Sign in with
Your question

How to use a tv card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2011 9:18:24 PM

I know it is possible to fit a television ariel to one of these tuner cards, is it possible to plug in a ps2, or a xbox to it, for me to play my ps2/xbox from the console through the computer on the computer monitor? On my tv card, i have the sockets; TV, S-Video ( i have an adaptor for the yellow video female plug), audio left and right. I just bought this PC recently i was wondering whether this would work. Thank you for your time.

More about : card

January 11, 2011 6:59:28 AM

vazza54 said:
I know it is possible to fit a television ariel to one of these tuner cards, is it possible to plug in a ps2, or a xbox to it, for me to play my ps2/xbox from the console through the computer on the computer monitor? On my tv card, i have the sockets; TV, S-Video ( i have an adaptor for the yellow video female plug), audio left and right. I just bought this PC recently i was wondering whether this would work. Thank you for your time.
S-Video is better than composite (the yellow connector) and yes, you can do that.
January 12, 2011 2:37:04 PM

Crashman said:
S-Video is better than composite (the yellow connector) and yes, you can do that.

How would you be able to play an xbox/ps2 on it then?
Related resources
January 12, 2011 6:57:39 PM

vazza54 said:
How would you be able to play an xbox/ps2 on it then?
These don't have S-Video outputs? Use Composite Video if you must, but expect the quality to drop from about 800x600 (blurry) to 640x480 (blurry).
a b x TV
January 12, 2011 7:04:21 PM

Yes, it should work with S-Video. You will need to start the "TV" viewing program you intend to use to view the xbox/ps2 output.

-Wolf sends
January 12, 2011 7:09:01 PM

oh, okay then, what about the sound then? Would that be in there as well?
January 12, 2011 7:40:54 PM

vazza54 said:
oh, okay then, what about the sound then? Would that be in there as well?
The Red and White connectors are for audio.
January 12, 2011 8:35:54 PM

Crashman said:
The Red and White connectors are for audio.

But when i go to the "TV" program associated with this (in my example, windows media center) it goes straight to the tv ariel input display. And the display for the ps2/xbox is not displayed. What do i do?
January 12, 2011 8:36:55 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Yes, it should work with S-Video. You will need to start the "TV" viewing program you intend to use to view the xbox/ps2 output.

-Wolf sends

But when i go to the "TV" program associated with this (in my example, windows media center) it goes straight to the tv ariel input display. And the display for the ps2/xbox is not displayed. What do i do?
January 12, 2011 8:59:16 PM

There is a simple enough solution for your problem. Use a TV cable to connect the PS2/XBox to the TV Tuner. If you want to keep both the TV signal cable and the console connected at the same time without having to keep going to the back of the computer to make the switch everytime you want or need to, you can buy an adapter that accepts two analogue signals, so you can plug the two at the same time.

Then you just have to tell Media Center to try and find more channels. Do this with the console ON. It will eventually find the frequency the console is transmitting and there you go!

I unboxed my ancient Amiga CD32 Console from 1993 and did just this. Worked like a charm! It also worked with an old VHS VCR and I managed to record to my PC an old tape I had, just as if I were recording a regular TV broadcast.

(these Amiga CD32's use solid capacitors in the motherboard, that's probably why it still works perfectly after all these years)

On the other hand, if you want to use the other inputs on the TV tuner card, you will probably have to use the TV viewing application the card came with, as that is probably a more customized solution to take advantage of your card's features; I doubt Media Center, which is more generic, can interface with those inputs (but I'm not sure).
January 12, 2011 9:19:33 PM

vazza54 said:
Windows Media Center should have additional settings that let you select "source", in this case the A/V input on S-Video or Composite.
a b x TV
January 12, 2011 11:19:22 PM

In Windows Media Center, you may need to set up and "scan" for a secondary tuner. Connect your xbox/ps2 to the CPU's TV Tuner Card via the S-Video cable and power it up. Start Windows Media Center --> Task --> Settings. All this assumes your TV Tuner card does have multiple tuners.

-Wolf sends
January 14, 2011 2:46:25 PM

Wolfshadw said:
In Windows Media Center, you may need to set up and "scan" for a secondary tuner. Connect your xbox/ps2 to the CPU's TV Tuner Card via the S-Video cable and power it up. Start Windows Media Center --> Task --> Settings. All this assumes your TV Tuner card does have multiple tuners.

-Wolf sends

Is there any other alternatives of software of viewing through your tv card than windows media center, because i can't seem to get it to work...
January 14, 2011 2:46:44 PM

tpi2007 said:
There is a simple enough solution for your problem. Use a TV cable to connect the PS2/XBox to the TV Tuner. If you want to keep both the TV signal cable and the console connected at the same time without having to keep going to the back of the computer to make the switch everytime you want or need to, you can buy an adapter that accepts two analogue signals, so you can plug the two at the same time.

Then you just have to tell Media Center to try and find more channels. Do this with the console ON. It will eventually find the frequency the console is transmitting and there you go!

I unboxed my ancient Amiga CD32 Console from 1993 and did just this. Worked like a charm! It also worked with an old VHS VCR and I managed to record to my PC an old tape I had, just as if I were recording a regular TV broadcast.

(these Amiga CD32's use solid capacitors in the motherboard, that's probably why it still works perfectly after all these years)

On the other hand, if you want to use the other inputs on the TV tuner card, you will probably have to use the TV viewing application the card came with, as that is probably a more customized solution to take advantage of your card's features; I doubt Media Center, which is more generic, can interface with those inputs (but I'm not sure).

Is there any other alternatives of software of viewing through your tv card than windows media center, because i can't seem to get it to work...
a b x TV
January 14, 2011 4:47:58 PM

The TV Tuner Card should have come with it's own software. It should be on the CD you received with your card or it should be downloadable from the manufacturer's web site.

-Wolf Sends
January 20, 2011 4:12:49 PM

Wolfshadw said:
The TV Tuner Card should have come with it's own software. It should be on the CD you received with your card or it should be downloadable from the manufacturer's web site.

-Wolf Sends

How do i find out who made my tv card?
!