but if one of those times
you end up starting same location or not able to turn around fast
enough then there would be forced combat.

Sure you might add another 10 seconds to run host when you have a lot
of these minor ship conflects, but at least you will fix the biggest
flaw in ship combat.

I mean because of the circular nature that was put into it, none even
stand off 900 works on both ships. (tested with both ships stand off
900 with the shortest range weapons)

Also I think ship experiance should almost eliminate randomness too.