I have 2 gtx 465's in sli at this moment dont really like them

want to go with one card that will play all games max at 1920x1080p

please let me know what you all think i should get

More about : upgrading gtx 465

a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 7:18:45 PM

I was told not all of the gtx 465's flash into 470's

Quote:
1.) flash the ROM or BIOS (whichever you wanna call it) in each one to a GTX470..
we told you not to get those cards when you opened that thread about them way back.. (i might have that thread part wrong and it might be another guy)
2.) scale up and get one GTX580..

a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 7:22:18 PM

bad idea

I will pop in a word of caution here.

Some of us have been trying this with the cards released to reviewers prior to launch which ARE retail samples. Of the 12 cards we have tested, 4 "unlocked", 3 recognized the BIOS but didn't "unlock" and 5 are now paper weights. Nothing was going to be published for several days until we found a way to successfully flash the dead cards back to their original state. Seems like caution has once again been thrown into the wind though.

You SERIOUSLY do this at your own risk ESPECIALLY if you don't feel comfortable reading translated Romanian.

source-http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 7:43:44 PM

I have the option to get a gtx 295 free better off with this or not then i can get another for sli
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 7:47:49 PM

lol will it how better preformance then 465? and what 2 gpus are in the 295 to 275's?
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 7:53:23 PM

cia24 said:
bad idea

I will pop in a word of caution here.

Some of us have been trying this with the cards released to reviewers prior to launch which ARE retail samples. Of the 12 cards we have tested, 4 "unlocked", 3 recognized the BIOS but didn't "unlock" and 5 are now paper weights. Nothing was going to be published for several days until we found a way to successfully flash the dead cards back to their original state. Seems like caution has once again been thrown into the wind though.

You SERIOUSLY do this at your own risk ESPECIALLY if you don't feel comfortable reading translated Romanian.

source-http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25...

Tried reflashing them by booting the system with a regular old PCI video card and setting your default video device in BIOS to PCI, and using it to get video while you reflash the 465?

a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 8:08:42 PM

cia24 said:
lol will it how better preformance then 465? and what 2 gpus are in the 295 to 275's?

two gtx 260s, get a gtx 580 or a gtx 570 should be more than enough, what kind of resolution are you trying to pull, settings and in what games, you gotta have a reason to have that highend of graphics bc if you are just gaming at 1080p a single 570 should be more than enough for 95% of games maxed out to the absolute max with 60+ fps

edit* nevermind just read your post about the 1080p res, I would get a gtx 570 and not look back here is a good one. If you want to go all the way to the top get a gtx 580 but I personally do not think the price premium is worth it.

here is a good gtx 570 to go with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and a 580:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

still I think the 570 is a much better value and about $150 cheaper go with the 570, sli these cards and you will have unbelievable gpu power
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 8:14:37 PM

Quote:
^
+1
I did say scale up to a GTX570 GTX580 as well..

yeah a 570 is probably the most logical choice for a single nvidia gpu, and if he wants to go all out, a 580
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 8:17:05 PM

cia24 said:

a free 295 is pretty hard to pass up but im sure sometime down the road you will want to move up to a dx11 class card but i think if you stayed with the 295 you would still have pretty solid performance for the next year or two, maybe more you could save your money for the newest nvidia offering around that time
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 8:32:45 PM

yeah the gigabyte is good, ive head good things about this palit card it is a nonreference design with two fans and a high clock on the core, in my expiriences palit has been just fine, never had a problem with them, but yeah the gigabyte one is probly well made as I hear that the reference deisgn cooling for the 5 series is really good.

Best solution

a c 172 U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 8:34:22 PM

Wow lucky you :o  not all of us ever get that lucky except on blue moons. Do a contest for those 465s wont ya? pls

Give the 295 a try first and you should be pleased even though it is still sli. Over all it is a better option than your current cards as the raw performance will be higher and with better fillrates you should notice a minor performance boost if there is nothing wrong that would bottleneck the card. The GTX 465 was only a stop gap card for those who couldn't wait for any thing else at the time that was DX11. For nvidia it was a cheap way to break even.

Option one GTX295
Option two sell your current cards and cash in on a GTX 570.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 8:39:47 PM

nforce4max said:
Wow lucky you :o  not all of us ever get that lucky except on blue moons. Do a contest for those 465s wont ya? pls

Give the 295 a try first and you should be pleased even though it is still sli. Over all it is a better option than your current cards as the raw performance will be higher and with better fillrates you should notice a minor performance boost if there is nothing wrong that would bottleneck the card. The GTX 465 was only a stop gap card for those who couldn't wait for any thing else at the time that was DX11. For nvidia it was a cheap way to break even.

Option one GTX295
Option two sell your current cards and cash in on a GTX 570.

^+1 agreed, yeah really this is the ops best choices no need to overthink this one just go for it
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 8:50:42 PM

how does a gtx 295 work using only 1 pci slot?
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 8:53:01 PM

cia24 said:

it only uses one pci-e slot, lol its a single card with two gtx 260 chips on it
January 10, 2011 8:53:41 PM

jjb8675309 said:
yeah the gigabyte is good, ive head good things about this palit card it is a nonreference design with two fans and a high clock on the core, in my expiriences palit has been just fine, never had a problem with them, but yeah the gigabyte one is probly well made as I hear that the reference deisgn cooling for the 5 series is really good.

Yep he probably won't have trouble with the Palit ... I am just a Gigabyte fanboi :D 
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 9:56:32 PM

not what i meant i dont get how a pcie slot can handle a dual gpu
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 10:30:20 PM

cia24 said:
not what i meant i dont get how a pcie slot can handle a dual gpu

yeah btw how are you getting a free gtx 295? is there a good five finger discount your getting?
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 10:51:42 PM

cia24 said:

A GTX 295 is basically two GT200B 55nm gpus sharing a single pci-e slot through a pci-e switch (BRo4) that are in the 240 shader mode with the vram to rop decoupled thus internally the gpu is full spec while the vram spec is like that of a GTX 260 and GTX 275. There are two types with one being a single pcb (worst) and the VHS style having two pcbs sharing a single cooler. The switch allows for two devices to share a single interconnect being either 8 lanes or 16 lanes that are electronically and splitting them into half the total value between the two devices connected to the switch. Performance in games is good that makes use of crossfire and sli while single gpu games well only one.
a c 172 U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 11:00:07 PM

Quote:
^
LOL.
I mentioned something similar to that..... :whistle: 
I didn't see or hear nuttin'..

True but I went into details. I was trying to get one once and did a lot of research about this card. It is a cool card and a former friend has two of them. The older VHS style was a much better card than the single pcb. Better cooling, clocks, and much higher quality than the single pcb. The single pcb version has two crap for heatinks for cooling (something that I wouldn't use on a 9800gt let alone a GT200) and it is known to have many issues. Performance one you get the card working right is nice in games that can make use of such a card but in physx and games that don't take advantage of multy gpu system this card fails compared to the GTX 285.
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2011 12:16:04 AM

lol u funny friend just got a 580 wil give me 295

jjb8675309 said:
yeah btw how are you getting a free gtx 295? is there a good five finger discount your getting?

a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2011 12:16:26 AM

Best answer selected by cia24.
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 11, 2011 6:19:08 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
!