Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Performance
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
January 11, 2011 3:57:46 AM

Hello.
I just bought a new 5850. I installed the latest driver and CCC package from ATI's website, rebooted as necessary, but realized that CCC didn't start up, even though I tried numerous times to open it.
I also tested out the performance, and found that it was at about the same level as my 4650 that I upgraded from. That's not right.

I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on these problems. Thanks in advance.

More about : ati 5850 poor performance ccc glitches

a c 170 U Graphics card
January 11, 2011 6:30:43 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
Did you do a clean install of the latest driver ? if you don't,then here's how to do it
1_Download and install "Driver sweeper" from Guru3d.com and install
2_Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the driver and reboot
3_Boot to safe mode and open driver sweeper,then click on "ATI" and then click on clean
4_Reboot and boot normally to windows and install the new drivers after that you need to restart,and its done

Let us know if it helped or not.
Also please post your full system specs along with the resolution you play at.
m
l
a c 128 U Graphics card
January 11, 2011 5:16:29 PM

careful not to delete mother board drivers. but you shouldn't need to use those uninstall programs most of the time.

did you go to "start/all programs/catal.cntl.cntr/CCC ? if it's not there you didn't install right.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 11, 2011 7:17:41 PM

Alright. I installed clean, and now CCC works, but I still get very low fps (eg 20fps on BFBC2), which is equivalent to the gpu i upgraded from.
Any ideas?
My specs are:
AMD Phenom X3 2.3ghz 8650
3gb DDR2 RAM
Cooler Master 550W PSU
ATI 5850 1GB

I know my CPU isn't great, but I should be getting better performance.
m
l
a c 75 U Graphics card
January 11, 2011 7:22:11 PM

What resolution?

Also, the ATI 5850 will use DX11, where as the 4650 did not. So games may autodetect the DX11 capability and activate it for you. So that would reduce your over all "FPS". I think BC2 by default autodetects the DX mode you're card is capable of.

Course if you're using Windows XP you can't use DX10 or DX11 so that wouldn't apply there.

Also, though your CPU is certainly capable of playing games, BC2 in particular LOVES having a quad core CPU. And of course the higher the CPU clock speed the better. Yours is running @ the stock 2.3Ghz it looks like, which honestly isn't superb. And overclock of your CPU (assuming you have or get a good aftermarket cooler) would probably help with any game you play. Especially since this is a first generation Phenom chip. :( 

Try playing with graphic settings. Reduce them, check your FPS. Upgrade graphic settings, check your FPS. If you generally see little to no change in FPS then you may have a CPU related bottleneck/limitation in BC2.
m
l
a c 128 U Graphics card
January 11, 2011 7:30:08 PM

Even an over clock won't help that processor much. these weren't really any better than the 939's they replaced. An extra core or two, so what.

You say 3gig of memory. Not running in dual channel mode may have an effect. So would running odd modules.
m
l
January 11, 2011 7:39:00 PM

I'm only running 1366x768 resolution as that is all my monitor is capable of. I'm currently waiting on someone from the bios mods forum to unlock the overclocking options so I can alter my CPU speeds.

I've noticed some oddity in CS:S. If I run it with anti aliasing on, it seems to get better fps than with it off. Also, it's not a very CPU dependent game, so I should be getting better FPS than what I am, correct?
m
l

Best solution

a c 75 U Graphics card
January 11, 2011 7:43:37 PM

Sounds like you're CPU is your limitation / bottleneck. When turning graphic settings up makes things run better, that's a pretty sure sign. Especially if you're getting such poor performance at such a low resolution. 1366x768 is tiny compared to what the ATI 5850 is capable of. That video card can play @ 1920x1080 (1080p).

Hate sounding like the bearer of bad news, but the ATI 5850 @ your current resolution, with your current CPU, is probably a waste of money. You either need a newer/better CPU or a higher resolution monitor to get your money's worth out of that video card. Quite frankly though, you probably need both to truly harness the video card's abilities.

EDIT: By the way, are you using a 1080i TV as a monitor? 1366x768 is a typical 1080i TV display resolution.
January 11, 2011 7:52:12 PM

Nope, it's a 19 inch monitor.
I thought that the CPU would be capable at this current resolution, that's why I got such a good GPU.
Would it help a lot if I was able to overclock it to 3GHz? Also, I might look into safely unlocking the 4th core.

I know it's possible with source games to add -dxlevel XX into the launch options, would it work with BFBC2? I don't mind playing on DX10.
m
l
a c 75 U Graphics card
January 11, 2011 7:58:06 PM

If you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then it (BC2)will already use DX10 with the ATI 5850. Other games you can change the DirectX version from the graphic settings in the game itself. No need for special command lines.

Your CPU doesn't limit the resolution you can play. However, it DOES limit the amount of data your video card receives. If your CPU isn't fast enough to feed the 5850, then your video card will "appear slow" because it's waiting for info.

You can probably open a game and play, while running a program in the background to monitor the GPU. You may notice the GPU never hits 90-100% usage. Getting a higher resolution monitor can actually help with this issue. :) 
m
l
January 11, 2011 8:05:46 PM

But anyway, would a CPU overclock help?
m
l
January 11, 2011 8:12:29 PM

Just ran BFBC2, got good FPS in a cutscene as I joined late in the game (45-55fps) on max detail. Waiting on a map change.
m
l
January 11, 2011 8:14:15 PM

Getting 40-60fps now. IDK what happened before :/ 
I can play with this, although I'd still like an overclock. Thanks for your help :) 
m
l
January 11, 2011 8:22:52 PM

Best answer selected by Kuytre.
m
l
a c 128 U Graphics card
January 11, 2011 8:23:40 PM

I was going to say to check the refresh rate on your monitor. That will have an effect also............... but I see an improvement came. Good.
m
l
January 11, 2011 8:55:08 PM

Is the AMD Phenom X3 2.3ghz 8650 really THAT bad?

I have a Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz + 5850 and all my games run fine at max settings on a LCD at 1280x1024.
m
l
a c 75 U Graphics card
January 11, 2011 8:58:34 PM

EnderWiggin said:
Is the AMD Phenom X3 2.3ghz 8650 really THAT bad?

I have a Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz + 5850 and all my games run fine at max settings on a LCD at 1280x1024.

First off, you're comparing your Quad Core to his Tri-Core. Second, the Intel Core 2 Quad or Core 2 Duo chips are much better performers than the AMD Phenom chips ever were. :)  So yes, you darn well should be getting better performance than him. The Intel CPUs get more done per clock cycle. And AMD chip has to run at a faster clock speed to keep up with the Intel chips.

Still that way even with the newest generations from both companies. Now, the AMD Phenom II chips are much better and are a better comparison to the Core 2 Quad or Core i series of chips.
m
l