EE guide updated

See www.furfur-

-demon-co-uk/geop/

v4empire.htm - the red text is the new stuff.
--
Paul Honigmann

Good stuff man, thanks!

Although kinda anoying have to reconstruct the url . . .

Great guide. Found it to be very informative!

You posed a couple of questions/therioes on it, which being motivated
after reading the update guide decided to sim. Hope they help.

(Rebels are immune to the Dark Sense? Not sure about that...)

No they are not immune. Tested this with starting ships and HB's around
EE base and ships. EE are able to see Fatso's weapons just as well as
the other races.

Symptom: sometimes, you boost a pod to a ship which is hyperjumping the
same turn, and it does not dock before the ship HYPs, and gets left
behind.
Cause: Migs (for example) can move at speed 90. EE Pods can only move
at speed 35. If the Mig has its warp engines turned on as well as its
hyperdrive, it outruns the pod, and the pod never catches up
Note: this used to work until hyperjump movement was changed to happen
mid way through movement, at phase 100.
Solution: Set Mig's warp speed to zero and wait for the pod to be
docked before hyperjumping away. it takes an extra turn.

Untested idea: you used to be able to save a turn by launching the pod
set to dock with a hypership but boosted to the destination planet and
set to land there. It would arrive with thrusters off and form a base
immediately. This no longer works. - I wonder if you could do that by
setting the Mig's speed to 35? Must try that...

Tested 4 migs with various speeds all with hype on. The pods were all
lauched in the same turn as the migs moved.

Delta = 0 speed - pod docked with mig and landed at planet.
Omega = 90 speed - pod docked with Mig and landed at planet.
Sigma = 35 speed - pod docked with Mig and landed at the planet.
Tau = 0 speed - however, pod boosted to Mig. Pod undocked itself at
planet, but is still in orbit.

I have currant updates.
Robert.

> I couldn't find anything on Tim's site saying that Rebels should be immune
> to this, were they supposed to be?

It was news to me as well, which I simmed it.

> Pods should *always* dock to a ship before it starts to move, so long as
> that ship is over the base the pod was launched from. I recently tested this
> out, and there's a note in the Host Order of Events.

Yes they should, but does not always happen.

> The first three make sense to me if the ships wer eover the base the pods
> were launched at. Pods inherantly have their boosters on.

Yes all ships started from the base.

I am assuming the fourth ship was away from the planet the pod was
launched from since you sayit boosted to it?

No it was not.

Did you have the drop target set to the planet you wanted the pod to
land at for the fourth ship?

All drop targets were the planet they were supposed to land at.

Robert.

Thanks a lot I have tried many time to do this in 1 turn and failed.

This is very good news !

Thanks

Lord Lancelot

> Untested idea: you used to be able to save a turn by launching the pod
> set to dock with a hypership but boosted to the destination planet and
> set to land there. It would arrive with thrusters off and form a base
> immediately. This no longer works. - I wonder if you could do that by
> setting the Mig's speed to 35? Must try that...
>
> Tested 4 migs with various speeds all with hype on. The pods were all
> lauched in the same turn as the migs moved.
>
> Delta = 0 speed - pod docked with mig and landed at planet.
> Omega = 90 speed - pod docked with Mig and landed at planet.
> Sigma = 35 speed - pod docked with Mig and landed at the planet.
> Tau = 0 speed - however, pod boosted to Mig. Pod undocked itself at
> planet, but is still in orbit.
>
> I have currant updates.
> Robert.

> I would say that there's a bug somewhere then. As that's an inconsistancy.
> Possibly the result of left over code from when hyping was done before
> movement.

When I get time I will do more sims. However, in my two recent games as
rebels I sometimes found the ship had moved before accepting a pod.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you very much.... this couldn't have come at a better time for me.
>:cool:

Eric

"KlingonKommand" <Paul@nurk.fnord> wrote in message

> See www.furfur-
>
> -demon-co-uk/geop/
>
> v4empire.htm - the red text is the new stuff.
> --
> Paul Honigmann

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> (Rebels are immune to the Dark Sense? Not sure about that...)
>
> No they are not immune. Tested this with starting ships and HB's around
> EE base and ships. EE are able to see Fatso's weapons just as well as
> the other races.

I couldn't find anything on Tim's site saying that Rebels should be immune
to this, were they supposed to be?

> Symptom: sometimes, you boost a pod to a ship which is hyperjumping the
> same turn, and it does not dock before the ship HYPs, and gets left
> behind.
> Cause: Migs (for example) can move at speed 90. EE Pods can only move
> at speed 35. If the Mig has its warp engines turned on as well as its
> hyperdrive, it outruns the pod, and the pod never catches up
> Note: this used to work until hyperjump movement was changed to happen
> mid way through movement, at phase 100.
> Solution: Set Mig's warp speed to zero and wait for the pod to be
> docked before hyperjumping away. it takes an extra turn.

Pods should *always* dock to a ship before it starts to move, so long as
that ship is over the base the pod was launched from. I recently tested this
out, and there's a note in the Host Order of Events.

> Untested idea: you used to be able to save a turn by launching the pod
> set to dock with a hypership but boosted to the destination planet and
> set to land there. It would arrive with thrusters off and form a base
> immediately. This no longer works. - I wonder if you could do that by
> setting the Mig's speed to 35? Must try that...
>
> Tested 4 migs with various speeds all with hype on. The pods were all
> lauched in the same turn as the migs moved.
>
> Delta = 0 speed - pod docked with mig and landed at planet.
> Omega = 90 speed - pod docked with Mig and landed at planet.
> Sigma = 35 speed - pod docked with Mig and landed at the planet.
> Tau = 0 speed - however, pod boosted to Mig. Pod undocked itself at
> planet, but is still in orbit.

The first three make sense to me if the ships wer eover the base the pods
were launched at. Pods inherantly have their boosters on. I am assuming the
fourth ship was away from the planet the pod was launched from since you say
it boosted to it? Did you have the drop target set to the planet you wanted
the pod to land at for the fourth ship?

Regards,
Eric

> I have currant updates.
> Robert.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What did you try? Launching a pod on turn one? You need a pod launcher for
that. ;-)

"Lord Lancelot" <lordlancelot@Nospamthankyou.com> wrote in message
> Thanks a lot I have tried many time to do this in 1 turn and failed.
>
> This is very good news !
>
> Thanks
>
> Lord Lancelot
>
> > Untested idea: you used to be able to save a turn by launching the pod
> > set to dock with a hypership but boosted to the destination planet and
> > set to land there. It would arrive with thrusters off and form a base
> > immediately. This no longer works. - I wonder if you could do that by
> > setting the Mig's speed to 35? Must try that...
> >
> > Tested 4 migs with various speeds all with hype on. The pods were all
> > lauched in the same turn as the migs moved.
> >
> > Delta = 0 speed - pod docked with mig and landed at planet.
> > Omega = 90 speed - pod docked with Mig and landed at planet.
> > Sigma = 35 speed - pod docked with Mig and landed at the planet.
> > Tau = 0 speed - however, pod boosted to Mig. Pod undocked itself at
> > planet, but is still in orbit.
> >
> > I have currant updates.
> > Robert.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You mention in your update the figher soft spot. This is absolutely new news
to me, and enlightening. Where do you find out about it and can you point me
in the direction where I can find the stats for all of the races fighters?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> > Pods should *always* dock to a ship before it starts to move, so long as
> > that ship is over the base the pod was launched from. I recently tested
this
> > out, and there's a note in the Host Order of Events.
>
> Yes they should, but does not always happen.

Under what circumstances doesn't it happen? I must be doing something you
aren't as I've never had a pod not dock to a ship it was launched to
beforethe ship moved so long as that ship was over the planet the pod was
launched from at the start of movement. My experience is that pod launch
happens before movement, and even before wings are formed (a recent
discovery), which also happens before movement. If your tests ever show
otherwise please post specifics as some things are yet unclear in the Host
Order of Events.

Eric schrieb:
> You mention in your update the figher soft spot. This is absolutely new news
> to me, and enlightening. Where do you find out about it and can you point me
> in the direction where I can find the stats for all of the races fighters?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Look at the data if you click on one of yor wings and there the second
last point "exp sys" show the numbers of soft spots. So must ckeck it for
each race by make a wing if you play / sim them.
And some race designer show it with the stats at their site with the race.
It is not displayed at the Dazta Pad, raceview or other sources of infos
in V4 or raceview.
Maybe diplomat or other tools show it, don't know as I not use them.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

soxee schrieb:

>>Pods should *always* dock to a ship before it starts to move, so long as
>>that ship is over the base the pod was launched from. I recently tested this
>>out, and there's a note in the Host Order of Events.
>
> Yes they should, but does not always happen.

Normaly work fine for me, if I make no fault.
I know 5 possible reasons why it not happen, that are money, the loaded
material is not on the Base, RPs, no free Podbay (If I Think Right, it
will first tried to dock a Pod before the undocking of docked Pods happens
and so no bay maybe free) and that the ship is not over the Base maybe 1
LY away.
If a Pod not dock as it should nearly most times I can check / remember
the old turn I had one of the above reasons.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

soxee wrote:

>>I would say that there's a bug somewhere then. As that's an inconsistancy.
>>Possibly the result of left over code from when hyping was done before
>>movement.
>

> When I get time I will do more sims. However, in my two recent games as
> rebels I sometimes found the ship had moved before accepting a pod.

