Cable J

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Hello,

Is there a way to connect a WiFi enabled cell phone to a wired Interenet socket. The phone can only handle WiFi. Wireless routers, I've seen are big to travel with.

Many thanks

a) No, the wi-fi is internal to the phone. Unless the phone has an Ethernet slot built into it (unlikely) you simply use the existing wi-fi network.

b) Are there actually many places that enable you to plug in your own Router? I would think that most places would already have wi-fi (like hotels) and would give you the code to punch into your phone or laptop to access the secured wi-fi network.

If a hotel room offered ETHERNET only, then there would already be an Ethernet slot (probably next to the phone jack) which you would need to plug into your device.

Actually, the ROUTER plugs into a phone jack. If Ethernet is offered then you should already have the Ethernet jack available. If so, you want an Ethernet SPLITTER to support multiple Ethernet devices using the same Ethernet connection, not a ROUTER.

Cable J

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011

Yes, there don't seem to be any phones with an Ethernet slot.

Most cyber rooms in Africa are hard wired only, hence I need - Etherenet cable to the phone 'convertor'. Perhaps a techno could hack into the phone and create a slot. Or make a small WiFi transmitter/ receiver. Since the 'router' and the phone can be physically connected I probably need a 'Femto Router' (-: The Pico Router is inexpensive but a performance overkill, and too large to carry in a pocket.

Thank you for your reply

(-: