hard drive password spontaneously turning on...

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 10, 2005 5:06:48 AM

I have an Acer Travelmate C100, which is a complete piece of POS, but
this POS is my computer and I need to be able to get into it.

I have never set a password for the harddrive in the 2 years I've owned
it.

It was in standby mode, I turned it on and then picked it up while it
was waking up, but I don't know if I hit something or what, it started
asking for a password to access the hard drive.

The problem is there is no password. I've tried everything I can think
of (and a few swear words just for fun). I even put the card with the
smart chip in thinking that would help. Nada. Tried removing the
battery, tried resetting the defaults.

I wrote (and left a message with Acer) and expect an answer between now
and never.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to get rid of this password or
better yet, what's the backdoor password??

Regards,
Millady
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2005 8:08:06 PM

Based on what we know about hard drive passwords, you are screwed, there
is no way around this situation.

millady@gmail.com wrote:

> I have an Acer Travelmate C100, which is a complete piece of POS, but
> this POS is my computer and I need to be able to get into it.
>
> I have never set a password for the harddrive in the 2 years I've owned
> it.
>
> It was in standby mode, I turned it on and then picked it up while it
> was waking up, but I don't know if I hit something or what, it started
> asking for a password to access the hard drive.
>
> The problem is there is no password. I've tried everything I can think
> of (and a few swear words just for fun). I even put the card with the
> smart chip in thinking that would help. Nada. Tried removing the
> battery, tried resetting the defaults.
>
> I wrote (and left a message with Acer) and expect an answer between now
> and never.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions on how to get rid of this password or
> better yet, what's the backdoor password??
>
> Regards,
> Millady

April 28, 2005 8:32:02 AM