Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HAF 912 Optimal Fan Placement

Last response: in Components
June 16, 2011 3:55:27 AM

I recently purchased a HAF 912 case for my build. I have 4 120mm case fans, and would like to get an opinion on what the optimal placement would be for maximum cooling efficiency.

available fan slots for 120mm fans:

2x front
1x side
2x top
1x rear

I need at least one in the front for intake. The other 3 can realistically go anywhere. Cooling requirements are needed for the following components:

Athlon II x4 3.0ghz
HIS Radeon 6950 2gb (this is a big video card that will take up a large section of the case - may affect air flow)
8gb G.Skill Eco
1 3.5" HD

I will be taking out the extra unnecessary drive bays in the middle to help with air intake (and so the video card will fit better), if that affects placement at all.
a c 144 ) Power supply
June 16, 2011 4:11:49 AM

Rule of thumb is front and side - intake, and back and top - exhaust.

With 4 fans, I'd put 2 on the front and 2 on top with the CPU heatsink oriented vertically.

You could also put 2 in front, 1 in back, and 1 on top with the heatsink oriented horizontally. Probably will not make much difference.

Best solution

June 21, 2011 6:37:02 PM

Ideally you want everything pull THRU the front where the dust filter is. So if you add side fan have it pull the hot air OUT don't blow in from side unless you add dust filter. 2 in front and 2 on top probably best option. or get you a 200mm for front and 200mm for the top :) 
Related resources
June 21, 2011 7:21:42 PM

jgbenson said:
Ideally you want everything pull THRU the front where the dust filter is. So if you add side fan have it pull the hot air OUT don't blow in from side unless you add dust filter. 2 in front and 2 on top probably best option. or get you a 200mm for front and 200mm for the top :) 

So my setup right now is 1x 200mm in front (intake), 2x 120mm on top (exhaust), 1x 120mm side (intake), 1x 120mm rear (exhaust). The CFM's total out to make a slightly negative pressure system (the 2x 120mm top combined have higher throughput than the 200mm front, the other two cancel each other out).

I have read in different places that the side fan should always be intake, although I agree with the point about the filter for sure. I just picked up a fan controller (Sunbeamtech Rheosmart 3-channel fan controller) that should help regulate the noise levels during non-gaming sessions (man those fans are loud!)

Thanks for the advice, appreciate the input!
June 21, 2011 7:51:27 PM

well with a 6950 2gb you'll probably want to push more toward them so use the 1 slot for a 120mm fan on the side to do that apart from that you do want an exhaust for both your heatsink and your graphics card so put 1 120mm fan on the top and 1 in the back. You don't really have a hard drive cooling problem but id still use the port in the front for a 120mm. Oh and make sure that its pointed at your hard drive witch should be in the top bays
June 21, 2011 8:05:08 PM

Best answer selected by defever3.
!