Memory and bus freq

I have a dell inspiron 1420 duo 2 core T5450. It has a front bus freq 667 MHz and an external bus freq of 667 MHz and 800 MHz. Is it better to buy 667 MHz memory or 800 MHz? Can the laptop actually take advantage of the 800 MHz?

Thanks for any help.
3 answers Last reply
More about memory freq
  1. The bus frequency and memory frequency are two different things. The manual is specific in saying that the memory frequency supported is 667 MHz, so I'd stick with that, as faster memory might not work properly.
  2. abekl said:
    The bus frequency and memory frequency are two different things. The manual is specific in saying that the memory frequency supported is 667 MHz, so I'd stick with that, as faster memory might not work properly.

Dell recommends 800MHz PC2-6400 but I don't understand why
  3. abekl said:
    The bus frequency and memory frequency are two different things. The manual is specific in saying that the memory frequency supported is 667 MHz, so I'd stick with that, as faster memory might not work properly.

The Dell website shows the 800 MHz memory as the first option for upgrading but it is more expensive than the 667 MHz memory. If it doesn't improve the laptop performance I see no reason to pay extra but I want to be sure.

Thanks for any help.

Judy
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Dell Inspiron Bus