In games recently I've had pods not dock to ships that they were meant
to, with not good reason that I could see, all the settings were the
same as for ships that it did work on.

It could be a bug, or it could be a limitation of VB. I've had programs
not work properly because, as far as I could guess VB went on to process
the next instruction before finishing the current one. Most noticable in
for next loops. If you set a counter to run to say 10 then reset to 1
and try to get things to happen when the counter = 5 then most of the
time it won't process, you need to use counter > 5 to get it to work
regularly.

And in the related VBA, using a macro on a column of cells, which
performs a calculation then moves down one cell the macro only actually
works on about a third of the cells. That's using Excel 97 on an Athlon
1600, I presume that it would work correctly on a slower machine, but
never had the need to try it so I don't know.

The following still works for the current host, launch a pod with dock
target MIG-Shuttle, Drop Target target planet, boost target target planet.
The Pod will launch dock to the Mig to be dropped on the other Planet All in
the same turn, you can even build LC Planets in one turn.

1) Mig shuttle waypoint on any base, transfer troops down at bases at next
waypoint
2) launch pod with Prisoners to be dropped at base at next waypoint
(described above)
3) launch pod with MCs and supplies to be dropped on base at next waypoint
4) set target base to build LC althougt neither the MCs nor Supplies are
there yet.

Tata :)

Splitted

>Untested idea: you used to be able to save a turn by launching the pod set
>to dock with a hypership but boosted to the destination planet and set to
> >land there. It would arrive with thrusters off and form a base
>immediately. This no longer works. - I wonder if you could do that by
>setting the Mig's >speed to 35? Must try that...

"Lord Lancelot" <lordlancelot@Nospamthankyou.com> wrote in message
> Thanks a lot I have tried many time to do this in 1 turn and failed.
>
> This is very good news !
>
> Thanks
>
> Lord Lancelot
>
>> Untested idea: you used to be able to save a turn by launching the pod
>> set to dock with a hypership but boosted to the destination planet and
>> set to land there. It would arrive with thrusters off and form a base
>> immediately. This no longer works. - I wonder if you could do that by
>> setting the Mig's speed to 35? Must try that...
>>
>> Tested 4 migs with various speeds all with hype on. The pods were all
>> lauched in the same turn as the migs moved.
>>
>> Delta = 0 speed - pod docked with mig and landed at planet.
>> Omega = 90 speed - pod docked with Mig and landed at planet.
>> Sigma = 35 speed - pod docked with Mig and landed at the planet.
>> Tau = 0 speed - however, pod boosted to Mig. Pod undocked itself at
>> planet, but is still in orbit.
>>
>> I have currant updates.
>> Robert.

RedHerring

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2003

soxee wrote:
> Great guide. Found it to be very informative!
>
> You posed a couple of questions/therioes on it, which being motivated
> after reading the update guide decided to sim. Hope they help.
>
> (Rebels are immune to the Dark Sense? Not sure about that...)
>
> No they are not immune. Tested this with starting ships and HB's around
> EE base and ships. EE are able to see Fatso's weapons just as well as
> the other races.

Did you test to see if the EE can see pods or fighters docked to a ship?

Thanks for testing those things Soxee, I'll stick them in the guide

Azuremonster; I'm glad you like it. I felt you might need a hand
fighting against me - how smug is that? >8)

As for Rebels being immune to EE Darksense (weapons-sensing.) I can't
remember where I heard that. Maybe I just assumed it was true. Anyhow,
it seems it is not...

How did I learn about fighters' soft spot? Answer: it's a bit
complicated... Tim sent me some code to help with Diplomat. One thing in
it was the definition of fighter soft spots. Diplomat displays this in
the Add Wing screen, if you are interested in seeing it, but oddly
Raceview does not.
--
Paul Honigmann

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Thanks for testing those things Soxee, I'll stick them in the guide
>
> Azuremonster; I'm glad you like it. I felt you might need a hand
> fighting against me - how smug is that? >8)

I need to you update the Fed guide then, as that's who I'm playing against
you. :) I'm playing the EE in Sir Dave's Invitational. The EE guide is very
informative, and learning about the existance of fighter soft spots was the
most enlightening thing regarding this game I have read in a very long time.

Cheers,
Eric

>> Azuremonster; I'm glad you like it. I felt you might need a hand
>> fighting against me - how smug is that? >8)
>
>I need to you update the Fed guide then, as that's who I'm playing against
>you. :)

Yeah, right, I knew that... ahem... darned 20 player games, I can't keep
track of who's who! I wonder if any wars ever get started by accident
that way in big games. "Oops, I have attacked the wrong person..."
--
Paul Honigmann

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

20 players is alot, we'll just have to remove some players to make the game
more managable.