BF 2 low FPS 6870?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i bought a 6870 and i was going to try and do an eyefinity setup for Battlefield 2.So i wanted to see what my FPS was with 1 screen and it turns out it's maxing out at around 90.I would think it should be around the 150's-200.Can anyone explain why it is so low?

Solution
its just a 6870 bud, divide that by 3 (just a rough estimate - its not going to really be that way) and its still playable - i know its an older game, but cpu utilization due to bots in single play can effect performance, especially if you are using more than vanilla bf2 grab a second or a 6850 for cf and youll see mid to high 100s

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
its just a 6870 bud, divide that by 3 (just a rough estimate - its not going to really be that way) and its still playable - i know its an older game, but cpu utilization due to bots in single play can effect performance, especially if you are using more than vanilla bf2 grab a second or a 6850 for cf and youll see mid to high 100s

Solution

sharpbrick

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
what is your resolution? i play badco2 maxed at around 70fps at 1280x1024 and on medium settings i can run 3840x1024 at around 60fps... it is however playable on high at the resolution however it is running more like 25 - 30 fps

EDIT: whoops i just saw that you are talking about battle field 2 not badco2... i dont know if what i said still goes... i think they both run on the same game engine however <-- not right

sharpbrick

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

ya that is odd... im thinking that it does not know how to use the card to its fullest. an odd reference but with halo CE i know that my gpu could run many instances of it with out slowing down however with older cards that halo knows about (like my radion 9600) it has many more options with gpu acceleration than with the 6870 which some of those options are grayed out

sharpbrick

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
ya that my be it however you would think that it would at least support a duel core.

as far as the 2nd screen try going into CCC and one of the tabs in monitors has a force detection button. try that however im not very good with screens so that is all i can say.... i have never had any probs with them and if i do i always restart and it fixes it...

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
its just that way sometimes, probably due to the limitations of the engine
eg. take a look at my rig, and then pull your hair out because of the choppiness of running the game carmageddon 3 from 2001 - its mostly smooth, but theres moments of insanity where the fps dips for no reason...

sharpbricks got about all the advice you need to get that second monitor running, you can always search for the driver for the monitor, but i doubt it'll be floating out on the net to be easily found (though this most likely wont fix your problem)
if your trying to run the mini dp connection, theres the whole active v passive fiasco you can google...

good luck with your setup!

sharpbrick

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

ya it is i would love to be able to run one nice screen in the middle with 2 cheaper ones on the sides or some thing like that but all the screens have to be the same res :(

...people are complaining about 90 FPS now?

Do you have 120Hz moniters? If not, you aren't seeing more then the 60 FPS the moniter can physically display, so I fail to see the problem here...

And keep in mind, BF2 has some HUGE maps compared to CoD, so its not shocking that FPS is lower despite being an older game, especially if draw distance is set to 100 and a high AF is selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.