GTX 460 lag in Crysis (low res)

Hi, I have a pretty small, 17 inch monitor 1280x1024 so I thought a very powerful GPU would not be necessary to run most of my games so I bought an EVGA GTX 460 1GB with a Corsair HX650W to run it. Running Crysis at this resolution all settings very high I am usually gettings 30-40FPS with 2X AA, sometimes even lagging. Also, when I move a bit too fast, rocks and other objects are loading in front of me, its like the GPU can't keep up. Am I expecting a bit too much from a 460 or is there a serious problem with my PC? Thanks for the help.

I am happy with 30-40 frames per second, the biggest problem for me is the huge drop from 40 to 20 fps everytime I use speed bost or something explodes >_>

Specs:
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
MSI p55 GD65
Core i7 860 2.8GHz (Corsair H50 Liquid Cooling)
G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Corsair HX650W modular PSU
EVGA GTX 460 1GB Stock

Another quick question, will overclocking my i7 increase FPS in Crysis? As far as I know its GPU heavy, also CAN I overclock with 650W, I noticed many people are suggesting very high end power supplies for that...
6 answers Last reply
More about crysis
  1. sure the game is gpu heavy, but at the resolution you're playing at, that game is more cpu bound.
  2. Firstly, your PSU is fine.

Secondly:
    wh3resmycar said:
    sure the game is gpu heavy, but at the resolution you're playing at, that game is more cpu bound.

^ What he said. Try overclocking your CPU, with the H50 you could easily get a few more hundred MHz out of it.
  3. You won't need to overclock your CPU. I would initially have said it could be slow RAM but looking at your specs that seems fine also. Could you post a youtube vid or something so we can see? have you any other GPU intensiev games such as Metro 2033 you could compre to?
  4. I would try to overclock but I have never overclocked a cpu before so I am a bit nervous about it. I did try OC genie button on my motherboard. It took my i7 from stock 2.8 to almost 3.8GHZ, the only problem is that when i run all cores at 100% to test it, crash... blue screen... so I had to take it back to 2.8. I dont have any other intensive games to test, but i can if there is a demo for metro 2033 ill try it
  5. Anonymous said:
    I would try to overclock but I have never overclocked a cpu before so I am a bit nervous about it. I did try OC genie button on my motherboard. It took my i7 from stock 2.8 to almost 3.8GHZ, the only problem is that when i run all cores at 100% to test it, crash... blue screen... so I had to take it back to 2.8. I dont have any other intensive games to test, but i can if there is a demo for metro 2033 ill try it

Forget overclocking you shouldn't need to. Download the demo here:-
    http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/20971/Metro+2033+Demo
  6. I installed metro 2033, I am getting 20-40 fps, running at 1280x1021 dx11 16x AF very high, cant adjust AA for some reason... is that good or bad, I see most websites that review gtx 460 test it at much higher resolution. I am probably going to get another 4gb of ram, it seems like 4gb isnt enough for gaming anymore
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crysis Graphics