Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2011 10:24:54 AM

Hi guys,

I have a PC which has AMD Athlon II X2 245 2.9ghz cpu
4GB 800MHZ Ram
550W PSU
Win XP Pro 32 Bit

I am currently running a Gainward ATI 4850 512MB

I only play world of warcraft and currently on the new expansion Cataclysm.

I am not familiar with overclocking etc etc but I want to know if upgrading the gpu will make an improvement to my fps in 25 man raids.

Currently my settings are on "Good", I am running the game on 1920x1080 monitor full screen windowed mode, I have turned the shadows off and the settings are basically fair to good.

I get around 10 - 12 fps in raids and normal world play I can get up to 55 fps but its quite low in heavy populated areas.

My budget is around £120 maximum, so any ideas on what card I could upgrade to get better performance or do I need a CPU upgrade.

Thanks

More about : upgrade ati 4850

January 11, 2011 12:49:37 PM

Wow is pretty CPU bound, using the same card with i7 930 I had playable framerates everywhere at he same resolution, even in raids. I suggest you look twards a new CPU. Lucky for you, AMD offers lots of choices on upgrades for that socket. Check your motherboard for compatible upgrades at the manufactures site. Maybe look at a Phenom II 940 or higher, not sure exactly how many cores WOW usues.
January 11, 2011 12:53:52 PM

selks said:
Wow is pretty CPU bound, using the same card with i7 930 I had playable framerates everywhere at he same resolution, even in raids. I suggest you look twards a new CPU. Lucky for you, AMD offers lots of choices on upgrades for that socket. Check your motherboard for compatible upgrades at the manufactures site. Maybe look at a Phenom II 940 or higher, not sure exactly how many cores WOW usues.

Thanks for your reply mate.

I was thinking I might need a better CPU, wow was only using max 2 cores, but I am pretty sure wow can use more now in the new expansion.

Without changing my board I think I can push it to a Phenom II, I just need to check which one it can support and the Phenom II quad cores are pretty cheap now.
!