Amd 10.12 drivers

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I was hoping that someone could help me with the new catalyst drivers, 10.12. I recently purchased an xfx radeon HD6870 black edition. I installed the proper drivers from the amd website and they supposedly installed correctly. Unfortunately I can not play any games........ Window 7 works just fine but when I start to play any game it will only allow me to play for 5 maybe 10 minutes and will then freeze up or occasionally give me a BSOD. The BSOD doesn't give me any special code or assistance either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Even CPU tests in Windows? Just to rule out your Ram/CPU OC, try temporarily setting them back to stock and see if you can run any games.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

All the games I try, in fact even when I watch netflix online the card crashes. I'm running a 630w PSU that is supposedly set up for crossfire. I'm obviously not running two cards but I would assume that's enough power. Idk could the card be malfunctioning?

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
How does it freeze up, do you see weird colors on the screen, "artifacts"?

Unless your power supply is underpowered (defective) it is plenty for the card.

Strange that you have this issue with netflix, since it is only 2D and is not taxing on your card or PSU at all. That points more to having a defective card than a defective power supply.

Try running this: http://majorgeeks.com/Video_Memory_Stress_Test__d5896.html and see if you have any errors.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Usually, for example when I play dirt 2 or just cause 2 I can play for a few minutes sometimes ten and then the frame completely freezes. I don't see any obvious artifacts or off colors either, just simply stops. On occasion, about once every third time I'll get the BSOD or windows will shut down unexpectedly reporting an unknown error.

What are the temps of your CPU and GPU when running ?? Sounds like the system is overheating and shutting down to prevent damaging itself -- download GPU-z and monitor the temps of the video card (might want to check the CPU temp also)

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

My temps are good, according to GPU-z my idle temps are hovering around 35 to 40 degrees. My CPU is usually around 30 degrees at idle.

What are your load temperatures? You can use GPU-Z and make a log or HWMonitor and record the maximum temps.

Have you checked the stability of your core components (CPU, RAM) with programs such as LinX, Prime95, and/or memtest?

Is anything overclocked? Have you cleaned the case recently (if not new)?

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

My CPU temps haven't gone above 55 degrees at load, I only have a 10% OC on a amd 945 phenom II which only puts it at 3.3 ghz. I have 8GB of ddr3 ram running at 1702mhz. My previous card was a HD 4850 and everything stayed cool and reliable. The problem is that I can't keep the HD 6870 running long enough to run any tests.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Ahhah!! Ext64 thank you! I had set the ram frequency too high for the stock voltage. I reset everything back to default and was able to run everything perfect. As usual it's always operator error lol. Thanks For everyone's input it is much appreciated.