AVG daily scan freezes onboard Geforce 6100

Hello friends,

I recently reassembled my old machine and did a clean install of OS and programs. Everything is rock solid with this one exception.

I had AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 configured to scan for viruses daily. Whenever the scheduled scan starts the entire machine freezes.

I'm running a dual monitor setup; Primary monitor runs off a PCIE ASUS 6200 and the secondary monitor off of the on board Geforce 6100. When the machine freezes the secondary monitor displays a scrambled signal (white bars with misc. colors) which leads me to believe there is something wrong with the onboard GPU although I'm not sure exactly whats going on.

FYI - a user initiated virus scan completes successfully, no problem

Anyone else have any experience with this type of issue? Would a different virus scanner be appropriate? Or...I've been thinking about a new video card, but am not sure hardware would solve this problem if its a configuration issue.

I've been searching around but am unsure the best search terms for this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-Luke :hello:

======================
Here are my full system specs:

Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G (rev. 1.0) with NVIDIA® Geforce 6100 + nForce 430 chipset
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 CPU cooler
Athlon 64 X2 5000+ BE (at stock frequency for troubleshooting)
4GB G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D
Asus EN6200TC512
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Happauge WinTV-PVR-150
Belkin USB 2.0 5-port PCI
Linksys WMP54G wireless adapter
NEC ND-3520A DVD burner
ULTRA ULT 40366 Card Reader
2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB
Western Digital 1TB Drive
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750
Antec Sonata II Case
3 answers Last reply
More about daily scan freezes onboard geforce 6100
  1. Try downloading Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and effective. Be sure to uninstall AVG. You have one odd problem there....never seen one like that.
  2. Thanks, I installed Win Security essentials. So far, no crashes. What a weird thing.....AVG was in conflict with my onboard GPU.
  3. Never seen that before myself, and I have seen some bizarre stuff. Glad you have a working system now. Good luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics