Solved

What is happening to my PC!?

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2011 8:40:07 PM

Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920
EVGA GTX 480 Superclocked
6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1600MHz

Two days ago i played Crysis all maxed out at 1680x1050, with 30-60fps. Today i played Crysis same settings with 15-30fps i was in the same area in the game as i was before and everything. I tried GTAIV which i normally get 65+ fps, and today i was getting 30-50fps, and same for Liberty City Stories. I'm already depressed i cant max out Crysis anyway and thought about spending an unnecessary $700, for some upgrades. Im going crazy here i DO NOT know what is going on. I'm running the latest drivers for my GPU, i'm running the latest DX. Any advice.

Thanks.

More about : happening

a b B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2011 3:01:30 PM

What's your hard drive?
m
l
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2011 3:10:27 PM

Have you checked your CPU and GPU temps?
Were there any driver ugrades that Windows might have grabbed in an upgrade in the last 48hrs?
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2011 7:36:25 PM

WR2 said:
Have you checked your CPU and GPU temps?
Were there any driver ugrades that Windows might have grabbed in an upgrade in the last 48hrs?

Im not entirely sure on how to check the temps of those.

I am running the latest driver for my GPU, i havnt upgraded anything yet.
m
l
March 17, 2011 7:38:06 PM

masterasia said:
What's your hard drive?

I have a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB.
m
l
March 17, 2011 7:57:00 PM

Check the temps on the GPU with CCC Overdrive Utility...The CPU temp can be monitored with coretemp
m
l
March 17, 2011 7:58:19 PM

Also you can run HD Tune to see if your HDD is having trouble with transfering data
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2011 9:01:35 PM

lowjack989 said:
Check the temps on the GPU with CCC Overdrive Utility...The CPU temp can be monitored with coretemp

Ummm, lowjack, hes running a GTX 480...I dont think CCC will do him alot of good there.......just sayin'
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 17, 2011 9:05:21 PM

What case are you in?? How many fans in it?? Does sound like an overheating issue...check your CPU fan while your at it, have you cleaned out the dust lately??

Your first post leaves alot to the imagination!
BTW...what OS is on it...some windows update could be bogging it.....or your AV may have been running during that session! Just alot it could be!
m
l
March 17, 2011 10:03:21 PM

Deadstick50 said:
What case are you in?? How many fans in it?? Does sound like an overheating issue...check your CPU fan while your at it, have you cleaned out the dust lately??

Your first post leaves alot to the imagination!
BTW...what OS is on it...some windows update could be bogging it.....or your AV may have been running during that session! Just alot it could be!

Im using a Antec 900 case and im running windows 7 home premium, it has 5 fans in it, 4 120mm fans, and a 200mm on the top. I actually just dusted it 2 days ago with compressed air. And i am doing windows updates right now as i type this
m
l
March 17, 2011 10:42:52 PM

ASUS Fan Xpert should let you look at your system temps.
Start it up and do some testing at idle and full loads (like in a game).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 18, 2011 12:48:18 AM

Well, not a heat issue then........AV kicking in or some other scheduled event that happened during your gaming??

Have you tryed gaming since you posted the first comment about it on here? Im thinking not hardware related, but either what I just talked about ...or some update that came in from MS changed some primary setting.

Maybe try doing a restore to a point just before the problem showed up?
m
l
March 18, 2011 12:50:45 AM

It could be a heat issue if there's a problem with the CPU cooler after the cleaning.
m
l
March 18, 2011 12:58:06 AM

Well I run avg free, and it doesn't go automatically. I did run my auto updates and I uptated my service pack. I played crysis and it improved 2 maybe 3 frames. Gta is still the same. I should be getting 70+fps and I'm only averaging around 35-45. My IT friend is comin over tomorrow to see what's up, he knows something is wrong by what I'm tellin you guys. He said I might have an undetected virus. But again I'm not sure how I would. I may have to restore. Also what do you guys recommend for a CPU cooler? I'm thinking about the coolermaster v8.
m
l
March 18, 2011 1:00:21 AM

CM V8 isn't bad but you can get better for a lot less. The CM Hyper 212+ is one example.

Have you checked your temps yet with Asus Fan Xpert?
m
l
March 18, 2011 11:48:52 AM

WR2 said:
CM V8 isn't bad but you can get better for a lot less. The CM Hyper 212+ is one example.

Have you checked your temps yet with Asus Fan Xpert?

Is this what your looking for?

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2368/14322357.png

I just downloaded this software, so i didnt really know what i was doing. Let me know what to do and ill upload another pic.
m
l
March 18, 2011 12:23:08 PM

Deadstick50 said:
Ummm, lowjack, hes running a GTX 480...I dont think CCC will do him alot of good there.......just sayin'

Sorry I got the threads mixed up I didn't read it properly, sorry bout that.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 19, 2011 3:14:17 AM

I think coretemp will do what you need....Im using it on my Athlon II without problems.

Meanwhile Im still not convinced its a temp issue.
m
l
March 19, 2011 4:07:03 AM

Thanks guys for all of your responses. My friend came over and fixed everything!!! Im back up to 70+ FPS in GTA, and im doing pretty good in Crysis. Not exactly sure what the problem was. He just did his magic.
m
l
March 19, 2011 4:30:23 AM

That's good news.
Talk to him and find out what that magic was and let us know about it.
You're probably not the last to wander in here with the same issue.
m
l
March 19, 2011 5:27:46 AM

1. Update drivers for every single hardware that requires them
2. Make sure DirectX is updated
3. Update the bios if necessary
4. Uninstall useless programs
5. Open MSConig uncheck unused programs in startup
6. Perform a windows disk cleanup
7. In the power options change the power plan to high performance/in hard disk options change time to to at least 360
(Reason being, the hard disk turns off when not necessary)
8. Disable useless programs in the task bar
9. Perform Defrag on all hard disks
10. Restart and see if it helps

Typed this directly from him.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 19, 2011 4:11:48 PM

That great advice, and unfortunately I figured you had known to do those things before we started the troubleshooting, or I would have mentioned them!

Glad your friend sorted it for you.... GAME ON!!!
m
l
March 19, 2011 4:19:14 PM

Deadstick50 said:
That great advice, and unfortunately I figured you had known to do those things before we started the troubleshooting, or I would have mentioned them!

Glad your friend sorted it for you.... GAME ON!!!

Yeah i basically did all those by myself from the beginning, But a few i didnt even think of doing, like changing the time of the HDD, and MSConfig, and the Mobo bios. He told me that if attempted to change the bios myself he would ban me from my own PC. My tech skills are about 7/10, his is about 20/10.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 19, 2011 4:48:12 PM

Sometimes it can be an odd little item that can bog out the whole deal....my advice would be to set yourself up a checklist of these things (other than the bios, wouldnt want you banned) And the next time (theres always a next time) you will have the main troubleshooting areas covered!

Dead
March 29, 2011 9:50:22 PM

Best answer selected by xMyazXtr3me.
m
l
!