Build me a PC!

Hello Tomshardware forums! Brand new to the forums, lookign for some help.

I'm trying to get pieces together to build a PC for audio recording/production. I'm completely new to building PC's, budget is about $1k, I mainly need help determining if there are any 'conflicts' with some of the pieces i've got detailed here.

I want this thing to scream, as it will have heavy sample use, plugin use, etc..! I have Win7 Ultimate (64bit) and I'll probably use Reaper for recording.

$300 Intel i7-2600 3.4Ghz

Harddrive (SSD primarily for OS only) I have 4 1TB WD drives for storing/backingup my projects:
$229 Intel X25-M:

RAM: (8GB):
$84 G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB:

$90 Corsair CMPSU 550W:

$30 Cooler Master Hyper 212

Need some help here, how about this one:

some of these things are out of stock, but total price $870 without case or DVD for what seems to be a pretty kick ass system. I will most likely need some USB/Firewire expansion cards in the future and a DVD/CD burner.

The audio chipset on the motherboard is a Realtek, anyone familiar with DAW's that could comment on the impacts to recording/output to studio monitors? I'll most likely use a M-audio or MBOX audio interface with firewire.

Are there any other incompatibility issues that people can see, I would love to get this thing ordered up!!!
Thanks in advance for your help!
5 answers Last reply
More about build
  1. You should be able to get a Corsair or equivalent (Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone, XFX) 550W for $65 or so.

Consider this:
    $65 ($50 AR) Antec 550W
    $65 Antec 650W
  2. If you're gonna get a P67 (overclocking) motherboard, you may as well get an i7-2600K. It may cost you an extra $30, but you can expect more than a 35% performance gain when you decide to overclock (which is simple with a "K" series).

Also, if you get a P67 motherboard, you'll need some sort of video card, even a lousy $40 one should meet your needs if you don't play games. I'd recommend a Radeon 5670 for $65 or so though.

If you don't want to buy a video card, an H67 motherboard can utilize the i7-2600's integrated Intel HD 2000 graphics--which are almost as good as a Radeon 5550 or GeForce GT 240.

EDIT: Just so you know, you might want to wait until Z68 comes out. It's what P67 should've been.
  3. Thanks for the advice, I'm not very familiar with overclocking, would that really be necessaryw ith all the fire power this processor has? i.e. when would I want to overclock?

A video card actually wouldn't be a bad idea, I'd love to be able to do some video editing with Adobe Premier (when I get around to learning it)...I'll check the Radeon 5670.
  4. If you get a Z68 motherboard (comes out in a couple weeks), you can use the integrated HD 3000 graphics on "K" series Sandy Bridge AND overclock. The Radeon 5670 provides everything the occasional gamer needs--including solid 1680x1050 performance in all games.

Is overclocking necessary? Is a new computer necessary? No, but it will provide a significant performance boost. What would take you 4 seconds will take you 3 seconds. My i7-930 is awesome at 2.8GHz. But I run it at 3.8GHz because it's 1/3 more awesome that way.
  5. Since peeps been waiting this long for the top end i suggest for healthier/fatter budgets to
    1. Await Z68 chipsets, Zambezi AM3+ on platform front
    2. Await HD 6990/GTX 590 on the GPU front and price revisions trickle down lower down the foodchain (irrlevant in your case since DAW not GPU intensive)
    3. Await the Sandforce SATA 6GB/s SSDs to hit retailers :P

Leaked: FAH score of a 4 way Interlagos Bulldozer

Intel Z68 Express Chipset Preview,2888.html
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product