Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I'm building a new system based on Intel Core I5-2500K and the Asus P8P67 Pro MB.
I purchased a Western Digital WD10EALX hard drive that was on sale. This drive is rated SATA 6.0 MB/s. However I've since rad some rather negative reviews. On the other hand I've heard very good things about the Samsung Spinpoint F3 HS103SJ which is rated 3.0 GB/s. I'm considering exchanging the WD for the Samsung.

Are the 6.0 GB/s rated drives really faster, or is this a technology that isn't there yet?

SATA 3.0 (6 Gbits) is a stable technology is faster than the older SATA 2.0 standard. While you may find a product that isn’t good overall there are no problems with the technology. I have a Western Digital SATA 3 drive on my work system here and I have had no problems at all.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Are 6GB/s hdds only manufactured for compatibility with MBs lacking the older 3GB/s ports?

No, because the respective SATA specs are backwards compatible; you can plug a SATA 6Gbps cable into a SATA 3Gbps port and just get SATA 3Gbps speeds, so that is not the reason companies are producing harddrives with the 6Gbps interface. Mostly I think it is a marketing/selling point, which the educated don't fall for.

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

That's the first theory I've heard that makes any sense.

Can we get some input from somebody in the hd industry?