why a lack of swivel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

....lcd screens?
seems like there are only 2 or 3 models of digital P&S
that have LCD screens that you can turn.
all video cameras seem to have them.
DSLR do not.
is this a popular feature?

Darrell

"Mr.Bolshoyhuy" <bolshoyhuy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ...lcd screens?
> seems like there are only 2 or 3 models of digital P&S
> that have LCD screens that you can turn.
> all video cameras seem to have them.
> DSLR do not.
> is this a popular feature?

There is no live preview on a dSLR, so a swivel screen wouldn't work.

<bolshoyhuy@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >...lcd screens?
> >seems like there are only 2 or 3 models of digital P&S
> >that have LCD screens that you can turn.
> >all video cameras seem to have them.
> >DSLR do not.
> >is this a popular feature?
>
> It's an awesome feature; I wouldn't want a DigiCam without it.

Whats so great about it? Ok, so with swivel you can take your own pics.
How often do you do that? And even if you took your own photographs a
lot, you can only do that from an arm's length since you are holding
it.

- Siddhartha

wrote:

>...lcd screens?
>seems like there are only 2 or 3 models of digital P&S
>that have LCD screens that you can turn.
>all video cameras seem to have them.
>DSLR do not.
>is this a popular feature?

It's an awesome feature; I wouldn't want a DigiCam without it.

"Mr.Bolshoyhuy" <bolshoyhuy@hotmail.com> wrote in

> ...lcd screens?
> seems like there are only 2 or 3 models of digital P&S
> that have LCD screens that you can turn.
> all video cameras seem to have them.
> DSLR do not.

Yes, of course. Different optical system. The sensor does not have light
falling on it until you pull the trigger and the mirror/prism moves.

> is this a popular feature?

Very. And very useful. I'd love for some genius to come up with a hybrid.

Mr.Bolshoyhuy wrote:

> ...lcd screens?
> seems like there are only 2 or 3 models of digital P&S
> that have LCD screens that you can turn.
> all video cameras seem to have them.
> DSLR do not.
> is this a popular feature?

Sure, but it also costs more to design and manufacture, and it gives one
more place for something to break or go wrong.

Mr.Bolshoyhuy wrote:

> ...lcd screens?
> seems like there are only 2 or 3 models of digital P&S
> that have LCD screens that you can turn.
> all video cameras seem to have them.
> DSLR do not.
> is this a popular feature?

I had a camera with a swivel LCD (Canon Pro90IS)..

It was a great feature. I recall the many times I shot over
the heads of things like crowds and tall fences by holding the
camera an arms length over my head and pointing through the LCD
which was pointed down.

Dandy feature. I don't know why it isn't more popular.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:01:50 -0600, Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:

>Mr.Bolshoyhuy wrote:
>
>> ...lcd screens?
>> seems like there are only 2 or 3 models of digital P&S
>> that have LCD screens that you can turn.
>> all video cameras seem to have them.
>> DSLR do not.
>> is this a popular feature?
>

>I had a camera with a swivel LCD (Canon Pro90IS)..
>
>It was a great feature. I recall the many times I shot over
>the heads of things like crowds and tall fences by holding the
>camera an arms length over my head and pointing through the LCD
>which was pointed down.
>
>Dandy feature. I don't know why it isn't more popular.

I agree. I had one on one of the Canon, there is another
alternative, clumsy one and that is to use the video out
to a small (or big for that matter) LCD monitor.

On 10 Feb 2005 01:22:19 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Siddhartha Jain"
<losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Whats so great about it? Ok, so with swivel you can take your own pics.
>How often do you do that? And even if you took your own photographs a
>lot, you can only do that from an arm's length since you are holding
>it.

Depends on your needs. If you don't need to take shots where this is an
advantage, then you'll never understand. Same for cameras with swivel
heads, like the Nikon 950/990/995/4500. In fact I have specific times when
the close spacing of the flash to the lens in the swivel head of the 990
allows me to take shots of the internals of equipment and test articles at
work I can't get with either my 5700 or D70.

Everyone's needs are unique.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

> Whats so great about it? Ok, so with swivel you can take your own pics.
> How often do you do that? And even if you took your own photographs a
> lot, you can only do that from an arm's length since you are holding
> it.
> - Siddhartha
I shoot as often as not from a position other than eye or chest level. Tilt
AND swivel allows using the LCD to compose without going into prone position
when shooting pets playing on the floor, or kids, or flowers in the yard or
..... Going the other direction, in a crowd, you can hold camera over your
head while composing pic on LCD. My first real camera was a Rolleiflex, so
I grew up with a non eye level camera.

I also shoot as often vertically as horizontally, so can't understand why
some manufacturers have LCD's that only tilt - not tilt and swivel.

ds