Sign in with
Your question

New i5 2500k sandy bridge build, need some advice

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2011 1:13:28 PM

I am currently looking into getting a computer built. After some extensive research i decided on using EcollegePC.com, I have

heard nothing but good things from them, Anyhow i am trying to keep my build under 1k.

Things to note. I do not need a hard drive nor Ram. I have an SSD and 8gb of ripjaws already.

I don't plan to do to much overclocking. Id like to get it to around 4k.

My questions are is this cooling solution adequate, or should i opt for the corsair hydocooler(h50), its an aditional $50. Also i dont like the 2 year warranty on the water cooler.

The video card is my other gripe. I'm thinking of getting it w/o a video card. and maybe getting something better from newegg.

I'm having trouble deciding between this Asus board and the gigabyte equivalent.

With case fans would having 2 fans over 1, drop my temperatures significantly, make my computer more noisy?

My wife wants this computer to be almost silent, so trying to find a balance between cooling/noise.

The computer will mainly be used for MMO gaming, starcraft 2, diablo 3, etc.

Id appreciate any help with this build.

3.3Ghz Intel Core i5-2500K 6MB Cache Quad-Core
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm CPU Fan/Heatsink
ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 (Intel P67, 3xPCI-E, 8xSATA, 4xDDR3)
1GB ATI Radeon HD5770 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI (Major Brand)
Apevia Black X-Jupiter Jr. (5 5.25, 5 3.5) 2 Fans, Audio/USB/1394/Temp
750watt Antec TruePower New TP-750 Modular
Onboard LAN included
Onboard Sound included
2x 120mm Case Fan
Wires and Cables neatly tied up away from fans
Three year hassle free pickup and return

$929.00

If i remove the video card it comes out to bout $800.

March 15, 2011 1:58:38 PM

If you won't be overclocking, you can go with the cooler that's already in your spec or even stock. ASUS and Gigabyte both produce great products and are the only motherboards I use for any build so either way you want to go with that one is fine.

The games you appear to like are more CPU-intensive (not sure about Diablo3 though) than most but still require some rendering power. I know what you mean about the video card. The 5770 is a low-end card with respect to gaming. You could get it and see how long you can stand to play with lower settings then grab something different from Newegg later? Personally, I don't like when you can't pick the brand of major components.

What kind of hard drive (another component where I like to know the brand)?

Is that price with the OS installed?
m
l
March 15, 2011 2:12:24 PM

Thanks for the response.

I have an Intell 80gb SSD which i will use. I have an unused windows licence key from when i was in school, microsoft had a promotion and i picked it up.

So the price i listed is w/o the hard drive.

I searched for the same build on newegg and this is what i got

3.3Ghz Intel Core i5-2500K 6MB Cache- $219.99
ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 (Intel P67, 3xPCI-E, 8xSATA, 4xDDR3) - $149.99
Apevia Black X-Jupiter Jr. -$64.99 (There is a 20 dollar rebate, but those almost never work out for me)
750watt Antec TruePower New TP-750 Modular- $89.99
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler- $29.99
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL - $23

Comes out to $547.

The identical config from ecollege pc is $750.

is 200 dollars to much to pay for a build?

Does anyone know another cheaper place to get a build?

Ive heard too many nigthmare stories from cyberpower, ibuypower.
I actually had a build from cyberpower, but i cancelled it after everything i heard.
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2011 2:29:28 PM

i was looking at the power supplies, and thought maybe i could get

Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply. its somewhat cheaper.

is 650 going to be enough to OC and run one high end video card
m
l
March 15, 2011 2:33:06 PM

Firstbuild,
This is important if you are thinking of removing the video card you need to change the board that you have picked. The P67 boards do not support cpu based graphics(there are no graphic ports off the board to connect to) so you must add in a graphics card. If you change to the H67 chipset based board that you can use the on processor graphics and will not spend money for a video card.

Other then this issue it looks like you have a nice build here.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
March 15, 2011 3:01:15 PM

Firstbuild11 said:
Thanks for the response.

I have an Intell 80gb SSD which i will use. I have an unused windows licence key from when i was in school, microsoft had a promotion and i picked it up.

So the price i listed is w/o the hard drive.

I searched for the same build on newegg and this is what i got

3.3Ghz Intel Core i5-2500K 6MB Cache- $219.99
ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 (Intel P67, 3xPCI-E, 8xSATA, 4xDDR3) - $149.99
Apevia Black X-Jupiter Jr. -$64.99 (There is a 20 dollar rebate, but those almost never work out for me)
750watt Antec TruePower New TP-750 Modular- $89.99
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler- $29.99
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL - $23

Comes out to $547.

The identical config from ecollege pc is $750.

is 200 dollars to much to pay for a build?

Does anyone know another cheaper place to get a build?

Ive heard too many nigthmare stories from cyberpower, ibuypower.
I actually had a build from cyberpower, but i cancelled it after everything i heard.

Considering all I've heard, CyberpowerPC.com seems to be a good place to get a PC. My cousin isn't big into building his own so he orders exclusively from them. He hasn't had any problem.

I like to build a PC myself, though I priced out the last PC I built at CyberpowerPC. Of course I couldn't pick the specific brands I like for some components, but it was only $50 less to build than if they would have built it and they offer a warranty. That's pretty darn close considering I dropped $1500. If I didn't get the enjoyment out of building them myself, I would definitely buy from them based on his experience.

Considering you can piece together a PC in your price range for $200 less than what eCollege.com (never heard of them) can build it for you (with no OS?), I'd say build it yourself. Concerning support and warranty, you don't even know if eCollege will be around next year (or even next month for that matter), whereas a company like CyberpowerPC has been around for many years.

That earthwatts power supply would be fine for single video card configurations and most dual card configurations with lower to mid-range video cards.
m
l
!