Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on maximizing my dollar for a system upgrade

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2011 6:13:18 PM

As the thread title suggested, I am currently in the middle of deciding how best to upgrade my current system, which is the following

Phenom II X4 940 BE
4 GB DDR2 800 RAM

Sadly, that is it so far. my powersupply shorted out a while ago and my spare one doesnt even have enough power to push my 7900GS. As such, I am buying a new power supply, video card, and some more RAM.

I need some advice on the buying the RAM. I wanted to grab a 4 GB stick of DDR2 800 b/c I only have one more slot left on my motherboard. However, this costs about $60-70. I see that if I bought 8 GB of DDR2 1066 I would spend about $80 bucks. Am I totally getting ripped off here by going for the 4 GB DDR2? Is the performance increase with DDR2 1066 worth it? My motherboard supports up to DDR2 1200, which newegg doesnt seem to carry.

I was gonna purchase a radeon 5850 and an antec 650W PS. Part of me wants to wait for bulldozer or a new sandy bridge, but I still feel like the Phenom II X4 940 is a fast cpu for gaming.
March 15, 2011 6:43:36 PM

Is there a reason you need 8GB of RAM? Most people don't use more than 4GB of RAM unless doing some specific things.

You may be better off saving the money and waiting...just get your system functional for now. You can reuse the PSU, so I'd get a quality one, but I'd hold off until you can get something you want/need.
m
l
March 16, 2011 3:27:28 PM

I know 8 GB of RAM is a luxury, but I use my computer for video editing and video games. The line between "want" and "need" can be a thin one. I just want each one of my cores to have enough breathing room, and 4 GBs is the minimum for the system to function.
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2011 4:01:42 PM

So what setup do you currently have on the RAM ?? 2x1GB and a 1x2GB. leaving 1 empty slot ? -- If so then best option would be another 1x2GB. module to match the one you have and get the system back to using dual channel mode (using dual channel mode with 6 GB. would give you better overall performance than 8 GB. in single channel mode and 6 GB. is plenty.
m
l
March 16, 2011 4:07:37 PM

I have four slots total, with 2x1 GB and 1x2 GB sticks arranged. 6 GB is certainly much easier on the wallet (around $30). thank for the tip, I completely overlooked dual channel mode
m
l
!