Sign in with
Your question

DIY First Timer needs help choosing mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
February 16, 2012 5:37:04 PM

I really need help selecting a 1155 mobo for my first build. If you're willing to help for funzeez, I would really appreciate it.
Here are my motherboard hopes, dreams, wants, and/or needs...

Mission Objectives:
Reputable Brand- ASRock, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte
Budget- $50-$70 hoping to spend as little as possible
Form- 1155 mATX or ATX
Enough PCI slots for my Radeon 6850 and a PCI wireless card

Secondary Questions:
1) I've read that most GPUs take up a ton of space. Even if I find a mobo that has another PCI lane for my wireless adapter, will I be able to access it?
2) What kind of PCI lane do I need for the wireless card anyway?

More Info:
I thought I had most everything figured out, but I apparently need help choosing a mobo since my first choice was the ASRock H61M-VS, but it won't support both my GPU and PCI wireless card.

Mobo
ASRock H61M-VS
Wireless Card
Rosewill RNX-G300EX Wireless Card
GPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
February 16, 2012 9:14:33 PM

Thanks! I thought I had to have another PCIe x16, but all I needed was the plain PCI slot?
Related resources
February 17, 2012 2:03:10 AM

ya only graphic card, raid card or pci-e ssd use the pci-e slot, wireless itz juz plain pci

but as for asrock, thatz the lower line of asus, if anything, i ll stick w/ asus, gigabyte or msi, but since u need a budget mb, then i guess u haf no choice but go w/ asrock
February 17, 2012 3:46:15 AM

That Intel board would obviously take care of everything I need, but there's an ASRock mobo that brings hdmi to the table at essentially the same price.

ASRock H61M-U3S3

Intel DH61CR

When it's all said and done the ASRock with hdmi, usb 3.0, and SATA 6gbs sounds too good to be true coming at the same price. But should I have better peace of mind with the Intel DH61CR? Intel is a big name, but I am unsure how their boards have been received since few people seem to recommend them. I don't mean to offend, but I've cruised through Tom's Hardware a fair amount the last 6 months and rarely see an Intel mobo suggested for a build.

That said, I see the ASRock mobo I listed is made out of a black or darker board. Having handled and assembled electronic components for a summer job the ASRock board strikes me as probably made from a cheaper substance than the common green found with the Intel and other component boards. Any insight? Is this a misconception? I am crazy outdated since the last desktop I had was in 2001 and it was a dinosaur running with Windows 95.
!