Sign in with
Your question

Some help designing a system to edit video

Last response: in Motherboards
February 16, 2012 3:08:25 PM

I'd like some help. My Gigabyte motherboard just died. I had come to the end of the road for software upgrades anyway. I'm designing a system pretty much from scratch, though I intend to reuse the case, burners and hard drives.

For the MOBO I plan on using a Gigabyte board. I5 or I7 processor. (Any thoughts?)
Minimum of 8 gigs of ram
750 watt PSU. My old one may still be good, but I'm not sure I trust it. After all, my mobo died. Not sure if the PSU had a problem and it took some drives with it since they stopped responding.
Video Card w/capture. 256 meg min. Direct X 10 or above
Windows 7 64 bit. Any thoughts as to version?
Heatsink, fan etc.

Two boards ago I had an Asus which never did work properly. My just dead mobo was a Gigabyte that worked great for 2 1/2 years. When it died it was not pretty, but at least there were no driver conflicts and everything worked from the beginning. My only regret was not running a backup on my RAID. It never occured to me that the controller portion of my MOBO would die. Always thought it would be the drives.

I'm trying to keep my cost below $ 1,000 for everything.

Goals:
Video capture for S-Video, Composite and Firewire.
VGA and DVI
HD and SD editing and rendering. I'm using Pinnacle Studio and plan to upgrade.
USB ports
SATA support for up to 6 drives.
RAID may be nice if only to try to recover some of my data. Drives currently won't boot. Not sure if it is part of the dying mobo issue or not.
Support for floppy and an IDE device would be nice.

I realize that I might have to buy add-on cards or usb devices for video capture. They need to be included in my budget. Model numbers on as much as possible would be great.

Thanks.

Specba
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2012 4:20:45 PM

specba said:
I'd like some help. My Gigabyte motherboard just died. I had come to the end of the road for software upgrades anyway. I'm designing a system pretty much from scratch, though I intend to reuse the case, burners and hard drives.

For the MOBO I plan on using a Gigabyte board. I5 or I7 processor. (Any thoughts?)
Minimum of 8 gigs of ram
750 watt PSU. My old one may still be good, but I'm not sure I trust it. After all, my mobo died. Not sure if the PSU had a problem and it took some drives with it since they stopped responding.
Video Card w/capture. 256 meg min. Direct X 10 or above
Windows 7 64 bit. Any thoughts as to version?
Heatsink, fan etc.

Two boards ago I had an Asus which never did work properly. My just dead mobo was a Gigabyte that worked great for 2 1/2 years. When it died it was not pretty, but at least there were no driver conflicts and everything worked from the beginning. My only regret was not running a backup on my RAID. It never occured to me that the controller portion of my MOBO would die. Always thought it would be the drives.

I'm trying to keep my cost below $ 1,000 for everything.

Goals:
Video capture for S-Video, Composite and Firewire.
VGA and DVI
HD and SD editing and rendering. I'm using Pinnacle Studio and plan to upgrade.
USB ports
SATA support for up to 6 drives.
RAID may be nice if only to try to recover some of my data. Drives currently won't boot. Not sure if it is part of the dying mobo issue or not.
Support for floppy and an IDE device would be nice.

I realize that I might have to buy add-on cards or usb devices for video capture. They need to be included in my budget. Model numbers on as much as possible would be great.

Thanks.

Specba

i7 2600K is capable for hyper threading, hyper threading is needed in video editing and stuff. So you don't like ASUS anymore? How about AsRock MOBO's? Go to Newegg.com there's a lot of Motherboards out there to choose from.
February 16, 2012 5:14:30 PM

Dear aqe040466,

Thank you for responding. I have already been to Newegg. Far too many motherboards to sift through, especially not knowing about the newest technologies. My last two Asus boards never worked properly. Both had driver issues that were never fully resolved. My Gigabyte had zero problems until 2 months ago.

My last video card was an ATI all in Wonder 1900. It was great in it's day, but I really need something that can support HD in Pinnacle Studio. Once again I'm facing a learning curve here. My last MOBO had Firewire built in. None of the new boards seem to have this. Directron sells a box/PCI card that will give me firewire on the front panel as well as USB 2.0 and SATA II. It would be nicer if it was already on the MOBO.

Composite/S-Video is another issue. The All-in-Wonder did that and more, but the newer cards don't seem to support video capture, let alone tuners. I was wondering if there is a video card out there that does it all for not a huge amount of money. The last All-in-Wonder was introduced 3 years ago. I'm not even sure if it is still available, or if it would be a good choice for HD editing.

I know members of this forum have been down this road more recently than I have. I'd rather ask for directions than make an expensive wrong turn.

Thanks again,
specba

Related resources
February 17, 2012 3:18:33 AM

I started my research. So far I've found the following as a departure point:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 RAM

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) - I know some say the i5 will do, but Pinnacle requires the i7 for HD.

ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC TOP/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video - Of all the items I'm least comfortable with the video card. Is there a better choice under $ 150?

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE PSU

Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder HD 9900-65201-00 - Capture device for S-video and composite

nMEDIAPC ZE-C98 All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader with USB/IEEE 1394/e-SATA Port/HD Audio Ports - Adds firewire

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

MSI DIGIVOX ATSC 8VSB/QAM Dongle DIGIVOX ATSC (Black) USB 2.0 Interface - Dongle allows capture of QAM video feeds.

Any mistakes? Better choices?

I plan to reuse:

Case
FAX/Modem (Yes, I still use it as a fax)
WD Black 1TB drives (3)
DVD and Blu Ray burners

Thanks,

specba

February 17, 2012 8:09:48 PM

Already I'm making some changes. Here is the most recent list:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s - This motherboard has Firewire on board.

Closer inspection of the card reader showed that the panel only brought connectors to the front for Firewire if it was already on the motherboard. I changed motherboards after finding one with Firewire.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 RAM

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) - I know some say the i5 will do, but Pinnacle requires the i7 for HD.

ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC TOP/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video - Of all the items I'm least comfortable with the video card. Is there a better choice under $ 150?

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE PSU

Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder HD 9900-65201-00 - Capture device for S-video and composite

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

MSI DIGIVOX ATSC 8VSB/QAM Dongle DIGIVOX ATSC (Black) USB 2.0 Interface - Dongle allows capture of QAM video feeds.

Has anyone had experience with any of these? Am I making good choices? I'd like to start buying these items soon.

Thanks

Specba
May 22, 2012 6:50:33 AM

if you do some easy editing for video, you can use imovie or windows movie maker etc free video editing software
!