PLEASE HELP! Bad BIOS Update, can't restore backup.

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Alright so I have an Asus P8Z69-V PRO Motherboard. Long story short... I've really messed up. I was having problems with some SSD and I tried to update the BIOS thinking it might help. Using the Flash Utility 2 I backed up the BIOS before, and of course, when I updated the BIOS it crashed the computer. I reset the CMOS and tried to restore the backed up BIOS but it says "Image Outdated". So I put in the MOBO cd and tried to install the .ROM file in the same Flash Utility, but again it says "Image Outdated". I reallllllly hope I didn't mess something up here. I built the computer myself, but I'm not THAT computer savvy, so I know I probably shouldn't have even tried to update the BIOS. Any ideas?? Help is greatly appreciated!

Ok man first ima say "If its working don't try to fix it because it can unfix it" now if you are refering to your Windows Experience dropping on the Disk part, even tho you have a SSD. Its gonna drop eventually. Now iDK what other issues you were having with it. But you should have just went into the bios and worked from there. Updating a bios may not fix everything. Now ill let next person help you

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

I know, but it was broken, thats why I was trying to fix it. Someone mentioned that I should try to update the BIOS, so I did. And now I'm really screwed. I was only trying some options that people had recommended.

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

I used the MOBO jumper. I actually have to use the jumper every single time or else it just reboot cycles endlessly. Should I try taking out the MOBO battery? If so, does it matter how long I leave it out or are there any other effects of that?

fongmh

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
First thing -- DO NOT remove battery while computer is on. First, it just sounds bad, and secondly, who knows wtf will arc while you're down there.

OK, I don't know if this will work but try this: usually, there are 3 configs for the jumper: 1) normal, 2) config, 3) recovery. I did this recently (this evening), and what I did was first pull out the jumper altogether sending it into recovery mode, which I presumed put everything back to factory. Then I rebooted into config mode.

However, if your BIOS is screwed, then it may be more problematic. I haven't done this before, but I did a quick search for downgrading ASUS' BIOS and it turns out that your problem is not unique.

If you google "downgrade ASUS BIOS", you'll turn up a number of suggestions that you use a tool called AFUDOS to revert back to your backed up BIOS. I think this is probably the more promising solution.

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I'm not to savvy about these kinds of things to be honest. I know if you leave the battery out for a few minutes it will reset your settings but I'd recommend contacting ASUS directly, by phone if possible. You could also try a professional computer repair shop, hope it works out :/