Sign in with
Your question

My First Build....... HELP!!!!

Last response: in Systems
March 15, 2011 11:00:01 PM

I have just started building my very first gaming PC, and i have a couple of questions. Here is a quick overview of the components i plan to use thus far...

Case- Coolermaster haf 932
Mobo- Asus Crosshair IV Formula, ( MSI 890FXA-GD70 )
CPU- AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz
GPU- ATI Radeon 6970, (or a 6990 if its out by the time i am done)

Opinions on Hard Drives, Optical Drives, Sound cards, and anything else i may have missed are welcome. I just wanted some advice on the Guts of the system. One question i do have is what kind of wattage do i need from a power supply for this configuration.

The questions i have are
- What kind of power supply should i go with?
- And basically any other helpful advice anyone can offer?
- Which motherboard should i use?
- Will the listed items work together?
- Just help a n00b

More about : build

March 15, 2011 11:22:44 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Tecmo34
m
l
March 16, 2011 12:30:30 AM

Power supply of about 650 W should take care of your 6970 build, unless you are going to add another card in crossfire, then add a couple hundred more at least. If you are considering the 6990, then 700w/900w, respectively. Here are four examples of acceptable PSU manufacturers:

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W for $161

SILVERSTONE ST85F-P 850W for $156

COUGAR POWERX 700 for $111

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 for $90 After Rebate

Next, get a heat sink so that you can overclock this CPU - it is a Black Edition and designed for it. COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus for $38

The motherboard you selected is awesome - it calls for multiple cards, and Tom's Hardware just published an article that praised Radeon's for their scalability. Plan on purchasing at least one, if not two, more video cards to run them in Crossfire. If you don't think you are going to extend your system, then you might want to scale back, but you are asking for balance on this system, and multi-GPU is it.

Don't worry about a sound card - sound processing is on the motherboard.

Hard drive: Just get something simple: 1TB Samsung spinpoint F3 for $65

DVD: Are you going to hook this up to your HD big screen? Consider a blu ray. Otherwise, buy the cheapest DVD burner you can find for $21.

Last but not least: Monitors. This is what you see, and it ought to be impressive in a high end system. How about three of these: ASUS VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI for $180 each. These have 2ms response, decent price,
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2011 1:46:10 PM

Since i wrote this post yesterday i have decided to go with an intel rig. I am looking at doing the sandy bridge I7-2600k @ 3.4ghz. So now I am looking for another Mobo. I do want to eventually run crossfire. But i would like to start off with a single GPU because of money restrictions. I guess what im asking is for recommendations on what a good MOBO would be for this. And also Do i have to run dual GPUs or can i do one and then come back later and add another. I think also that i will scale back from the 6990. I would like a 2gb GPU so any reco would be appreciated. So i need a board that supports an I7 and also will do crossfire. cause i would rather run ATI than nvidia.
m
l
March 16, 2011 2:34:41 PM

If you are looking for a board that will support Crossfire and the Intel® Core™ I7 2600k take a look at the Intel Desktop Board BOXDP67BGB3. This board will support both Crossfire and SLI configurations in an x8/x8 set up. All the while giving you a stable platform from which to work.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
March 17, 2011 4:34:23 AM

Maybe the Asus P8P67-M? or Pro.
m
l
March 18, 2011 1:42:50 AM

Im looking for x16/x16
m
l
March 18, 2011 12:22:56 PM

Hmm if just gaming drop to the 955BE: Asus has confirmed CHIV is AM3+ ready so in this case investing in a top of the line AM3 16/16 pays off big time hehe

Asustek to Support Future AMD FX "Bulldozer" Chips on Current Mainboards - X-bit labs

Quote:
Asus is not the first company to announce AM3+ mainboards based on AMD 8-series chipsets, so in the end this solution could be officially supported by AMD. As a result, in case AM3+ sockets are not much different from AM3, other makers of mainboards will also follow Asus and will also release BIOS updates enabling operation of AM3+ processors on current platforms.

m
l
!