Is SATA 6 GB/s ready for prime time?

I'm building a new system based on Intel Core I5-2500K and the Asus P8P67 Pro MB.
I purchased a Western Digital WD10EALX hard drive that was on sale. This drive is rated SATA 6.0 MB/s. However I've since rad some rather negative reviews. On the other hand I've heard very good things about the Samsung Spinpoint F3 HS103SJ which is rated 3.0 GB/s. I'm considering exchanging the WD for the Samsung.

Are the 6.0 GB/s rated drives really faster, or is this a technology that isn't there yet?
7 answers Last reply
More about sata ready prime time
  1. SATA 3.0 (6 Gbits) is a stable technology is faster than the older SATA 2.0 standard. While you may find a product that isn’t good overall there are no problems with the technology. I have a Western Digital SATA 3 drive on my work system here and I have had no problems at all.

    Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  2. So SATA 6.0 GB/s better in reality than SATA 3.0 GB/s ?
    Can a SATA 6.0 work twice as fast as a 3.0?
  3. Pointless if you are talking traditional mechanical hdds - awesome for SATA 6GB/s SSDs
  4. batuchka said:
    Pointless if you are talking traditional mechanical hdds - awesome for SATA 6GB/s SSDs


    Are 6GB/s hdds only manufactured for compatibility with MBs lacking the older 3GB/s ports?
  5. Meganano said:
    Are 6GB/s hdds only manufactured for compatibility with MBs lacking the older 3GB/s ports?

    No, because the respective SATA specs are backwards compatible; you can plug a SATA 6Gbps cable into a SATA 3Gbps port and just get SATA 3Gbps speeds, so that is not the reason companies are producing harddrives with the 6Gbps interface. Mostly I think it is a marketing/selling point, which the educated don't fall for.
  6. Silvune said:
    No, because the respective SATA specs are backwards compatible; you can plug a SATA 6Gbps cable into a SATA 3Gbps port and just get SATA 3Gbps speeds, so that is not the reason companies are producing harddrives with the 6Gbps interface. Mostly I think it is a marketing/selling point, which the educated don't fall for.


    That's the first theory I've heard that makes any sense.

    Can we get some input from somebody in the hd industry?
  7. You can fish reviews of SATA 6GB/s hdd and ssds
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Western Digital SATA Systems